Ads

Poll
Question: Do you want to work on Cebegia?
Yes - 22 (84.6%)
No - 4 (15.4%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: [poll] Revival  (Read 4937 times)
I'm Retired, Ask Nomadic
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2006, 03:56:35 PM »

Jurgen, here's what I posted above about a wiki:

Ishmayl, about 3 posts ago

Wiki is probably not going to happen. At least, not for awhile. The Wiki plugins for e107 are crappy at best, and down right dangerous (to the database) at worse. Possibly, if they're ever updated, we'll move to that.

!turtle Ishmayl, Overlord of the CBG

- Proud Recipient of the Kishar Badge
- Proud Wearer of the \"Help Eldo Set up a Glossary\" Badge
- Proud Bearer of the Badge of the Jade Stage
- Part of the WikiCrew, striving to make the CBG Wiki the best wiki in the WORLD

For finite types, like human beings, getting the mind around the concept of infinity is tough going.  Apparently, the same is true for cows.

official loser
Modron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2006, 05:15:28 PM »

There's nothing stopping us from having a non-e107 wiki. It'd have to have different (or no) logins, but that doesn't really cause me worry.

"The perfect is the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

Yrthak

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2006, 06:38:51 PM »

Check out the thread I just posted.

You're welcome.

I'm Retired, Ask Nomadic
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2006, 08:44:20 PM »

Brainface is working on one for the site... it doesn't really make much sense to me to be spreading the content out on multiple sites (such as the separate IRC site and such)

- Part of the WikiCrew, striving to make the CBG Wiki the best wiki in the WORLD

For finite types, like human beings, getting the mind around the concept of infinity is tough going.  Apparently, the same is true for cows.

I'm Retired, Ask Nomadic
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2006, 09:07:05 PM »

Okay, working on getting a bit of a wiki goin here... a couple things to think about:

Can just anyone submit anything they want and it automatically shows up, or should you do an authorization process (much like the content on this site) that Xathan (or Turin) would have to look over and approve.

Do you want anyone at all that is registered on the CBG to be able to edit anything on the wiki, or should only certain members (those who are actually going to be active) be allowed to edit anything?

That's it for now, maybe we should figure this out.

Just a figment of your imagination
Flail Snail

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2006, 10:10:43 PM »

I think limiting the editing abilities is the way to go. Once something is completed it should go to the leader(s) for clean up and posting. That is if the leader(s) want that type of responsiblity and work. Only having a few people able to edit the Cebegia Wiki would mean that they would probably have a considerable amount of work to do. If nobody want the responsiblity then I guess it would have to be editible by any member of CBG. Allowing anyone registered to the CBG to edit it could be dangerous. We have been lucky so far, everyone here is ("mostly") mature, but it would only take one childish person to come along and taint months of work. I will try to be active in this second coming of Cebegia, but I don't think I will need the ability to edit a Wiki.

--I hoped that made sense. I will edit it in the morning, if it doesn't. I need sleep.

Edit:eh nm then

Markas Dalton

official loser
Modron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2006, 10:40:47 PM »

Meh, you can rollback wikis. Like you can see a changelog and ip list of who made the changes. And then undo them. Deleting months of effort in mediawiki would take a truly ironic amount of work.

I put one up at http://thecbg.org/wiki , (totally usurping limetoms work :|). It's currently set to allow anything to edit. We can restrict settings later if we need to. I'm not too concerned about it right now.

Flail Snail

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2006, 07:04:43 AM »

Ok so I guess allowing all registered members of CBG to edit would be fine.

Markas Dalton

I'm Retired, Ask Nomadic
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2006, 04:23:40 PM »

Yeah, we can probably do that for now.  I see no problem with it.  Let's let Xathan and Turin make the final decision though.

[insert witty statement here]
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2006, 04:24:44 PM »

I'm fine with it, so long as Turin oks it - I want him to still lead this project, since he had it from the beginning. (and, frankly, knows more about it than I do) smile

AnIndex of My Work

Sparkletwist

It's llitul and the brain, llitul and the brain, one is a genius and the other's insane
Proud Receiver of a Golden Dorito

A Túrin Turambar turún' ambartanen!
Modron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2006, 08:32:06 AM »

As for the Wiki:
1) someone will have to explain to me how it works and what I'm expected to do;
2) someone please restate the benefit of using a Wiki over our current format (dicussion and vote threads in a forum), I didn't quite catch that.

Other than that, let's get back into this.
Túrin

Proud owner of a Golden Dorito Award
My setting Orden's Mysteries is no longer being updated

"Then shall the last battle be gathered on the fields of Valinor. In that day Tulkas shall strive with Melko, and on his right shall stand Fionwe and on his left Turin Turambar, son of Hurin, Conqueror of Fate; and it shall be the black sword of Turin that deals unto Melko his death and final end; and so shall the Children of Hurin and all men be avenged." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Shaping of Middle-Earth

I'm Retired, Ask Nomadic
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2006, 03:45:53 PM »

I think the main benefit, Turin, is that it's a more immediately-organized form for presenting the content.  Meaning, the way a wiki works lets you build indexes, tables of content, links systems, and well-structured pages without having to know any real code, or without having to have a moderator's editing abilities on the first thread (for example).

Flail Snail

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2006, 09:57:55 PM »

We would still use the vote and discussion here. After we have made a decision would be cleaned up and then placed on the Wiki.

Markas Dalton

official loser
Modron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2006, 11:37:43 PM »

I dunno about putting limits on how content can be added when there's currently no content for this being created at all. I figured the point of the wiki was to make casual additions possible?

Zombies Ate My Nieghbors
Gibbering Mouther

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2007, 05:42:17 PM »

I would be more than happy to head up a division or task in the creation process. Plus the idea of a community setting is something that really appeals to me. I'm all in.

"The best defense is a dead opponent."

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: