Ads

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alt (Dash) Blur  (Read 7223 times)
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 10:58:16 AM »

Hm. Once again I understand you. I think I'll put in a short explanation for anyone erudite enough to be troubled by the situation. Thank you.

Spawn of Ungoliant
Flumph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 02:53:45 PM »

An End to Hunger.

It almost seems inappropriate to play this one in person; play-by-post suits it better.

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 08:18:55 PM »

Oh yes, now I remember that story. Thank you for the link- I did not know it was also available online! You are right- that is the exact type of feel for Alt (Dash) Blur- the sense of wonder, excitement, cool technology, flippancy, secrecy, and danger.

I think you are right that a group could work playing this in play-by-post... or even better play-by-chat. But logicistically, with everyone doing their own thing- it seems like an in person 3 player or 4 player game could get quite boring?

Spawn of Ungoliant
Flumph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 03:09:38 AM »

Yeah I agree that a group probably wouldn't work well.  I suppose the main advantage to single player is that meetings are easier to arrange.

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 10:39:57 AM »

I updated the game types above (and reproduced the update in the spoiler below:

@Steerpike,

Well, I could imagine an interesting type of internet Play by post game done with this system. If everyone has several different types of chat software, they could have,, for example: Skype, AIM, two email programs, MIRC chat, and be surfing and searching for hints on the GM's website (and other sites) concurrently while hints and information is going out. They could also collaborate with other players who are allegedly "running diagnostics" and who receive other information.

This perhaps could work as a LARP where one GM exists per every three players- but the logistics of that would be difficult to arrange.

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2009, 12:13:12 AM »

Made some small tweaks and updates.

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2009, 01:50:43 AM »

Added a small tale for the Paranormals:

Paranormals

"See, it's like this- not everything here's on the up and up and normal and like." Tebow took a long puff from his pipe-- then immediately started coughing. When he was done, he looked up, and wiped an elbow across his face. "Smoke gets in yer eyes, ya know." He stood up and walked to the computer. "Sometimes you can't see what's going on." He twisted the monitor to face me. "But I can. And you will." He typed an address into the Browser.

What the Browser spat back blew my mind.

"That's just some Flash shit?" I asked.

Tebow shook his head. "Naw. It's an EPG in a webcam... monitors the waves in the room-"

"So like cellphone and x-rays?"

"Sorta. See how that one looks like a person- Damn." Tebow reached for his lighter. "Gotta keep this place warmer."

The EPG showed a form, like that of a man, six foot seven, standing beside me. I looked over, felt a chill, and a sudden sense of dread.

"The 'normals can only be tracked by digital." Tebow said, as he waved the lighter. The chill ceased and the form fled the screen. "Heat keeps them away."

"Really, heat?" I asked, turning around to see where the form had gone.

"Yeah. Ever wonder why they have so many suicides in Scandanavia?" Tebow asked. "These things prey on fear and doubt- they make you do things that you may not want." He shook his head. "And they don't usually take notice of you, but when they do- they're relentless."

I looked at him, shocked. "What- What makes them take notice of you?" I asked.

"Oh." He coughed. "Yeah. About that." He shook his head. "They only start taking notice of you when you take notice of them. Once you've seen one, they're gonna keep coming back."

My face must have gone white.

Tebow cackled. "Sorry 'bout that, but I need someone to carry on my work when I finally-" he hacked "join them on the other side."

Spawn of Ungoliant
Flumph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2009, 11:29:28 AM »

Creepy!  Oncoming Canadian winter is creeping me out now...

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2009, 12:45:59 PM »

Just be sure to keep warm. smile

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: