Ads

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Terra  (Read 27009 times)
Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2007, 06:20:13 PM »

This is my homebrew world.  I've been working on it for many years, but have only seriously gotten into writing history and some other aspects fairly recently.  

Since everything is kind of going from entry in my idea notebook to post here, organization will initially be weird, but will get better as time goes on.

Probably the closest thing to a unique feature of my world is that it is designed to accomodate my edition-hopping habits.  I like AD&D 1st and 2nd editions and am conversant with 3rd edition.  I use different ones at different times depending on what I feel like at the moment and who my game group is.  Most of what is published initially is designed for 1e/2e hybrid mode that is my default.

That is the current map.  Here's the key:
 By the way: a million bonus geek points to anyone who can tell me exactly why the number 124 appears at what was the bottom of the page until I tipped it sideways.

If anybody is actually reading/following this mess, please also read these less messy messes:
 Characters with stats and bios are in the Rogue's Gallery Thread here
 Early drafts have been exiled to the Apocryphal Archive here
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 05:32:18 PM by khyron1144 » Logged

What's a Minmei and what are its ballistic capabilities?

According to the Unitarian Jihad I'm Brother Nail Gun of Quiet Reflection
Woot! I got a badge
-Kishar

My campaign is Terra
Anyone who posts in the discussion thread will get a badge.

Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 06:21:41 PM »

Out of Character

OK, I'm going to be honest, Terra is Earth.

A highly fantasized version of Earth.  Where magic works and The Gods and Devils, Daemons, and Demons are very real and visible and tangible presences.  Home to a plethora of sapient humanoid races.  And I've radically reworked the geography (both physical and political) and history to suit my fantasy world needs.

The region that my active playing campaign is set on roughly corresponds to the North American continent.  In fact, the width of the continent as depicted on the hex map roughly corresponds to the width of the North American continent from the Carolinas to California.  Roughly.  

The Terran Empire is my reworking of the Greeks and Romans mashed up together with the Roman culture being dominant but with exceptions here and there.  They call their country, the continent, and the world as a whole, Terra.

The Barbarian lands really are Norsemen, even though they should be Gauls.  I've also decided that they call their patch of land Midgard.

Astronomy/astrophysic works along the lines of Spelljammer.  Halflings are from Venus.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 07:12:11 PM by khyron1144 » Logged

Woot! I got a badge
-Kishar

My campaign is Terra

Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 06:22:51 PM »

Terran Empire
The Terran Empire is divided into twelve major districts, often referred to as Duchies or Principalities, one or two are even still labeled Kingdoms, depending.  Each of these districts has a Senator, who is often also the Duke, Prince, or King of that district.  Scholars speculate that Flint I may have been clever enough to invent the Senate as a way of actually reducing the power of lesser nobles, while soothing their egos, by requiring them to spend up to six months a year away from their own domains to give input on the running of the Empire in the Imperial Capitol, Terra Prima.

A map of the political geography of the Terran Empire's Districts:

1) In the northwest corner is the Granite Hills district.
2) One to the south in the center of the westernmost column is the Emerald Hills district.
3) Next to the south is the last of the western districts is the Turquoise Hills.
4) Going back up to the north at the top of the next column eastward is the Flint Forest.
5) Immediately south of that is the Golden Plains District.
6) South of that is the Sandstone Plains District
7) At the north/top of the next column is the Iron Woods, sometimes called the Ferrous Forest District
8) South of that is the Ruby Fields District
9) South of that is the Silver Desert District
10)  At the top of the next column, in the northeast corner of the map is the Diamond Shores District.
11)  South of that is the Sands of Silica District
12) And South of that in the southeast corner spot is the Leaden Waves District
The Golden Plains and Ruby Fields tend to be the most peaceful and prosperous districts, having at least one full district in any direction as a buffer between themselves and any potentially hostile foreign power.

Freeland is on land that was part of the Flint Forest Duchy.

It looks like Arcanum should be surrounded by the Ruby Fields Principality.

The capitol city of the Terran Empire is Terra Prima.   Terra Prima is close to the geographic center of the Terran Empire along the border of the Golden Plains and Ruby Fields Districts.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 02:31:01 AM by khyron1144 » Logged

Woot! I got a badge
-Kishar

My campaign is Terra

Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 06:23:53 PM »

The Emerald Hills Province

The Family Emerald has long been an important one.  In fact, they were granted Senatorial rank and regional governorship of their hilly homeland at the founding of the Flint Dynasty.  It is said that in the days of the Dragon Empire, before Terra belonged to the humans, the leader of the human resistance forces in the Emerald Hills was a mysterious Lady of Emeralds.

Women of the Emerald family have married into all four Terran Imperial dynasties: Flint, Copper, Iron, and Steel.  The current Empress is an Emerald.

The Emerald Hills are at the western edge of the Terran Empire bordering the mountains of Svartaelfheim, home of Dwarves, Orcs, Svartaelfs, and even darker things.  It is south of the Granite Hills district and north of the Turquoise Hills.  The landscape is dotted with low, rolling hills.  For most of its inhabitants, most of the time, it is an idyllic farming community; it is not entirely without perils, though.  

Orcs and Svartaelfs have been known to raid the westernmost communities taking slaves and other loot.  There are also lingering after-effects of an evil Merlane's presence, Frater Muto built his tower here 300 years ago and conducted experiments; he is probably dead by now and his tower is likely abandoned.   Owlbears and other hybrid monsters are more common here than in other parts of the Empire.  The area also has a mysterious connection with certain of the Lower Outer Plains:  Acheron, Gehenna, Hades, and Tarterus.  Creatures of these Planes, Daemons, Demodands, Night Hags, Acherai, and Utukku; are somewhat more common here than elsewhere on the Prime Material Plane.

While the Senator and District Governor are always male in accordance with Imperial law, it is said that Emerald Family women wield more political power than is typical in the Empire.  The prime example being that the Lionesses were formed at the behest of a Lady Emerald.

The Olympian Gods of the rest of the Empire are still followed here, but the most powerful Cults and Temples in the Emerald Hills are those of the Goddesses, particularly Minerva/Athena, Dianna/Artemis, Demeter, Vesta, and Red Knight.  Meanwhile the Temples and Cults of the masculine Gods like Jupiter/Zeus, Neptune/Poseidon, Pluto/Hades, and Mars/Ares are not as strong here as in the rest of the Empire; in fact, in the regional capital city, Urbem Smaragdus, each of the Goddesses named above has Her own large, richly appointed Temple, while the masculine gods are relegated to the rather shabby Temple Miscellaneous Dii.

Here's an Example Random Encounter Table for the Emerald Hills
Roll 2d10 when a random encounter is called for
Code:
Die Roll  Creature
2            Mountain Giant
3            Alaghi
4           Carnivorous Ape
5           Owlbear
6           Umber Hulk
7           Clubnex
8            Ghoul
9            Black Bear
10          Dwarf
11          Hill Giant
12          Bandit
13          Ogre
14          Stone Giant
15         Goblin
16         Unicorn
17         Hook Horror
18         Flind
19         Utukku
20         Ghuuna
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 08:48:30 PM by khyron1144 » Logged

Woot! I got a badge
-Kishar

My campaign is Terra

Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 06:25:31 PM »

Ten Watering Holes, Inns, Bars, or Taverns of Terra Prima, Capital City of the Terran Empire

1)  The Ace of Swords (The premiere brawling tavern of Terra Prima; located on the Street of Swords near Via Primus; convenient walking distance from the Coliseum and the Legion Barracks)

2) The King of Coins (A high class joint; located on the Street of Coins near Via Tertius; close to the Senate and Palace; patrons are mainly Terran nobles and wealthy merchants)

3) The Queen of Wands (On the Street of Wands near Via Primus; a lot of Wizard customers but it's not exclusive)

4) The King of Cups (On the strett of Cups; not particularly notable for anything)

5) The Page of Swords (On Via Primus; in a no-man's land between Greeny Town, Halfling Town, and Old Dwarf Town; very ethnically diverse clientelle; if there is a Dracon, Arcane, Giff, or Wemic in town getting a drink, this is where)

6) The Magician (On the Street of Wands near Via Terminus; private club; very hoity-toity; exclusively Wizards)

7) Strength (On the Street of Swords; close to the city watch house; clientelle is mostly gladiators, Legionaires, and mercenaries with a few watchmen thrown in for good measure)

8) The Stricken Tower (On the Street of Hammers in Old Dwarf Town; mostly Dwarven clientelle)

9) Saki That May Please the Khan Himself (In Halfling Town; mostly halflings, also curious gaijin gawkers)

10) The Axe-Split Skull (In Greeny Town; largely Goblinoid clientelle)

Ten Places to Exchange Money for Goods and Services in Terra Prima, Capitol City of the Terran Empire, on Terra

1) Trader Robard's Shop Primus (on the Street of Coins near Via Tertius; first of a successful series of franchise stores; general merchandise)

2) The Wiley Alchemist (on the Street of Wands near Via Secundus; drugs, herbs, cheap spell components, and alchemical concoctions)

3) Hammerman's Metalworks (on the Street of Hammers in Old Dwarf Town; run by Gird Hammerman, a Dwarven metalsmith and Deacon in the Temple of Vulcan; good armor and weapons, including rare metals and Masterwork/of Quality armor and weapons)

4) The Scriptorium (on the Street of Coins near Via Tertius, across the street from the King of Coins tavern; owned by Frater Gauge, a Human Geometer graduated from the Great University in Arcanum; offers translations and cryptography work; makes book on gladiatorial fights; offers "reasonable" interest loans; messenger service; also offers reading and writing services to the illiterate masses; employs a lot of Half-Ogre collections agents [fighters specialized in warhammer fond of called shots to the kneecap])

5) Blades of the Master (In Halfling Town; master weapon maker; the place to pick up a katana or wakizashi in Terra Prima)

6) Gem and Jewelry Appraisal With the Accuracy of Thoth (on the Street of Coins near Via Primus; run by a High Elf* named Aglaramarth; appraises and sells gems and jewelry)

7) The Open Market (an open air Bazaar with one border along the Street of Coins; a 1 SP license fee to the city per week is necessary to set up shop; almost anything is theoretically available there; expect to haggle)

8) The Live Market (a special area of the Open Market that sells live animals for mounts, pets, or eventual butchery; sometimes interesting things like bears, tigers, war elephants, and Owl Bears turn up; also sells humanoid slaves**)

9) Gizmos (on the Street of Wands near Via Primus, across the Street from the Queen of Wands; run by a Gnome nicknamed Gizmo; sells clockwork and steam-powered things; the sign is spelled like that:          it is unclear whether it is intended to reference the owner or the merchandise)

10) Trader Robard's Shop Secundus (on the Street of Cups near Via Terminus; second of a successful series of franchise stores; general merchandise)

* Many of the classic Elf subspecies are present on Terra.    On Terra, I switched around the labels High and Grey Elf:   High Elves are Haughty and Smart;     Grey Elves are nimble and get on well with Humans)

** Slavery exists within the Terran Empire.   It is a common fate for prisoners of war, criminals convicted of certain offenses, and a form of debtor's prison.          There are laws and social mores regarding the treatment of slaves.   It is mainly the Chaotic Neutral Gods and their faithful that urge outright abolition of slavery.   None of that makes it right, of course.

The King of Coins

DM's Boxed Text

On the Street of Coins, in between the Wily Alchemist's Shoppe and Trader Robard's Domicile of Weaponry, is a tavern called the King of Coins.  This would be the North Side of the street on the block between Primus and Secundus.  Outside the door hangs a tavern sign with both a name and a depiction of the tarot card the tavern is named after.  Having coins in your pocket and no recent adventure hooks, you step inside.

The front room is the common room.  There's a bar along the north wall and tables in the middle of the room.  A couple of half-ogres are standing around, glaring at the room in general and any new arrivals, like you, in particular.   You figure them to be splatters (bouncers that create a bigger mess).  They both have tattoos of swords crossing coins on their shoulders.

At one of the tables is a group of men, playing cards.  Guessing by the heaps of coinage and shouts of call and raise and whatnot, you figure it must be tarot poker.

Besides the splatters, the only obvious employees of the tavern are the barman behind the bar and the not-very-good-looking-and-obviously-world-weary-serving-matron (at her age, you hope she's not a maid), who is currently delivering a tray of ales to one of the tables.

Although there are a few obvious adventuring types and a few humble (IE. poor) tradesmen, the clientele is rather upscale, mostly fat merchants and, you suspect, a few Senators.

Near the bar, is a door marked Private.  On the west wall there's another door.  

There's enough tables that you can find a seat easily.  There's no posted menu, but you can guess the type of fare likely to be offered.

Physical description:  The King of Coins appears to be a one-story building with approximate dimensions of fifteen feet tall by fifty feet wide (east to west dimension) by fifty feet long (north to south dimension).  The common room, which is the one that guest coming in from the street will enter, is about thirty feet long by forty feet wide.  The door marked Private leads to a very boring storage room where beer kegs are kept and so on.  This room is about twenty feet long by forty feet wide.  There's a door on its west wall, leading to a tiny, little ten foot by ten foot kitchen.  The unmarked door leads to a nicely furnished office, ten feet wide by thirty feet long.

That's the stuff that's obvious to the naked eye.   Anyone that carefully paces it out will notice the about ten by ten area of "missing" space.   Of course, PCs should be kept too busy to carefully pace it out.  The office has a secret door in the north wall that leads to the "missing room".  (Search DC 25 to find the secret door where relevant).  This room is used by Smashfiste as a secure treasure room for anything he's about to liquidate.  If the solid oak desk is moved (this should take a minimum D&D Strength score of 16 to accomplish), a trapdoor in the floor can be found, which leads to Smashfiste's complex of tunnels that provide alternate entrances and exits and include a few secret rooms where valuables too hot to be easily fenced are kept to age.

Background: Five years ago a new tavern sprung up on the Street of Coins, taking its cue from The Ace of Swords (Street of Swords), Queen of Wands (Street of Wands) and Page of Cups (Street of Cups), this place was named The King of Coins.  Since the Street of Coins was a vastly different sort of neighborhood, the clientele it cultivated was different.   Richer for one thing.

It's a silent partnership between Morton Ostler and "Lucky" "Four-Fingers" Smashfiste.  Ostler is a friendly face and competent tavern manager.   Smashfiste is a battle-scarred half-ogre leg-breaker with a lot of money and a desire to earn more without doing so much hard work. Smashfiste decided to finance a tavern as the front for the new gang he was heading. Ostler was simply lucky enough to find someone willing to finance "his" tavern.                       

Morton Ostler is the owner of record for the King of Coins, but it was built to Smashfiste's specifications and with his money.  The builders were dwarfs fresh in from the mountains; their corpses buried under the tunnel's floor tiles is nasty secret #305 about The King of Coins. Smashfiste's Coin Street Irregulars meet in the hidden rooms to plot.

Smashfiste invented the Mailed Fist to the Head accidentally. He doesn't go in for mixed drinks much, but one night he was out of beer and found an interesting result when he mixed certain things together in the right doses. Only Ostler can make them reliably.

Knowledge Local DCs
5 There's a tavern on the Street of Coins called The King of Coins.
10 The King of Coins is not as good for brawling as The Ace of Swords.
10 The house specialty drink is Mailed Fist to the Head.
15 The King of Coins is a good place to meet with the city's elite and make organized crime connections.
15 Identify a Senator among patrons in The King of Coins (if one is there in the first place, DM's discretion).
20 Identify the swords crossing coins tattoos as signs of affiliation with Coin Street Irregulars Gang.
20 Knowledge that there is a Coin Street Irregulars Gang.
25 They say a half-ogre named Smashfiste really runs the place and that Morton Ostler is just a front.

Knowledge Nobility and Royalty
5 The King of Coins is a popular hangout for rich merchants, Senators, and organized crime leaders.
10 Identify a Senator among patrons in The King of Coins (if one is there in the first place, DM's discretion).

Adventure hooks:  1) The daughter of a Senator has gone missing.  She was last seen in the King of Coins tavern.  One of the patrons knows she left with Questionable Milton, a minor local gang leader.  He even has a guess as to which way the Questionable Milton Gang ran.  He must be plied with drink first, though.

2) While walking down the Street of Swords, the PCs are approached by a young tough who complains about Smashfiste muscling in on everybody else's operation and how he'd pay anyone who did something about it and so on and so forth.

NPCs:
"Lucky" "Four-Fingers" Smashfiste is a battle-scarred half-ogre.  He's missing one finger on his right hand and his sword has a custom grip to take that into account.  He wears stylish clothes in bright colors, but always has his sword on one hip too.  Like most half-ogres he's as ugly as sin.  Unlike most half-ogres he's pretty sharp.  He got his start as a leg-breaker for someone else's racket and he is not averse to violence.  He is however quite willing to let threats, explicit or implied, do the work of actual violence whenever possible.

Morton Ostler is a plump, slightly red-faced human. He's slightly bald.  Although he makes money, he doesn't dress very flash.  He could let others work the tavern entirely for him and just count the money, but he chooses to tend bar on most Frej Day and Saturn Day nights.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 08:42:33 PM by khyron1144 » Logged

Woot! I got a badge
-Kishar

My campaign is Terra

Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 01:11:40 AM »

Arcanum
Arcanum is the wizardly country.  It's bounded on all sides by The Terran Empire because it actually used to be part of the Empire.  An Emperor of The Copper Dynasty granted Arcanum its independence, with implications of a strong alliance between the two.

Arcanum is home to a number of lich crypts, mad wizards's towers, and similar likely adventure sites.    Of special note is the Temporal Palace or Spatial Palace, which may be two different places sharing the same space at different times.  It disappears and reappears at regular intervals.

The political and geographic center of Arcanum is The Great University.  The head of the University is head of state for Arcanum as a whole. (Under AD&D 2nd edition rules, every Wizard specialty class and kit has some sort of presence at the university, however minimal [even Rhabdomancers and Wu Jen from Dragon #229]).  The current Arch-chancellor of the University is Frater Gauge, a Geometer of great renown.  Never borrow money from him; he has a shelf full of souls forfeited; a half-dozen flesh Golems made from extracted pounds of flesh; and a small army of Half-Ogres armed with big hammers and a keen interest in knee-caps.

Arcanum exports wizards, sages, magical knowledge, information, philosophies, magical items, new technology,  monsters (especially fusion-based aberrations along the lines of owl-bears), and gold plundered from lich crypts.   The Wizards import men of arms, raw materials (especially substances used for spell components, like amber), and individuals foolish enough to venture into lich crypts (a.k.a adventurers).

Religion is not much stressed in Arcanum.  Most wizards are either as agnostic as one can get in a world where clerical magic works, demons and celestials walk the land, and Ragnarok is impending; or else worship Hecate, Abraxas, Odin (imported from Barbarian lands), Thoth (an Elvish import), and/or Corellon Larethian (another Elvish import) regardless of alignment.

Being a crossroads of many cultures taking in the best and brightest intellects of all lands, Arcanum has almost always had somewhat looser social mores regarding sexuality than the Terran Empire.  Gay, lesbian, bisexual, or trans individuals are judged but their intellectual prowess and the might of the magics at their command, the same as anyone else.

The Great University
The most important thing to remember about The Great University is that it is not just a school in a world with few other schools.  It's not just a repository of learning and the written word in a world that has known more than a few dark ages.  It's not even just a small city that happens to be populated by students, teachers, administrators, and the necessary support staff to make it all work.  It's the Capitol of a major world power and the means of selecting a country's leadership.

The campus itself is impressive, with architecture in a number of styles from the reliable ones of a thousand years ago to the flashy ones of recent years.  Besides the necessary classrooms, dorms, dining halls, laboratories, libraries, and administrative buildings that one expects, there are also impressive galleries where collections of art, both magical and mundane, are kept and a small arboretum.

The University Archchancelor is also the ruler of Arcanum.  The Archchancellorship is a lifetime appointment.  The Archchancellor is elected by the senior faculty members.

The University is organized into Departments.  Some departments include:  Department of Vocalic and Performance Magics (Bards, Song Wizards, certain Enchanters, Spellsingers, Jesters), Object-Oriented Magics Department (Alchemists, Apothecaries, Artificers, certain Enchanters),  Mathemagics Department (Geometers, Wild Mages, Numerologists), Informational Magics Department(Diviners, Bards, Gypsies, Arcanists), Exotics Department(Wu Jen, Sha'irs, Amazon Wizards, Spellsingers), and Department of Questionable activities (Necromancers, Arcanists, Shadow Mages, Wild Mages, certain Conjurers, Merlanes, Witches, Liches)  

Lesser Universities
Grand Visionary Scholars' University
University of Magic
Conjurers' and Mages' University
Magical Scholars' University
Wizardly Magic University

None of these are quite as good as the The Great University, but they all have their specialties and the tuition is often less.

The Law of Existence
This is an old custom of Arcanum.  Basically it states you can't kill a Necromancer for being a Necromancer, a Lich for being a Lich, a Vampire for being a Vampire, a Witch for being a Witch, a gay man for being gay, or similar.  A citizen is allowed to kill in self defense or kill those formally declared Renegade by the Archchancellor.  A citizen of Arcanum is defined as anyone holding at least one degree from an accredited magical university.  Non-citizens have no rights, but it is frowned on killing good support staff, especially if not immediately followed by animating the corpse as a zombie.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 11:23:42 PM by khyron1144 » Logged

Woot! I got a badge
-Kishar

My campaign is Terra

Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 11:30:02 PM »

Freeland
Freeland is Terra's newest country.  It was created as a result of a peasant revolt that somehow had a favorable outcome for the peasants.  It is a former Terran Empire parcel of land that has succeeded in seceding.

In theory, freeland is less repressive than the Terran Empire.  It is supposed to be a land where every man is a free man and there are no serfs.  Old racial prejudices are thought to be dissolved.

The truth is that Freeland has not yet built a government on a scale bigger than the individual town, village, or Thorpe.  This means that the level of freedom in Freeland varies depending on where one is.  Some villages are despotic, while others border on anarchy, and some tread a middle ground.

A few example towns of Freeland:

Plunder:  Since Freeland has no real border security or immigration policy, bandits, brigands, pirates, rogues, cut-throats, and assassins from all over have flocked to it as an easy place to hide out.  Enough of them to form a whole town of their own.

Draconia:  Draconia is ruled by the iron fist of Vladimir the Devil-Dragon (oddly enough, a purebred human).  Every able-bodied male is conscripted into the Glorious Army of Draconia.  Vladimir dreams of conquering enough other towns to make a real kingdom of Draconia.  It is not a pleasant place to live.  Vladimir executes people on a whim, often in a grisly fashion.

Middleville:  Any person residing in Middleville for at least a year and over twelve years of age has a vote.  Laws are created by a simple majority vote and require a three-quarters majority vote to suspend or overturn.  Sometimes it is necessary to elect someone as "First Among Equals" to act as both a face to other countries and a decision maker.  The most recent one is Fred The Brewer.

Flint:  The Axes of Flint founded this village as a monarchy ruled by an obscure member of the Flint family.  The hope is that this will serve as a sort of nucleus to a new power to challenge the Terran Empire.  So far, this looks like a very distant dream.  Boarslayer Flint XII, the current king of the town of Flint, is a competent administrator and decent strategist, but this village can only muster twenty able-bodied and barely-trained men for an army.

Free Town The borders of this town are hazy because no one felt like posting them.  There is no ruler.  Nobody knows exactly how many people live here because no one took a census yet.  Somehow, the absolutely necessary work does get done and no one starves, even though nobody has any authority to make anybody else do their fair share.  There is no village militia.  There are no local laws.  People seem remarkably happy for the moment, but a big worry is what could happen if Flint or Draconia decide to attack.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 09:52:10 PM by khyron1144 » Logged

Woot! I got a badge
-Kishar

My campaign is Terra

Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 01:26:13 AM »

Midgard
The barbarians dwell to the north of the Terran Empire and to the south of Jotunheim.  They are divided into tribes, which are usually named after an animal.  Some tribes include: the Bear Tribe, which is the one that Terran Empire General Sigismund Odinson is from; the Wolf Tribe, rivals of the Bear Tribe; the Tribe of the Ram, sheepherders who wield claymores (the swords, not the mines); The Boar Tribe, where most of the half-orcs and half-ogres wandering the civilized lands originally hail from; and more that I haven't come up with yet.

Since each tribe is like a little country, it's hard to make sweeping generalizations, but here are some things likely held in common among a large number of tribes.

Most barbarians revere the Norse pantheon.  They place a major emphasis on living a warrior life.  The greatest fear of a barbarian is not death itself but death of old age rather than on the field of valor.  Right now, mercenary barbarians are a noticeable fraction of the Terran Empire's military might and this worries some Empire citizens.  

Most tribes do not develop a written language, but they do have a rich history passed down in sagas recited by skalds.  Every warrior dreams of having his conquests and death remembered as on of his tribe's sagas.

Most tribes are almost perpetually at war with the Jotuns to the north, the surrounding tribes and the Terran Empire.  It has long been a subject of much speculation that if the barbarians got their act together, they could be a major menace to either the Empire or the Jotuns or both.

Social equality of the sexes is actually much more advanced in barbarian lands than in the Empire, as a general rule.  Females can become warriors, own property, and lead tribes.  Even when leadership of a tribe is by a male, hereditary leaderships are traced matrilineally.  Everyone who is witness to the birth knows who somebody's mother was.  Fatherhood is often a little more ambiguous, especially among the barbarians.

While barbarians do marry, their customs are rather unusual by Empire standards.  Multiple simultaneous marriages are not uncommon, but they aren't of the a male may take as many wives as he can support variety that are known among the Empire nobles, rather, they could be expressed as: a person is married to another person as long as both of them say so and they can both marry as many other people as they wish.  To put it another way: polygamy is normal to the barbarians, but it's different from the sexist version that has existed historically on our Earth.  Besides the weird marriage customs, fornication and adultery are not uncommon and rarely considered that big a deal to most barbarians.  Homosexuality and bisexuality are rarely much frowned upon.

[It's worth noting that in terms of game mechanics not everyone from a tribe in the barbarian lands is of the barbarian character class and not everyone who belongs to the barbarian character class is from barbarian lands.  The percentage of barbarians in a barbarian tribe are noticeably higher, but only wizards are a rarity in barbarian lands.]

Some Tribes of the Barbarian Lands

Tribe of the Wolf:      Worships the Aesir and Vanir.      Fairly far south and thus close to the Terran Empire.      Traditional rivals of the Bear Tribe.      Lives and works with a strain of canine that is not quite what a Terran would recognize as a domestic dog, yet isn't the same as a wild wolf either.      The ruling family claim descent from Thor.

Tribe of the Bear:      Worships Aesir and Vanir.      Fairly far south and thus close to the Terran Empire.      Traditional rivals of the Wolf Tribe.      Trains and raises and is in the process of domesticating a species of black bear.      It has not worked totally yet.      Wolves are naturally social animals with pack hierarchies, bears are not.      This tribe's ruling family claims descent from Odin.  The current General of the Legions of the Terran Empire, Sigismund Odinson, hails from this tribe.

Tribe of the Boar:      Actually worships the Shadow Pantheon.      A mixture of degenerate humans, orcs, ogres, half-orcs, half-ogres, orogs, and ogrillon.      Both hunts and domesticates/raises a rather nasty large porcine species along the lines of the monster known as the dire boar.

Tribe of the Ram  Worships the Aesir.  Dwells in the northern hills, close to Jotunheim.  Their accent is different from other barbarians.  They prefer great swords that they call claymores over the axes that other barbarians often wield.  They herd sheep and goats and have actually managed to breed a species of dire sheep that can be used as mounts.

Tribe of the Hairy Elephant  Technically worship the Aesir, but mostly are tended to by Druids and Shamans that worship the generality of Nature or local Spirits.  Dwells in the frozen tundra of the north in lands that the Frost Giants probably claim as part of Jotunheim.  Hunts the wooly mammoth of these frozen north lands.  Once in a while, a great warrior or Druid of the Tribe will capture a mammoth mount.

Tribe of the Shark and Tribe of the Dolphin Located on the I islands off to the east of the main Terran continent.  Occasionally visit coastal cities either to raid or to hire on as mercenaries or harpooners on commercial whalers.  Many of them have tattoos or ritual scars.

Tribe of the Mare
A matriarchal tribe of skilled horse-riding warrior women.  Located in the I territories to the west of the Dwarven mountains.  Many of them have one of the Amazon kits from the Complete Handbook series.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 11:13:56 PM by khyron1144 » Logged

Woot! I got a badge
-Kishar

My campaign is Terra

Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 09:20:09 AM »

Dwarven Mountains is what the Terran Empire calls them.  The barbarians call it Svartaelfheim and fear it.  The dwarves, just call it home.

It is a land perpetually torn by war.  Dwarves dwell here under the ground as do orcs, illithid, svartaelfs (drow), gnomes, and who knows what else.  Naturally, this is quite a volatile situation.

The communities that are thought of as Dwarfish are actually mixed groups, mostly of Mountain Dwarves, some Svirfneblin Gnomes, some Deep Dwarves, and a few non-Evil Chitine and free Quaggoths, sometimes a few Stout Halflings.

From birth dwarves are taught defense of the homeland by force of arms; reverence for the Gods; the arts of underground survival; and respect for the forge.  In this underground world there is no room for anyone to sit out the fight or not do an honest share of the ore-hauling and weapon-forging.  Thus, the Gods have blessed dwarven women with the same muscularity and build as the dwarven men.  If the enemy can not tell the females at a glance, the females are safer, so the the Gods have blessed dwarven females with the same beards as the men.

To outsiders most dwarfish couples look gay because both partners look like what humans would call men (At least with their clothes and chainmail and whatnot still on).  The truth, not surprisingly, is that at least a few are.

The dwarves revere the same Gods as the barbarian humans of Midgard (Norse pantheon) with the addition of Moradin and few other specifically Dwarven Gods.  Those who have dwelt too long in the Human Empire favor Hephaestus instead, seeing the humans's Forge-God as worthy as the Soul-Forger.

Dwarves import surface-grown grain and surface-raised livestock and export ore and gems as well as weapons known for quality.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 07:31:58 PM by khyron1144 » Logged

Woot! I got a badge
-Kishar

My campaign is Terra

Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 09:41:27 AM »

The Halfling Khanate
Halflings have a repressive feudal system not entirely unlike that of the Terran Empire.  At the top is the Khan.  He is head of state, chief executive, and the entire legislative body in one Halfling person and commander in chief of the military.  Below that is a warrior nobility called the samurai.  Next down are the townsmen, a middle class of merchants and craftsmen.  At the bottom are the serfs who raise crops.  Serfs technically have no rights when dealing with the samurai or Khan, including the  right to expect to be still living when the conversation ends.

The religion of the Halflings is animistic in nature.  They believe that everything is alive and has a spirit within it.  Spirits get fed by respect and worship and sacrifices.  There are also Gods who are spirits that are worshiped by so many people that they are no longer associated with a specific place but are kind of everywhere a particular activity is performed or a particular thing is found.

The halflings also have some of the scariest criminals in known Terra.  The Yakuza are said to be everywhere.  They supposedly know everything and can go anywhere.

While it is called the Halfling Khanate, there are relatively large populations of humans and korobokuru under their dominion.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 05:57:18 PM by khyron1144 » Logged

Woot! I got a badge
-Kishar

My campaign is Terra

Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 09:50:45 AM »

Goblinoid Lands
The Goblinoid Lands are just that: lands in the posession of the savage and ugly humanoid races.  During the day Hobgoblins, Norkers, and Ogres are the ones most commonly seen above-ground.  At night the Goblins and Orcs come out too.

Goblinoids export nothing but violence and import whatever treasure and slaves they can steal.

The only land where the Shadow Pantheon is worshipped openly.

From the writings of Frater Stannum of the Great Univeristy of Arcanum:
It is not widely known that the only genetically stable true-breeding race among the goblinoids is the Hobgoblin.  One hypotheses is that this owes something to the Hobgoblins consistently Lawful (albeit Evil) nature and worship of the Arch-Devils, whereas the other Goblinoids are inconsistent on their allegiance to Law and Chaos and worship a hodge-podge of Arch-Devils, Demon Princes, Daemon Lords, and even Ygorl.  Cross-breeding with humans also provides some stability, almost always producing off-spring that are thought of as the Half-Orc and Half-Ogre races.

There is a rather tragic story of a mated pair of Norkers who kept producing weaker Goblin-like offspring and leaving them in a Worg-infested forest.

OOC Note: Goblinoids present in my game world include but are not limited to: Goblin, Hobgoblin, Norker, Orc, Scro, Xvart, Grimlock, Ogre, Orog, Ogrillon, Half-Orc, Half-Ogre, Boggle(Monster Manual II), and Fachan (Dragon #89).

Note: when I choose to run 3rd edition rather than AD&D (1st or 2nd) and types become more important: Orcs gain the Goblinoid subtype.  Bug Bears lose the Goblinoid sub-type, but gain a different sub-type, Ursine, which Owl Bears, Bears, and Werebears also have.  Boggles gain the Goblinoid subtype.  Ogres gain the Goblinoid sub-type and are also Jotuns.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 09:53:51 PM by khyron1144 » Logged

Woot! I got a badge
-Kishar

My campaign is Terra

Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 01:22:26 PM »

Beast Lands
The Beast Lands are often thought of as a unit, even though they are really a group of small separate countries.  The main reason that causes others to lump them all together is that the inhabitants resemble humanoid versions of certain animals.  Beastlands races PCs know of at the start of the campaign are: Aarakocra, Alaghi, Bug Bears, Gnolls, Flinds, Kobolds (in my world, their rat-like traits are played up), Lizard Men, and Saurials.  With the exception of Gnolls and Flinds most of them are even open as PC races.

The Beast Lands continue further to the south than any currently know of and the following races may later be revealed: Rakasta, Lupin, Tortles, Minotaurs (stats will be as per the race from Dragon Lance, not the standard cursed humanoids from the Monstrous Manual), Cay Men, Gator Men, Pterra Men, Dracons, Giff, and Phanatons.

Religion varies widely.  Gnolls and Flinds are monotheistic Yenoghu fanatics.  Kobolds favor Kurtulmak and other Shadow Pantheon deities.  Alaghi and Aarakocra are primarily animists, tended to by Shamans.

Note: Anybody who sees the word Beast Lands and thinks of a Nuetral Good with Chaotic tendencies outer plane inhabited by Gaurdinals:  in my world that plane is still called The Happy Hunting Grounds, likewise the Nine Hells are the Nine Hells and not the Nine Hells of Baator.  Baatezu, Yugoloths, and Tanar'i are terms with no meaning in this world, especially yugoloths.  Evil outer-planar beings include: Demons, Devils, Daemons, Diakka, Demodands, and Hordelings.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 06:02:35 PM by khyron1144 » Logged

Woot! I got a badge
-Kishar

My campaign is Terra

Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 04:56:01 PM »

Here's the start of my world's history.

The Very Beginning of Terra

Everyone agrees that everything started with The One.  Everyone also agrees that The One grew lonely.

The Halflings believe that The One went mad in His loneliness and we (including the plants and animals and rocks and waters and Gods and planar beings) are the fragments of his splintered mind trying to rejoin.

Almost everyone else believe The One Created The First Multitude (the Gods and Most Powerful Planar Beings).  The First Multitude having more than one mind created Identities for themselves.  Some favored Creation (Good) and others favored Destruction (Evil).  Some favored hierarchies and codes of conduct and other forms of Order (Law) and others favored freedom regardless of the consequences (Chaos).

Naturally, these differing views led to conflict.  The First Multitude took their dispute to The One for Him to settle.

The One favored the forces of Order and Creation and created a hierarchy with himself at the top, the lesser Creators and proponents of Order under Him and the forces of Freedom and Destruction further down and finally the Second Multitude (Demons, Slaad, Modrons, and other lesser Planar Beings) below them.

After the Free Ones and Destroyers had to swallow this indignity, The One announced further plans.  He intended to create a Third Multitude of sentient beings who would in some ways being higher up than any except Himself.  They would not have the raw power that one of the Second Multitude may command (although there are definitely plans to allow the greatest among them to climb those heights), but their belief and devotion would nourish The First Multitude and they would be free to do so however they wished causing some among The First to be greater and some to diminish.

For Lucifer the Light bringer, star of the Morning, this was the final straw.  He organized a revolt to Destroy the One.  Although, he saw himself as a force for Freedom most of his allies came from the Destroyers, such beings as Satan, Orcus, and Asmodeus.

They fought their war and lost.  The Hell Planes (the Abyss, The Nine Hells, The Glooms of Hades, Gehenna, Acheron, etc.) were created to contain them and their allies among the second Multitude (Demons, Devils, Daemons, Hordeling, Diakka, etc.)

After this war the Third Multitude (the mortal races of the Prime material Plane) was created anyway.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 06:05:48 PM by khyron1144 » Logged

Woot! I got a badge
-Kishar

My campaign is Terra

Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 05:48:05 PM »

More Ancient History
There was a time when all of Terra belonged to Dragons, Jotuns, Goblinoids, Beastmen, Dwarves, and Gnomes.  The Chromatic Dragons organized the Goblinoids and Evil Beastmen and Jotuns into the Dragon Empires that ruled Terra.  Scholars and historians claim this was over a hundred-thousand years ago, but this figure is much debated.  Then, Men and Elves came to Terra in sailing ships across the Great Eastern Sea.

The Elves claim that they arrived first and significantly disrupted the Dragon Empires.  Humans dispute this.

There were among the Humans arriving in Terra, two major peoples.  One came from the Northern Homelands and settled Northern Terra; these people worshiped the Aesir and Vanir and came to ally with the Dwarves and quarrel with the Jotuns.  The other people came from the Southern Homelands and settled Central Terra; these Men worshiped the Olympian Gods and befriended the Elves and destroyed the last remnants of the Dragon Empires.

The Goblinoids and Evil Beastmen scattered without the leadership of their Dragon Emperors.  Flint I of the Humans received the Artifacts of Rulership and married the Lady of Emeralds.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 03:25:32 PM by khyron1144 » Logged

Woot! I got a badge
-Kishar

My campaign is Terra

Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 11:41:39 AM »

The War of Elves and Men

After the fall of the Dragon Empire, the Men of the South and the Elves did quarrel over the borders to their kingdoms.  As always, scholarly debate rages on the exact dating of this event but many say it was still close to a hundred-thousand years before the present time.  Most scholars agree that it is Flint II son of Flint I, who was Emperor of the Men of Civilized Terra, at this time.

The Dowager Lady Emerald, Widow of Flint I is credited with reaching the diplomatic solution that set the borders of Aelfheim and Terra to this very day.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 01:22:08 PM by khyron1144 » Logged

Woot! I got a badge
-Kishar

My campaign is Terra

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: