Ads

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Witiko Falls  (Read 24505 times)
Spawn of Ungoliant
Flumph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 08:27:06 PM »

Light Dragon

Ah, good idea. Feel free to ask here if you'd like voice actors for short bits and bobs of dialogue... like for Bioshockesque voice recorders left hither and tither.

Holy crap, that would be amazing.  Would people be interested in volunteering their voices?  I can't really afford to pay anyone, but that is an amazing idea.

Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 08:58:48 PM »

Count me in.

Stream-of-Consiousness Prophet.
Flumph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 09:57:40 PM »

i would be happy to lend my sarcastic tenor/baritone....

VerkonenVreeg, The Nice.Celtricia, World of Factions

Steel Island Online gaming thread
The Collegium Arcana Online Game
Old, evil, twisted, damaged, and afflicted.  Orbis non sufficit.Thread Murderer Extraordinaire, and supposedly pragmatic...\"That is my interpretation. That the same rules designed to reduce the role of the GM and to empower the player also destroyed the autonomy to create a consistent setting. And more importantly, these rules reduce the Roleplaying component of what is supposed to be a \'Fantasy Roleplaying game\' to something else\"-Vreeg

(Salacious Angel)
Flail Snail

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 10:27:17 PM »

Hells yeah.

Gibbering Mouther

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 10:28:42 PM »

I'm in.

The Godsmith
Flail Snail

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 11:05:26 AM »

I'd help.

Previously: Natural 20, Critical Threat, Rose of Montague
- Currently working on: The Smoking Hills - A bottom-up, seat-of-my-pants, fairy tale adventure!

I always take 20
Administrator
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 12:10:46 PM »

Yes I'd love to do this. Incidentally I have a pretty high quality microphone so this would finally give me a chance to use it properly.

Spawn of Ungoliant
Flumph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2014, 12:56:49 PM »

Wow, more responses than I thought!  Could be pretty fun.

I'm debating how I want to open the first game.  Any thoughts on these scenarios?

(1) A documentary film crew in the town to shoot a film.  Very Blair Witch.

(2) A group of prisoners on the lamb, heading to the Canadian border, who decide to lie low in the town.

(3) A group of strangers on a Greyhound Bus that breaks down, temporarily stranding them in the town.

(4) A group of mountaineers who get lost on their way to or from their destination (or perhaps one of the group falls ill).

Iä! Iä!
Yrthak

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 01:37:45 PM »

Most of those setups could make it potentially complicated for PCs to stick around for future scenarios. The prisoners one especially might be hard to justify for a long while without pulling the railroady (albeit in this case amusingly ironic) "the town won't let you leave" card. Rather than outright forcing characters to stay, though, it'd be better to provide some reasons why they would do so out of their own will.

(4) Would be the least problematic case because then the PCs might actually be residents of Witiko Falls.

¡ɟlǝs ǝnɹʇ ǝɥʇ ´ʍopɐɥS ɯɐ I
Paragon * (Paragon Rules) * Savage Age (Wiki) * Argyrian Empire

Spawn of Ungoliant
Flumph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2014, 01:56:25 PM »

Good point, Ghostman.  For the first scenario I run I'm aiming more for strictly one-shot territory, but still, it might be nice to have the potential for characters to stick around.  A family moving to the town is another possibility.

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2014, 02:38:53 PM »

(2) A group of prisoners on the lamb, heading to the Canadian border, who decide to lie low in the town.
As much as I'd like to see a group of prisoners on the lam, riding lambs, across the Canadian border, while lying low and using the bleats as cover, Ghostman makes a good point.

But perhaps you could change it a bit- these people are fugitives, but they're not prisoners. Or rather, they're jumping bail, not prison. They may have bounty hunters and servers of process come after them, but they've crossed state lines, so there's not a huge push to  follow them--so they're lying low here, in the middle of nowhere- four states away, each for their own particular reasons. Perhaps a 'fixer' set them us with this location as being a secluded one (as was set up for Walter in Breaking Bad). This would allow for dark pasts, easy replacements- more people get sent there to "disappear" from the law (to replace dead PCs), and a justification to work together both against the shadowy city and against the shadowy 'fixer.'

(6) option: People transferred to the town as part of their company's move of corporate headquarters (I think this is similar to the Erie, Indiana series' justification?? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101088/)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 02:54:39 PM by Light Dragon » Logged

Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2014, 02:46:05 PM »

#1 could assume PCs (and thus players) know a good bit about the town, so I would save that setup for a later game (when the players will know more, and their PCs might be drawn by rumors of the mysterious demise of the first group).

#2 is a cool concept. Whether it should be first or not might depend on your players' preference.

#3 doesn't necessarily set up a reason why the PCs would start 'exploring' unless you throw a plot at them (which seems to be contrary to the whole sandbox-goal). However, you could combine this concept with any of the others. For instance, a film crew en route to another place makes the most of their time by doing a documentary. Fugitives could be on the bus when it breaks down.

#4 works well, especially if their tour guide has an accident or falls ill. Consequently, they would have an incentive to stay together, but also spend their time exploring while they wait.

EDIT: I really like LD's suggestions.

#5 would be interesting, but a family imposes certain inter-PC dynamics -which some players might love while others loathe.

Another concept could be a group of speculative surveyors or estate prospectors hired by a corporation or private individual. By deciding what site they are meant to survey, you give them immediate reason to explore the desired adventure spot while also allowing them to still wander in their 'free time'.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 02:47:46 PM by Rose-of-Vellum » Logged

I always take 20
Administrator
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2014, 02:58:01 PM »

I like the idea of the PCs using the town as a place to lay low for an extended period of time. There are all sorts of character possibilities there...

- A wife hiding from her abusive stalker ex-husband
- An escaped convict hiding from the law
- The target of a hit trying to hide from the hitmen
- A spy agency whistle blower evading his vengeful employer
- A kid on the run from a horrible foster family
- etc etc

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2014, 03:08:26 PM »

Nice elaboration of reasons for hiding in the town, Nomadic.

Some possible catchphrases and dialogue-strings I just brainstormed:

"Witikio Falls... the place to just... disappear."

"Who is... the Fixer..."
'We just hear his, or someone who claims that it's his, voice on the phone. We've never met him."
"I thought the Fixer was a woman?"

-
As an aside- I also like the idea of surveyors/ geologic survey/engineering survey, or construction workers at a job site (workers range from foreman, electricians, skilled workers, unskilled workers, to manager, etc.) heck, if you make it an oil well, you can expand the potential PCs to roughnecks, toolpushers, company man, geologists, surveyors, title examiners, attorneys, etc. each of which are getting set up in different housing: some are in portable trailers, a few are in shady houses by themselves, others are in bed/breakfast like places, living over a garage while a local family lives in the regular house... because of the oil boom, there's too many people in town. The problem with an oil boom though is that it doesn't make the place as isolated as it would seem you desire... but possibly it's only a faux oil boom.... some crazy billionaire industrialist decided to wildcat a well in the region and sent a bunch of people there with orders to find oil or else- (because his psychic told him that there would be oil there, etc.)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 03:12:05 PM by Light Dragon » Logged

Spawn of Ungoliant
Flumph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2014, 04:42:37 PM »

Yeah, I don't think I'd do an oil boom, but an archaeological team could be perfect - after all there are bound to be weird carvings and artefacts they can investigate.

The more I think about the "escaped prisoners" angle the more I don't like it, but I do like the idea of a group of criminals lying low, especially since it gives the characters a good reason to be carrying weapons and to have a few special skills.  Perhaps they're fleeing a botched heist, as in Resevoir Dogs?  There might even be a contact waiting for them in town, a contact that goes mysteriously missing...

Also a wonderful way to incite some paranoia, players worried they might be double-crossed etc.

Also, love the "Witikio Falls... the place to just... disappear." tagline.

And I hadn't heard of Eerie before!  Thanks for the link, LD.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: