Ads

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Discussion: Psionics?  (Read 4513 times)
Zombies Ate My Nieghbors
Gibbering Mouther

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2007, 02:50:46 PM »

We could do something along the lines of buddhism to explain the origins of psionics.

In ancient times there was an individual who sought true enlightenment. After many experiences, journeys and self-contemplation he achieved said enlightenment and discovered psionics. He gained followers and created a "religion" or sorts, although there is no deity. Just a principal, a goal, and a practice.

"The best defense is a dead opponent."

[insert witty statement here]
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2007, 04:41:34 PM »

I thought I'd reopen this discussion, mainly because I love psionics. If something else was discussed somewhere else and I didn't see it, my apologies.

Here are my thoughts:

Psionis manifest randomly in most regions and the empire, except for a select few regions where people are either more naturally psionically inclined or it is part of the local belief system. Psionics represent the worship and idealism of the totem of self - which ties into MittenNinja's idea of a quasi-Buddhist approach to psionics.

To most of the people of the world, however, psionics are strange and frightening - its magic without the obvious signs, the incantations and prayers that magic is supposed to have. To them, someone muttering the proper formulas or praying to the proper gods and getting the result is the way things should work. Totem of self? Just thoughts? That's unnatural, aberrant, and anathema.

Yes, I'm a big fan of the persecuted psion cliche.

AnIndex of My Work

Sparkletwist

It's llitul and the brain, llitul and the brain, one is a genius and the other's insane
Proud Receiver of a Golden Dorito

The Captain of Crunch
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2007, 05:07:47 AM »

I'm really liking Soup Nazi's interpretation. Very nice, can remain hidden for the DMs who don't like psionics, but gives it a place in the world. Though Xathan's ideas are good to.

If we use Xathan's ideas, I'd love if Monks were linked with Psionics in some way. Not giving them powers, per say (except maybe having a house rule to let them take Wild Talent as their 1st level bonus feat, Mental Leap as their Second Level bonus feat, and Up the Walls as their 5th level bonus feat), but linking it to the whole "path of perfection" doctrine. Maybe the old ways of Psionics were lost as a whole, but the Monks retained the spirit of it, continuing the growth until Psionics reemerges.

As for why I always suggest removing things, I just like everything to have its place. I'm not a "kitchen sink" kind of guy.

Endless Horizons: Action and adventure set in a grand world ripe for exploration.

Proud recipient of the Silver Tortoise Award for extra Krunchyness.

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2007, 10:33:27 AM »

I second the motion for monks to be psionically linked. Their abilities can be treated as psionic easily.

Zombies Ate My Nieghbors
Gibbering Mouther

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2007, 06:52:55 PM »

Thirded.

I agree with allowing some psionic feats to be taken instead of the monk bonus feats at 1st,2nd and 6th lvl. I'm sure we could throw in some other alt class features/feats designed for it too.

"The best defense is a dead opponent."

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: