Do you understand what "vanilla fantasy" means anymore?

<< < (3/17) > >>

Nomadic:
Vanilla makes good ice cream.... not so much for fantasy.

Gamer Printshop:
When one says, "vanilla fantasy", the first thing that pops into my head is the "World of Greyhawk" - which, to me, is the epitome of vanilla fantasy.

GP

LordVreeg:
Gamer Printshop
When one says, "vanilla fantasy", the first thing that pops into my head is the "World of Greyhawk" - which, to me, is the epitome of vanilla fantasy.

GP

yes.  I as well.

Steerpike:
Heh this kind of reminds me of indie music somehow.  I was thinking of Eberron and whether Eberron could be called vanilla.  On the one hand, it's not really post-Tolkienian.  On the other, many people seem to be concieving of vanilla as: "typical, standard, default; popular."  If Eberron supercedes Greyhawk as the "standard" (or most popular) roleplaying setting, does it not itself become vanilla?  And isn't that ironic, in that part of the appeal of Eberron (at least for many) is that it deliberately strays from and works against well-worn or "vanilla" tropes?  It's like indie music that becomes popular and therefore mainstream: no longer indie anymore.

The interesting question is whether that changes the merit of a given work (does Eberron become "worse" as it becomes mainstream, as it loses its avant-garde appeal?).  I want to say no, but I get tangled up in my own distaste for post-Tolkienian fantasy, which I think relates to my distaste for the "vanilla".

A tangential but perhaps vitally important question is whether there always has to be a vanilla/standard/typical idea of fantasy for the avant-garde to define itself against, or whether it's possible to have no norm or standard/typical/vanilla fantasy setting at all.  How much is popularity tied intrinsically or proportionately to vanilla-ness?

Elemental_Elf:
I don't understand the haughty attitude many have against 'vanilla fantasy.' Just because Jimmy's world draws on the standard tropes of fantasy literature doesn't make it any less of a legitimate world than your dystopian pineapple-shaped world populated by god-less broccoli valkyries.   :mad:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page