Ads

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 49
  Print  
Author Topic: [Forum Game] The World at Dawn!  (Read 21037 times)
The Holiest of Carp
Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
« on: August 16, 2007, 03:42:50 AM »

The World at Dawn

Once, our people were nomads '“ men, women, and children without homes, wandering the empty deserts and trackless seas.  We ate when we found food and slept when we found shelter.  The storytellers say that these were simpler and darker times, when life was fleeting and prosperity ever elusive.

I do not believe it.  My grandfather tilled the land, as I do.  My children, too, shall till the land, and this land shall be our home, this land beneath the walls of our mighty city.  For all time, we have lived this way; the storytellers speak these myths not to describe the past, but to warn us against the future.  There are indeed some who do live as they describe '“ certainly, more beast than man '“ and they may yet become covetous of our eternal home, our prosperous motherland.

I will till this soil until the day I die '“ but I will also remain vigilant, for even the prophets among us cannot always say what the future will bring.

The World at Dawn '“ A cooperative story-game by Mithridates (and you!)

I'm going to try a special kind of forum game here.  If people are interested, we'll do it.  Let's get right to it and answer some questions you might have.

Q: What is this?
A: This is a forum game.  It's not a forum game like word association, though '“ it's a bit more complex.  This particular kind of forum game was invented on some Civilization (the computer game) internet forums that I frequent.  I've always found it helpful when thinking up campaigns, and it occurred to me that people here might like it too.

Q: How does it work?
A: This game is basically a moderated story '“ or if you like, D&D writ large.  It is essentially a role-playing game, except instead of playing an adventurer, you are playing the leader of a people '“ specifically, a city-state in a fictional world currently in the rough equivalent of Earth's Bronze Age.  Like D&D, this game has a DM (that's me).

The basic system is this: You, the player, post stuff in this thread that describes your city state and what's going on in it.  You post 'orders' '“ you write about what's going on in your city-state '“ and once I read your orders, I post a periodic 'update,' which describes what has gone on in the game world during that period of time.  After the update is posted, you post orders again, and so on.

This is a cooperative game, and you cooperate both with me and with each other.  You can engage in diplomacy with other players (in game, of course), ally with them against 'NPC' peoples, or even go to war with each other.  As the moderator, I use your stories to decide what exactly happens that round.  For example, you can attack your neighbor, and I will post in the update about how the war went.

D&D is played with a plethora of rules '“ the DM doesn't decide how much damage you hit the goblin for, the dice do.  In this game, I decide these things, but that doesn't mean there aren't rules.  Each nation does have its own statistics, describing things like prosperity, happiness, religion, culture, and military strength.  I use these and a bit of imagination to determine the outcome of your ventures.  Remember that this is less of a competitive game than a cooperative story; over time we'll hopefully develop a vibrant, intriguing world that has evolved from your imaginations and mine.

Q: So can I win this game?
A: Not really, no.  Playing a nation of pacifists and a nation of warmongers are both equally viable ways to play.  Your nation might be extinguished, but you can always rejoin the game as another people on the fringes of the known world, or another entity that I've been controlling.  Civilizations rise and fall in the real world, and we'll have that happen here too.  Having your nation go down in a blaze of glory can actually be rather satisfying.  To quote another moderator on another forum:

Arid
Orange = Semi-arid (steppe, sahel, prairie)
Brown = Highlands and alpine
Very light green = Marsh
Green = Mixed grassland and woodland
Dark Green = Heavily forested
Black = Unexplored!

[img

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3778/smallnesclimatezq2.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Tillumni » Logged

The Clockwork Jungle (wiki | thread)
Synergy - A system in progress
"The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way." - Marcus Aurelius

Aha!
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 08:09:52 AM »

Looks like fun!

Name: Free State of Inveran
Government: Oligarchal Meritocracy. There is a ruling house, and the best qualified from this house are chosen as leaders.
Religion: They worship Dragon Saints. Each one has a portfolio and list of heroic deeds. Whether they were (or are) actual dragons is unknown.
Culture: Due to its location, the Culture of Inveran has been developed in isolation. Music is a prevalent form of entertainment, acting is unknown, and literature has just started in the topics of History and Religion. Daily life is based around fishing, from where they get most of their food, and religion, which they practice heartily.

Location: Two of the islands in that little cluster, preferably the big one closest in that's got four small ones around it and one of the small ones. I dub that chain the Inverness, and the Continent to the North the Lost Lands (at least to my people).

In Character

To my Brother Aristo,

I hope that my servant finds you in good condition, I have heard of storms that have recently passed though the Inverness, and hope that none of the fishing vessels were destroyed. May Draograith, Dragon Master of the Sea, protect them!

For me, I am dutifully exploring the Lost Lands as Your Lordship has requested, and am sending with my servant samples of flora and fauna that I have collected. My expedition is still mostly intact, although we did loose Plutus to a wild cat.

I received your letter, and am truly startled at some of the decisions you have made. Did I read correctly that you are actually financing the ramblings of madmen, and recruiting a full-sized army? Besides that, I am very interested to hear more about this mine that you have started, and I look forward to seeing the new temple to the Dragon Saints.

You neglected to mention the colony in your last letter, how does it fare? I have not been privileged enough to receive letters from our brother Lord Leogo.

Yours in love,
Publictus

Out of Character

Condensed and Filtered Orders
    *Exploring the Lost Lands, see whats out there.
    *Building up a scientific trend in our city, hopefully bringing about new inventions and technology.
    *A second city, colony-sized, which trades with the Capitol.
    *Building up an army, with which to defend ourselves.
    *Developing Religion by constructing dedicated temples.

My Setting: Dilandri, The World of Five
Badges:

Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 02:07:48 PM »

NAME: NARGAQ
 GOVERNMENT: Council of elders from the five ruling clans; Raven, Wolf, Fox, Bass, Otter. The Raven elder makes the final desicion if there is a tie in votes for something(essentially the Raven clan elder is the leader with the others as advisors and congress, etc.)
 Religion:Each clan worships the their ancestral spirit. The nation as a whole worships nature.
 Culture:The nation of Nargaq, even with the peoples being slightly nomadic have a main city in the area with wich they stay; Northern most brown area by the two rivers and the dense forest area. The city is at the edge of the southern of the two rivers. Even with them being a tribaal nation, they are quite civilized

[ooc Current Orders]> Expand
                     > Mole clan is developing a network of tunnels.
                     > Otter clan is developing more efficient canoes
                     > Beaver clan is working on dams
                     > Develop barracks and fortresses and such[/ooc]

[spoiler The Welcoming song]Welcome new member,
Hope you like it here,
Just don't let these guys,
Talk off your ear.

When we get annoying,
Which happens quite often,
Be annoying too,
And our hearts will soften.

If ever you're bored,
Just show up online,
We wash away boredom,
In absolutely no time.[/spoiler]

[spoiler The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins]In the middle of the earth in the land of the Shire
lives a brave little hobbit whom we all admire.
With his long wooden pipe,
fuzzy, woolly toes,
he lives in a hobbit-hole and everybody knows him

Bilbo! Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins
He's only three feet tall
The bravest little hobbit of them all

Now hobbits are a peace-lovin' folks you know
They don't like to hurry and they take things slow
They don't like to travel away from home
They just want to eat and be left alone
But one day Bilbo was asked to go
on a big adventure to the caves below,
to help some dwarves get back their gold
that was stolen by a dragon in the days of old.

Well he fought with the goblins!
He battled a troll!!
He riddled with Gollum!!!
A magic ring he stole!!!!
He was chased by wolves!!!!!
Lost in the forest!!!!!!
Escaped in a barrel from the elf-king's halls!!!!!!!

Now he's back in his hole in the land of the Shire,
that brave little hobbit whom we all admire,
just a-sittin' on a treasure of silver and gold
a-puffin' on his pipe in his hobbit-hole.

CLICK HERE! [/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

The Holiest of Carp
Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 11:22:57 PM »

Thanks, guys.  I'll begin an update when we get some more players.  I'll also be introducing the "stats" (our city-state equivalent to Str, Dex, and so on) with the first update.  Keep those stories coming - the richer the detail you give me, the more I have to work with!

"The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way." - Marcus Aurelius

Hwah! Executive Privilege
Modron

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 11:49:55 PM »

Name: Ruthern, Ruthernians.
Government: Theocracy, worshiping the God of Skies, Runethain. One High Priest, a new one chosen every 7 years by an omen from Runethain.
Religion: The Ruthernians believe Runethain was the creator of all the heavens.
Culture: The people are hard workers, and many aspire to become priests of Runethain.

Location: the tip of the largest southern-pointing peninsula sticking out of the "Lost Lands", as SG's people call them. They refer to them as Hreshinkarth.

Out of Character

Orders:

1.)Expand the Ruthernian Empire
2.)Develop more efficient agricultural methods
3.)Explore

Aha!
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 11:53:00 PM »

Out of Character

you forgot two steps:

4)...?
5)Profit!

I've got a hunch we'll be working together relatively soon Sir Vorpal

Badges:

The Holiest of Carp
Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 11:16:59 PM »

The first update will be on Sunday.  Anyone else who wants to get in by then just has to post their city-state description, but you can also join any time afterward.

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 11:26:57 AM »

Name: Southern Invernessi Machta-In (Southmen, Invernessi)

Government: Monarchy (officially), although local rulers have a lot of free reign. Machta Sedoon is the current ruler, although arguably the most powerful man in the Alliance would be his uncle, Padre.

Religion: The Machta-In - a local dialect term for 'Of the Ruler' - follows a pantheon of adopted, renamed and modified faiths combined into the Sadat Tomes. Sections of these Tomes - which detail, amongst other things, what foods may be eaten on holy days, the ways that the body should be cleansed, and the direction you must face whilst in worship to each of the six Triunes (groups of three gods each representing one thing) - are memorised by children, taught by their parents. The Triunes are made up of bad, good, and neutral deities - one for each. The bad deities are generally entreated to curse things under their powers, whilst good deities are called upon for blessings. The neutral gods, who are more powerful than the others in their Triune alone, are judges, called upon to put an end to curses or blessings or provide guidance in matters under their spheres. The Triunes are named thus: Zakha (The Home, Family, Children, Women and Health), Nukt (Fire, Earth, Stone, Volcanoes, Earthquakes), Duus (Crafts, Metalworking, Woodworking etc), Shana (Water, Bridges, Boats, Aquatic Animals and Fishing), Ramala (Hunting, Forests, Animals, Men and Fighting) and Dukil (Writing, Language, Scribes, Secrets and Death). Each of the Triunes is considered to be both one being and three at the same time, and temples often have three statues on the same base to represent this. The House of Priests, the greatest temple in the Machta-In, is essentially a six-pointed star with each corner marked by a shrine. It is here that the priests meet to appoint a new Machta, though although none may voice it, there is a likelihood that these decisions are often influenced by bribery or threats rather than the will of the Triunes.

Culture: Unlike their more northern equivalents, the 'kingdom' of the southern Invernessi has never been truly unified. Forty years ago, Danha Danhul, the leader of one of the miniscule island princedoms scattered across the south, invaded the princedom of Danha Sadhuk, and by doing so set off a war that would take Danhul all the way to being crowned as Machta seven years later. It was he who gave the priests the power to elect the new Machta, and he who established a dominant culture. The Invernessi of the south may speak a mere dialect of the tongue used elsewhere, but it has distinct differences from any other language of its type - thanks to Danhul's unification of the multiple speeches used across the islands. Among other things, he also created an official priesthood and has pioneered the first form of writing in the South - a restricted pictographic alphabet known only by scribes.

Despite their new-found civilisation, the southmen retain their proud and sometimes violent nature in regards to other people. Although Machta Sedoon is technically the head of his nation, he has problems controlling anything more than whatever town he is in at that moment, especially without any major victories (unlike his uncle, who crushed a heretical rebellion in the southernmost islands two years ago). They will need a strong leader - or Sedoon to take a change of heart - to prevent a degeneration into the Princedoms once more (instead of a unified Inverness as Sedoon imagines). It is possible that they are not truly of the same ethnic origin as the northerners - rather, they are thought to originally be from the steppes to the far south. How they reached the Inverness, however, is a question that cannot yet be answered.

Location: The Southernmost three islands, beneath the block held by Inveran.

Out of Character

Goals:

1) Sedoon is desperately working towards engineering a false triumph for himself, calling in every favour he can and manipulating the heretical ex-rebels in the southernmost islands.

2) Padre, on the other hand, is attempting to humiliate his nephew at every turn so that he can replace him and secure the islands properly. If Sedoon shows that he is a strong ruler, he will break off from this goal.

3) Officially, the nation is seeking out new territories to lay claim to (this is Sedoon's secondary attempt at finding a victory) and attempting to negotiate with outside powers to at least stave them off for a short time. They have sent one diplomat to Inderan, bearing the following message:

In Character

Brothers,
Sharing as we do the same lands, and similar tongue, and perhaps even the same ancestors, it would surely be wise to work towards our common goals together, that the Inverness may truly be unified under one alliance, and that we may both profit from trade.

Yours in comradeship;
Machta Sedoon.

The Holiest of Carp
Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 06:08:24 PM »

It occurs to me that I should probably ask what kind of time frame you guys are interested in.  Each update spans a certain amount of time; I was originally planning 50 years per update, but I'm willing to do whatever has a consensus here.  Shorter update periods will mean more chance to develop individual characters, leaders, and so on, but growth and technological advances will take longer.  Longer update periods, of course, will mean the reverse - advances will come faster but any character you start writing about in one round will most certainly be dead by the next.  I'm willing to go either way.  Any opinions?

Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 06:16:49 PM »

maybe 10 years?15?

Hope you like it here,
Talk off your ear.

When we get annoying,
Be annoying too,

If ever you're bored,
Just show up online,
We wash away boredom,

[spoiler The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins]In the middle of the earth in the land of the Shire
fuzzy, woolly toes,

He battled a troll!!
Lost in the forest!!!!!!

CLICK HERE! [/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Aha!
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 06:28:56 PM »

I'd say about 25. We can see how it goes, then adjust as we go along, if we feel it necessary.

Badges:

The Holiest of Carp
Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 07:38:03 PM »

I also like 25.  10-15 might be too short if we ever want to move past the early bronze age.

Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 07:58:59 PM »

sure, that sounds good

Hope you like it here,
Talk off your ear.

When we get annoying,
Be annoying too,

If ever you're bored,
Just show up online,
We wash away boredom,

fuzzy, woolly toes,

He battled a troll!!
Lost in the forest!!!!!!

CLICK HERE! [/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Aha!
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2007, 08:01:20 PM »

And if we wanted to, we could have an occasional 'leap' that covers a significantly larger amount of time, if we ever feel it's getting stagnant.

Badges:

The Holiest of Carp
Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2007, 08:14:02 PM »

Stargate525

And if we wanted to, we could have an occasional 'leap' that covers a significantly larger amount of time, if we ever feel it's getting stagnant.

Something that's been done with other games of this type before is called BT/IT, or "Boring Times/ Interesting Times."  The premise is a lot like what your suggestion; the game covers certain periods of "interest" while skipping stretches of "boring" time.  We can do something like this if we get to a period of "boredom" - which would most likely be a period of hegemony (think Roman Empire).  We'll cross that bridge when we come to it, but it's certainly an option.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 49
  Print  

Jump to: