Ads

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Discussion: Technology and Magic levels  (Read 6150 times)
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 10:15:10 AM »

Low magic, low tech. However, there are some amazingly innovative feats of technology (such as the huge ship, great works of architecture etc) which are still within the realms of low tech, but moving towards middling.

A Túrin Turambar turún' ambartanen!
Modron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 10:53:21 AM »

Wensleydale

Low magic, low tech. However, there are some amazingly innovative feats of technology (such as the huge ship, great works of architecture etc) which are still within the realms of low tech, but moving towards middling.

QFT. Just look at what the old Egyptians did with their pyramids and all.

And the fact that they were created with low technology makes these things even more amazing than they otherwise would have been.

Proud owner of a Golden Dorito Award
My setting Orden's Mysteries is no longer being updated

"Then shall the last battle be gathered on the fields of Valinor. In that day Tulkas shall strive with Melko, and on his right shall stand Fionwe and on his left Turin Turambar, son of Hurin, Conqueror of Fate; and it shall be the black sword of Turin that deals unto Melko his death and final end; and so shall the Children of Hurin and all men be avenged." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Shaping of Middle-Earth

Zombies Ate My Nieghbors
Gibbering Mouther

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 11:03:34 AM »

Túrin

Wensleydale

And the fact that they were created with low technology makes these things even more amazing than they otherwise would have been.

I second (or in this case third) the low/low with some near mid applications approach.

"The best defense is a dead opponent."

Just a figment of your imagination
Flail Snail

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 12:05:51 PM »

Túrin

But they had aliens to help them

Markas Dalton

Stream-of-Consiousness Prophet.
Flumph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 12:07:09 PM »

Ah.  Been doing real work.  Back now.  Good discussion here.

I have already thrown in witrh the low/low with a bit of mid thrown in for spice and balance.

Someone brilliant mentioned pyramids.  Aside from the wonderful example it gives us of low tech achievemnts, it brings to the fore something that is also cool.  

Is it feasible and aceptable to all to have certain higher magics and higher tech lost after the old Pre-Empire fell (Pre-Empire Tech has such a nice ring to it)..so we can have some pyramid-esqyq monuments dotting the landscape...and some readymade cool adventures, and an excuse for the army of Nib the Inoccuous showing up on a battle with weapon X from an 'Old Place'.

Not to mention the inevitable 'wasteland territory' created by a few too many bad summoning experiments from drunken Pre-Empire mages.

Back to work.

VerkonenVreeg, The Nice.Celtricia, World of Factions

Steel Island Online gaming thread
The Collegium Arcana Online Game
Old, evil, twisted, damaged, and afflicted.  Orbis non sufficit.Thread Murderer Extraordinaire, and supposedly pragmatic...\"That is my interpretation. That the same rules designed to reduce the role of the GM and to empower the player also destroyed the autonomy to create a consistent setting. And more importantly, these rules reduce the Roleplaying component of what is supposed to be a \'Fantasy Roleplaying game\' to something else\"-Vreeg

Aha!
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 12:09:52 PM »

aye, and some rather impressive mechanics as well.

To be blunt, a ship the size we were talking about would need at least 17-18th century shipbuilding technology to make it even feasible. That or some seriously unique materials or methods.

I guess I'm for middle/low, as low magic settings require some serious retooling to make sure PC characters can't quickly rule the world.

My Setting: Dilandri, The World of Five
Badges:

Flail Snail

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2007, 12:35:13 PM »

A few druids (slaves from other regions) having Wood Shape spell would allow them to make things with less technology, and it is only a second level spell so high level druids or magic users are not needed. A ship that big would probably taken decades to build. (I still like a ship about 250 ft long not 1000 ft)

A few permanent ironwood spells and their ships would be stronger than other nations. (I know the permancy doesn't list ironwood as one of the spells, but maybe the Empire found a way to make it work.)

Markas Dalton

[insert witty statement here]
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2007, 12:54:10 PM »

Okay, now that I've gotten over my super high magic buzz (since that really doesn't jive with everything else in CeBeGia, much as I want it too.) I'm going to go with low tech, middle magic. I like the idea of enslaved druids being used to help build the Death Star...er, the empires big ship.

Also, to be fair, low tech and middle magic are what the DnD rules are best designed to support, so they make the most sense for a Core World like CeBeGia.

AnIndex of My Work

Sparkletwist

It's llitul and the brain, llitul and the brain, one is a genius and the other's insane
Proud Receiver of a Golden Dorito

Aha!
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2007, 05:02:33 PM »

Poseidon

A few druids (slaves from other regions) having Wood Shape spell would allow them to make things with less technology, and it is only a second level spell so high level druids or magic users are not needed. A ship that big would probably taken decades to build. (I still like a ship about 250 ft long not 1000 ft)

The problem with even that is that once you've finished the ship, parts of it have already been aging for ten years. That's not a problem for stone and such, but wood...

Although you're right, druids would help it out quite a bit... I just had an idea, but it doesn't belong here. To the empire thread!

Badges:

Flail Snail

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2007, 08:09:44 PM »

Stargate525

The problem with even that is that once you've finished the ship, parts of it have already been aging for ten years. That's not a problem for stone and such, but wood...

So you agree it should be far less than 1000 ft long ship. tongue Ironwood makes wood like steel, thus aging isn't as bad as if it were wood.

It looks like most people are looking to low tech level with a few outstanding feats of construction. (pyramids, large ship, etc...). The magic level is looking to be low to mid level.

Does that sound about right?

How much has the Empire advanced since the old Empire? (not very much because of the reconstruction?)
Do we want the Empire to have a slightly lesser, same or greater tech level than the rest of the world?
Same questions with magic.

Ravenspath brought up guns.
Do we want guns/gunpowder? Very rare? One shot and useless? Not at all?

Anything else I missed?

Markas Dalton

Seeker of Knowledge
Owlbear

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2007, 08:20:15 PM »

Poseidon

Ravenspath brought up guns.
Do we want guns/gunpowder? Very rare? One shot and useless? Not at all?

Anything else I missed?

Hey! Don't blame guns on me! laugh  I brought them up as I am sure that someone would. I'm not a big fan of guns per se in fantasy settings. Now if we had magical versions that were very rare I think that would be kind of cool.  Anyone ever read the Guardians of the Flame series where they invented guns powered by magical superheated steam?

Since it seems we are going low magic (which I am fine with) I think the amount of 'tech' that would be created would be low. But there could be some. I once knew a player who had created land minds with 'Heat Metal', water, scraps of metal, and 'Mud to Stone'. The few extraordinary magic creations. This could vary by region and could even be a motivation for the Empire to have spies around in farther Regions then they are currently invading.

Those on the Raven's Path Seek Answer to Discover Questions.
Homebrews in progress

- For being extraordinarily knowledgeable in the realm of sequoias. 

Stream-of-Consiousness Prophet.
Flumph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2007, 08:39:15 PM »

Does that sound about right?

How much has the Empire advanced since the old Empire? (not very much because of the reconstruction?)
Do we want the Empire to have a slightly lesser, same or greater tech level than the rest of the world?
Same questions with magic.

Well, speaking stricly on a personal basis...yes, it sounds really, really right.

I would say that the new Empire has about the same tech, as the old EMpire (and behind Pre-Empire).
I would not place the Empire on a level playing field with the areas around it.  I cannot judge on the rest of the world, but in the Empire and it's environs, the Empire, depite the fall and reconstruction, probably has a higher tech than the areas surrounding.  But not up to Gunpowder.  Better architecture, maybe better hygine (better sewer systems).
Totemic areas probably far better in nature magics/summonning magic, which should even things out a bit.  Again, just an idea.

VerkonenVreeg, The Nice.Celtricia, World of Factions

Steel Island Online gaming thread
The Collegium Arcana Online Game
Old, evil, twisted, damaged, and afflicted.  Orbis non sufficit.Thread Murderer Extraordinaire, and supposedly pragmatic...\"That is my interpretation. That the same rules designed to reduce the role of the GM and to empower the player also destroyed the autonomy to create a consistent setting. And more importantly, these rules reduce the Roleplaying component of what is supposed to be a \'Fantasy Roleplaying game\' to something else\"-Vreeg

Flail Snail

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2007, 09:31:49 PM »

LordVreeg

Well, speaking stricly on a personal basis...yes, it sounds really, really right.

I would say that the new Empire has about the same tech, as the old EMpire (and behind Pre-Empire).
I would not place the Empire on a level playing field with the areas around it.  I cannot judge on the rest of the world, but in the Empire and it's environs, the Empire, depite the fall and reconstruction, probably has a higher tech than the areas surrounding.  But not up to Gunpowder.  Better architecture, maybe better hygine (better sewer systems).
Totemic areas probably far better in nature magics/summonning magic, which should even things out a bit.  Again, just an idea.

That's about what I was thinking. smile

Markas Dalton

Aha!
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2007, 11:55:48 PM »

It's interesting. I think we might want to separate our technology category; what would we call a setting with Renaissance architecture, but no gunpower or steam?

Badges:

The Captain of Crunch
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2007, 05:34:04 AM »

If my opinion matters around these parts, I'd like to see things be low/low as a whole, but have the empire have some mid tech, and have the city states have some mid magic.

As for guns, here's how I've always done them: They're the martial equivalents of crossbows, doing the same damage and having the same loading time (pistol is light crossbow, rifle is heavy crossbow), but having an increased threat range (18-20 vs. 19-20). Don't worry about armor penetration or anything like that, cause armor can still deflect old bullets (and I think curved metal can still deflect modern bullets to some extent).

I agree that tech is going to be developed if magic is rarer. If you go off the DMG town generation, you'll see how few casters there are compared to commoners, so magic is rare in 3.5 by default anyway. Sure, there are magic items, but most people can't afford them anyway.

But, it might be fun to push the limits a little, and have floating castles and public transportation and common priests and magi.

Endless Horizons: Action and adventure set in a grand world ripe for exploration.

Proud recipient of the Silver Tortoise Award for extra Krunchyness.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: