Ads

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Witiko Falls  (Read 24524 times)
Iä! Iä!
Yrthak

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2014, 09:33:01 AM »

I'll pitch in with an idea, too:

Distant relatives of an eccentric billionnaire that recently passed away and penned their names in his will... with the caveat that they'll only get a share of the inheritance if they move to his mansion and see the weird pet project he'd been working on to it's completion.

¡ɟlǝs ǝnɹʇ ǝɥʇ ´ʍopɐɥS ɯɐ I
Paragon * (Paragon Rules) * Savage Age (Wiki) * Argyrian Empire

Stream-of-Consiousness Prophet.
Flumph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2014, 09:48:40 AM »

Scooby Doo would be proud.

VerkonenVreeg, The Nice.Celtricia, World of Factions

Steel Island Online gaming thread
The Collegium Arcana Online Game
Old, evil, twisted, damaged, and afflicted.  Orbis non sufficit.Thread Murderer Extraordinaire, and supposedly pragmatic...\"That is my interpretation. That the same rules designed to reduce the role of the GM and to empower the player also destroyed the autonomy to create a consistent setting. And more importantly, these rules reduce the Roleplaying component of what is supposed to be a \'Fantasy Roleplaying game\' to something else\"-Vreeg

WINGED NEMESIS
Owlbear

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2014, 07:54:07 AM »

I'm all about at least some of the PCs being criminals fleeing a botched job because, in addition to the obvious source of inspiration, it seems Coenesque scenario and something about Witiko Falls just evokes the Coen Brothers for me: Fargo, The Ladykillers, and that masterpiece of slow-burning existential horror, No Country For Old Men in particular.

I'd also question the use of Fear Itself instead of, say, a reworked Trail of Cthulhu, but that's entirely because it's the one Gumshoe iteration I've never touched and I've heard it's a finicky beast. Then again, you're one of the people I'd trust most to run a good horror game, so maybe I shouldn't be so cynical.

Spawn of Ungoliant
Flumph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2014, 09:43:01 AM »

Superbright

I'm all about at least some of the PCs being criminals fleeing a botched job because, in addition to the obvious source of inspiration, it seems Coenesque scenario and something about Witiko Falls just evokes the Coen Brothers for me: Fargo, The Ladykillers, and that masterpiece of slow-burning existential horror, No Country For Old Men in particular.

Yes, absolutely; as soon as I started thinking about criminals on the run I started thinking about suitcases full of money, Fargo, and ambiguously preternatural hitmen with bizarre favored weapons (gotta love that bolt pistol) and/or taste in beverages.

I think part of the charm of stuff like Twin Peaks and even a lot of Lovecraft's work is that it's not clear whether something "supernatural" is happening for quite some time, and even when we get a peak behind the curtain there's no real revelation, just a deeper set of ambiguities.  I think that fits well with the sort of neo-noir stuff the Coen Brothers and Tarantino dabble in.

The "band of criminals" approach has the added advantage that everyone has a set of unique skills (driving, shooting, infiltration, smooth-talking, cracking heads, etc) which is always helpful in any roleplaying game.

Superbright

I'd also question the use of Fear Itself instead of, say, a reworked Trail of Cthulhu, but that's entirely because it's the one Gumshoe iteration I've never touched and I've heard it's a finicky beast. Then again, you're one of the people I'd trust most to run a good horror game, so maybe I shouldn't be so cynical.

From what I've seen the GUMSHOE variants are fairly close.  I was under the impression that Trail of Cthulhu - which I do not own/have not played - was more old-timey i.e. 1930s oriented?  Is that accurate or is it more generic?

My guess as to what people find finnicky are the Risk Factors, which remind me a little bit of Fate compels and do strike me as potentially fiddly, but hopefully I can weave them in organically.

WINGED NEMESIS
Owlbear

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2014, 11:38:36 AM »

With GUMSHOE, era is largely a function of what sort of investigative and general skills you have access to and what you can do with them. Trail of Cthulhu is definitely oriented towards a Depression-era setting, but Pelgrane has published adventures set everywhere from the Great War to the Cold War. My personal opinion when it comes to GUMSHOE is that if you're planning on using it for modern games (and especially if the characters are going to be criminals with defined group roles), go with Night's Black Agents: it's the most thoroughly-developed iteration of my system so far, extremely flexible, and designed so that you can easily pare down the more "cinematic" elements if you want to run a tense, gritty game. Then again, even as I'm typing this, I looked at the SRD you posted and it does a reasonable job of synthesizing a good, generic form of the system.

Spawn of Ungoliant
Flumph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2014, 11:44:55 AM »

I figured Night's Black Agents might encourage PCs of a slightly higher power level than the one I was envisioning, but I could be wrong.  Mostly I'm interested in GUMSHOE as a system, and the rest is just frills.

WINGED NEMESIS
Owlbear

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2014, 11:53:43 AM »

At its lowest setting, characters start with 55 build points and a Health cap of 10, so combat can get remarkably grim remarkably quickly. Now that I've read it through all the way, that SRD is pretty fantastic and I can't believe I didn't realize they'd released one.

Spawn of Ungoliant
Flumph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2014, 04:25:58 PM »

Yeah, the SRD will be super-useful at my gaming table, where everyone has a phone/tablet/laptop handy already (this is one of the reasons I primarily run Pathfinder).

On the subject of voice recordings: I'm planning on including a series of audio-tapes constituting the dream journal of a fence and smuggler, "Mr. Fox."  He's an experienced, streetwise, hardened criminal, but also kind of eccentric... he might be doing the recordings for the benefit of his therapist, or possibly he's convinced he can determine mystic secrets from them or something, I haven't decided.  I got so many generous volunteers to do voice stuff - does anyone particularly like the sound of this guy?

Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2014, 04:37:33 PM »

Any particular voice you looking for? Nasal, deep, gravelly, raspy?

Spawn of Ungoliant
Flumph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2014, 05:35:17 PM »

I'm not picky, to be honest, and I'd feel bad about asking for a certain type of voice.  Some of the best gangsters don't sound much like gangsters.

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2014, 10:22:32 PM »

I'd like to hear about who else you'd like voiced before choosing one. That being said, my voice is a bit goofy and light, so I can probably cover the eccentric part of the above fellow.

Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2016, 07:30:04 PM »

Did you ever run a game in this setting?

Spawn of Ungoliant
Flumph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2016, 08:12:20 PM »

My reach exceeded my grasp with this one, although I like the idea of writing more about the Falls.

Straight Outta Johto
Giff

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2016, 08:19:25 PM »

Steerpike

My reach exceeded my grasp with this one, although I like the idea of writing more about the Falls.

This breaks my heart. I would love to play in this. Still this happens to me all the time.

Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2016, 08:39:57 PM »

Steerpike

Although I like the idea of writing more about the Falls.

I'll certainly not complain. smile

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: