Ads

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: I own a Nintendo Switch (AMA)  (Read 466 times)
Straight Outta Johto
Giff

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2017, 06:13:10 PM »

So like the little nintendrone I am, I was able to get my hands on a Nintendo Switch, but due to some complications, I wasn't able to receive it until about a week ago. I own BotW, and Bomberman. Feel free to shoot questions at me about anything. The hardware, Breath of the Wild, my sanity. Go ahead! (I haven't played Bomberman yet). Anything about BotW will be put in spoiler blocks for those who hate spoilers.

In Character

Hoers
Something in that PoE thread made me realize how much of a deficit there is when it comes to open-world RPGs with deep storylines and interesting combat. If only someone took The Witcher 3, added Dark Souls' polished combat, and threw in the anonymity of Skyrim's protagonist...

I don't think this is spoilery, so I'll just say, that Breath of the WIld almost captures what you're looking for. Other than the early stages, It's completely open ended, and the story is definitely darker, and has more bite than a typical Zelda (although nothing is going to compare to Majoras Mask's story and atmosphere). You don't have any companions though, and the combat is definitely Zelda, but it's definitely a good Open-World RPG though. I often describe it as "Babies First Skyrim" except harder and better than that sounds.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 06:24:51 PM by LoA » Logged

Kingmaker
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 06:49:38 PM »

Q: How the heck did you get one? I've been pining for one since launch.

Straight Outta Johto
Giff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 06:57:16 PM »

Elven Doritos

Q: How the heck did you get one? I've been pining for one since launch.

I got really lucky. Around a couple of weeks before launch, My mom and I found an obscure unestablished media outlet that carried a few of them near my hometown. Every day, I would call in asking about when they were going to do preorders. They weren't doing any preorders we found out eventually, and my mom went on launch day, and we were able to get one when they arrived in the truck. We had to mail it down, which is why it took so long to get here, but I have one. In retrospect, it's a good thing this took a while, cause if I had BotW I would have flunked my classes by now.

Digital wizard
Yrthak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 07:12:56 PM »

LoA

So like the little nintendrone I am, I was able to get my hands on a Nintendo Switch, but due to some complications, I wasn't able to receive it until about a week ago. I own BotW, and Bomberman. Feel free to shoot questions at me about anything. The hardware, Breath of the Wild, my sanity. Go ahead! (I haven't played Bomberman yet). Anything about BotW will be put in spoiler blocks for those who hate spoilers.

In Character

Hoers
Something in that PoE thread made me realize how much of a deficit there is when it comes to open-world RPGs with deep storylines and interesting combat. If only someone took The Witcher 3, added Dark Souls' polished combat, and threw in the anonymity of Skyrim's protagonist...

I don't think this is spoilery, so I'll just say, that Breath of the WIld almost captures what you're looking for. Other than the early stages, It's completely open ended, and the story is definitely darker, and has more bite than a typical Zelda (although nothing is going to compare to Majoras Mask's story and atmosphere). You don't have any companions though, and the combat is definitely Zelda, but it's definitely a good Open-World RPG though. I often describe it as "Babies First Skyrim" except harder and better than that sounds.

It certainly looks that way! Unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to be buying a Switch just to play BotW.

Straight Outta Johto
Giff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 08:04:14 PM »

Hoers

It certainly looks that way! Unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to be buying a Switch just to play BotW.

This is a very fair point, and we had this discussion on this thread before, but within the first year, I see plenty of games that makes owning a switch early worth it. I'm a fan of Splatoon, and I love 3d Mario Platformers, so Splatoon2 and Mario Odyssey are more than enough to convince me to buy it early. I think ARMS will be good but will see, and I certainly like a lot of the indies that are coming up.

The Captain of Crunch
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 07:38:04 PM »

I won't gloat; I've had mine since launch day.

Endless Horizons: Action and adventure set in a grand world ripe for exploration.

Proud recipient of the Silver Tortoise Award for extra Krunchyness.

[insert witty statement here]
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 02:58:36 PM »

To the switch owners, how bad is the weapon degredation in BOW? Everything I've heard has it somewhere between "You're basically hitting the enemies with spun glass" and "It's like Dark Souls, you'll almost never notice it." Really worried about how bad it'll be before I can get my hands on it.

AnIndex of My Work

Sparkletwist

It's llitul and the brain, llitul and the brain, one is a genius and the other's insane
Proud Receiver of a Golden Dorito

So Warm and Cuddly
Giff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 04:41:44 PM »

They break far more often than I'd like, but it hasn't detracted from the game too much for me. It is a bit annoying to find something new and realize I won't have it for very long if I use it.

Straight Outta Johto
Giff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 05:12:55 PM »

Xathan

To the switch owners, how bad is the weapon degredation in BOW? Everything I've heard has it somewhere between "You're basically hitting the enemies with spun glass" and "It's like Dark Souls, you'll almost never notice it." Really worried about how bad it'll be before I can get my hands on it.

Weave

They break far more often than I'd like, but it hasn't detracted from the game too much for me. It is a bit annoying to find something new and realize I won't have it for very long if I use it.

I have a couple of small issues with the weapon system. I get why they did this, and I like it for the most part. Having your weapons degrade easily makes it so that you have to utilize every aspect of the game in order to over come it. My problem with this lies in the fact that you can't buy weapons, or if you're willing to pay exorbitant fees, you can store a small handful of weaponry in you're relatively expensive home. Also I would have liked a multitude of options for Home bases. You can buy one place in the entire game, and that's it.

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 11:24:08 PM »

Yeah, the more I hear about the weapon system, the more it sounds like everything that's custom tailored to frustrate the hell out of me. Thanks for the insight - I'll hold off on the switch until some other games that appeal come out.

AnIndex of My Work

Sparkletwist

It's llitul and the brain, llitul and the brain, one is a genius and the other's insane

Straight Outta Johto
Giff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 12:34:41 AM »

Xathan

Yeah, the more I hear about the weapon system, the more it sounds like everything that's custom tailored to frustrate the hell out of me. Thanks for the insight - I'll hold off on the switch until some other games that appeal come out.

Sad to hear that, but I don't blame you. I know Nintendo will never do this, but they should totally have had Mod Support for this game. Can you even imagine a Zelda game with the same kind of Mod community like Skyrim or Fallout? This game would live forever.

Administrator
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 12:27:09 PM »

LoA

Can you even imagine a Zelda game with the same kind of Mod community like Skyrim or Fallout? This game would live forever.
Can you even imagine a Zelda game with the same kind of bugs like Skyrim or Fallout?  grin

But anyway, it's probably not going to happen. I mean, differing mentality aside, Nintendo makes console games. The console versions of Bethesda games don't allow mods either.

Digital wizard
Yrthak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 12:53:17 PM »

sparkletwist

LoA

Can you even imagine a Zelda game with the same kind of Mod community like Skyrim or Fallout? This game would live forever.
Can you even imagine a Zelda game with the same kind of bugs like Skyrim or Fallout?  grin

But anyway, it's probably not going to happen. I mean, differing mentality aside, Nintendo makes console games. The console versions of Bethesda games don't allow mods either.

Yeah, but there would inevitably be a mod or three that was a huge overhaul that'd get a lot of hype and add a whole new dimension. People would probably do modern remakes of the older games as mods, and who knows what else might come from movies or books. There are definitely a couple of very well-done Skyrim mods (e.g. Enderal, and maybe Skywind if that's still a thing) that fit this mold.

Straight Outta Johto
Giff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 12:59:30 PM »

Hoers

sparkletwist

LoA

Can you even imagine a Zelda game with the same kind of bugs like Skyrim or Fallout?  grin

Yeah, but there would inevitably be a mod or three that was a huge overhaul that'd get a lot of hype and add a whole new dimension. People would probably do modern remakes of the older games as mods, and who knows what else might come from movies or books.

Too true. The first thing I thought was "there would be ten trillion OoT dungeon remakes". Still it would be nice to have a mod that gave us Racial and gender options. I'm not into identity politics, but I do sympathize with people who wanted to see a non-CDi Zelda game where you could play as a girl. just make the "Chosen Hero" more ambiguous than presented in game. And more importantly, more customization for what the characters would look like.

While BotW is a great game, and is quite polished, it still is the buggiest Zelda game i've ever played. Not as bad as Fallout 3/NV, but still..

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 01:33:36 PM »

Didn't fallout 4 recently add mods on consoles?

And this opens a whole other thing for me and Nintendo: I really wish they'd just make games for any platform and stop making consoles. They have the kind of name recognition that would make that viable, as long as they kept their games to the same quality, (even the worst Nintendo game is still a well made game from a technical standpoint, even when it's well made shit a la Starfox Zero.) and Id love to play BoW, but not so much that I'm willing to drop 300 bucks on a switch.

AnIndex of My Work

Sparkletwist

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: