Ads

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: The Name Thread  (Read 9296 times)
My name has nothing to do with internet gaming.
Yrthak

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2011, 12:05:59 PM »

This threads purpose is simple. It exists to serve as a place where builders can run by a name, or names, that they have created for their setting. At one time or another, I'm sure we've all created what we thought was the perfect name for a setting, a city, a god, what have you, only to find out later that the name already exists in another setting, someone else has laid claim to it in one form or another, it is actuallya very silly sounding name, or, in my case, that it means "penis" in Dutch.

So, just write the name, or names, you wish for the public to see, perhaps with a bit of context as to the setting, and drink in that fine critique...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 12:15:22 PM by Señor Leetz » Logged

Let's go teach these monkeys about evolution.
-Mark Wahlberg

Yrthak

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 12:54:07 PM »

I suppose I might as well be the first to use this and see how it goes.

So, I'm trying to nail down a solid name for an empire that was lost long ago. It is for Arga, so the whole Greekpunk ethos comes into play. It originally was Pella, but with me deciding on calling the core are of Arga the Pellanosi, it sounds to similair. Maybe Vella? Della? or something completely different like Nyros, Neros, or Myrminos (I like this one).

Thoughts?

-Mark Wahlberg

[insert witty statement here]
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 01:01:45 PM »

Myrminos sounds really cool, but a bit aquatic since it makes me think of Myrmadon. Nyrimos doesn't have quite the same sound, combines two of those words, and seems to work for what you're going for as a suggestion. (I'm not a big fan of the -ella names, personally)

AnIndex of My Work

Sparkletwist

It's llitul and the brain, llitul and the brain, one is a genius and the other's insane
Proud Receiver of a Golden Dorito

Yrthak

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 01:03:15 PM »

Xathan Of Many Worlds

Myrminos sounds really cool, but a bit aquatic since it makes me think of Myrmadon. Nyrimos doesn't have quite the same sound, combines two of those words, and seems to work for what you're going for as a suggestion. (I'm not a big fan of the -ella names, personally)

Aquatic is Argas middle name.

-Mark Wahlberg

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 01:04:36 PM »

Señor Leetz

Xathan Of Many Worlds

Aquatic is Argas middle name.

You can tell how familiar I am, then. sad I really need to get better at delving through the older setings. in that case, I'd go with Myrminos - fits the aquatic and sounds very greekish. smile

AnIndex of My Work

Sparkletwist

It's llitul and the brain, llitul and the brain, one is a genius and the other's insane

Yrthak

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 01:07:31 PM »

in the next couple weeks i should be reposting older ideas and posting newer ideas from the ground up, so you'll have a good change to get into if you so desire.

-Mark Wahlberg

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 01:12:31 PM »

I do desire, and I shall!

Also, I have a name I'm looking for:

The setting of the IRC game For Terra Macabra is going to take place on an asteroid that was sliced in half lengthwise and a city was put on top of it, and the whole thing was pulled into Earth's Atmosphere (stay about 1-2km above the surface, over the ocean) and is kept running by a combination of...well, of everything's technology. It's an amazing piece of artwork and a bit of a testament to what happens when all the technology of Nascent and Elder things is combined, since they've created the first ever Earthship, as large as a city flying over the oceans. It's also perhaps the most powerful military construct ever.

As far as naming goes, I have a few vague ideas - Vestra, Shunta, Shabbot, Aelithia...but none of them I'm super happy with. Keep in mind this does take place on Earth, so all Earth languages apply, and most of the Elder Things speak some dialect of R'lyehian. Thoughts?

AnIndex of My Work

Sparkletwist

Yrthak

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 01:15:54 PM »

Antipode? Umbral? something latin?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 01:19:58 PM by Señor Leetz » Logged

-Mark Wahlberg

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 01:34:10 PM »

Hmmm...the Antipode has a nice ring to it - and would fit, given what a brief wiki search shows...as for Latin, I'm not sure which would be best - though a Latin name would fit the setting very well.

AnIndex of My Work

Sparkletwist

I am Doubt, hear me mutter!
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 01:46:43 PM »

Myrminos is nice, but almost seems a bit too familiar; too closely linked to Myrmidon and thus too obviously greek. I do like the sounds though, just can't figure out how to put them together in a combination that isn't as closely associated with the above. Myrmellion? Myrmelen?

Currently...
Writing: Broken Verge v. 207
Reading: the Black Sea: a History by Charles King
Watching: Farscape and Arrested Development

Yrthak

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 01:50:20 PM »

Myrmenox?

EDIT: I like this even better than Myrminos, which I will admit sounded too much like myrmidon. Also, I think this thread may be a good idea...

-Mark Wahlberg

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 02:07:48 PM »

You had a great idea with this thread, Leetz. I approve.

And Myrmenox sounds awesome. Greek and has a feeling of age to it, which is very fitting from what you described.

AnIndex of My Work

Sparkletwist

I am Doubt, hear me mutter!
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 02:14:10 PM »

Myrmenox works, although the 'x' is a very classical fantasy name signature. It is also a genuine letter though, so by all means use it.

Currently...
Writing: Broken Verge v. 207
Reading: the Black Sea: a History by Charles King
Watching: Farscape and Arrested Development

Yrthak

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 03:58:33 PM »

I like this thread! A lot!

I don't currently have anything I need a name for, but when I do, you can be damn sure this is where I'll come!

all hail the reapers of hope

Iä! Iä!
Yrthak

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 04:39:39 PM »

Just so you know, myrmex means 'ant' in ancient Greek.

Also, Pella was a real city in ancient Greece. And not just any old city - it was the capital of the Macedonian Greeks, famed for certain monarch called Alexander.

¡ɟlǝs ǝnɹʇ ǝɥʇ ´ʍopɐɥS ɯɐ I
Paragon * (Paragon Rules) * Savage Age (Wiki) * Argyrian Empire

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: