Ads

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems and Changes with New Version of e107  (Read 2055 times)
Owlbear

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 12:12:22 AM »

Ninja D!

Fixing the spoiler tags forced most of my sig onto one line and I don't seem to be able to change it. Not a big deal but there it is.

Also, now when I click "Forum", I see:

Not Found

The requested URL /e107_plugins/forum/forum.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Was wondering what this was about. Thanks for fixing!

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 01:23:03 AM »

I tried to add the comment 'Whatever Sparkletwist did to fix the forum tab seems to have changed all forum URLs. If all of our links are broken, anyway, we might be better off starting from scratch on a new forum.' To the latest news post but I'm getting an 'Access Denied'.

I always take 20
Administrator
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 04:58:11 AM »

New forums are coming along nicely.

Done:
- frontpage
- formatted tavern
- set up latest posts
- linked news box into news section for more streamlined and integrated news posts (news posts are now threads)
- updated, yet similar style
- migration test
- fixed weird topic reply number issue
- fixed posting in tavern redirecting you to the forums
- fixed a few mistransferred characters
- ported over basic bbcodes and their styles (thank you sparkletwist)
- added forums link to front page
- edited thread profiles to better fit the community style
- added default avatar functionality (yes, it's a cabbage)

To Do List:
- edit post.template to fix custom buttons
- move avatar image directory over
- run a query so that avatar references point to the SMF directory (not the e107 dir)
- check on signature issues
- port advanced bbcode (spoiler, dice, etc)
- try to fix rest of mistransferred characters
- integrate wiki
- reorganize the forums (categories need updating)
- run queries to bring things in line (remove post numbers from quotes, etc)
- finish formatting
- SUPER SECRET AWESOME SURPRISE

Plan of action:
- Finish testing and setup
- Save all database queries that were done into txt in preparation for migration
- Shut down e107
- Run migration script for last time (will take about 10-15 minutes)
- Run saved queries (about 5 minutes)
- Test
- Archive old site files (5-10 minutes)
- Bring new forums into main site directory
- Test
- Bring site up
- Test
- Archive old site database
- Move archive into archive directory
- Wipe clean any and all remaining old files outside archive

Estimated Downtime: 25-45 minutes (hope for 25 but prepare for 60)

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 07:30:51 AM »

Nomadic

- linked news box into news section for more streamlined and integrated news posts (news posts are now threads)
I think I like this...but will they still appear on the front page in a similar fashion or is that going away?

Nomadic

- integrate wiki
Integrated like it is now or some different way?

Nomadic

I agree that the categories could use some updating. Any idea of the specifics yet?

Nomadic

Right now, in this moment, I am experiencing fear.

Nomadic

Aaaaawwwwwww yeeeeaaaah!

rhetorical baloney sandwiches
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 10:48:27 AM »

Speaking of the wiki: is it possible/feasable for us to be able to download backups of the wiki (or at least of the wiki stuff we've worked on?)

I have confidence in the CBG that the wiki's going to be around for a while, but all the same I'd like to have a backup of my wiki stuff on my hard drive, just in case. (And I'd rather not copy/paste the source of hundreds of pages into a wordpad document, if there's a convenient alternative.)

I move quick: I'm gonna try my trick one last time--
you know it's possible to vaguely define my outline
when dust move in the sunshine

I always take 20
Administrator
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 01:14:01 PM »

Luminous Crayon

Speaking of the wiki: is it possible/feasable for us to be able to download backups of the wiki (or at least of the wiki stuff we've worked on?)

I have confidence in the CBG that the wiki's going to be around for a while, but all the same I'd like to have a backup of my wiki stuff on my hard drive, just in case. (And I'd rather not copy/paste the source of hundreds of pages into a wordpad document, if there's a convenient alternative.)

If you set up a wamp/lamp private server on your computer with mediawiki on it I could toss the wiki database your way. I wouldn't worry too much, if anything ever happens to the site I will do whatever it takes to make sure that everyone has a chance to save all their work.

Nomadic

I think I like this...but will they still appear on the front page in a similar fashion or is that going away?[/quote]- integrate wiki[/quote]

At the moment probably like it is now. However I am planning on at some point setting it up so that you share accounts across both sides (you don't have to log into the wiki and the forums you log into the site and can use either).

Nomadic

Probably going to streamline some categories that don't really need to be separate (for example all the old archives (cebegia and such) getting put into one archive area as well as some of the off topic boards. I will also be moving a few around and such.

Nomadic

No worries, nothing bad will happen, the site just has to go down during the transfer so we don't lose any posts/new members.

Nomadic

Heh

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 02:22:47 PM »

Nomadic

Luminous Crayon

If you set up a wamp/lamp private server on your computer with mediawiki on it I could toss the wiki database your way. I wouldn't worry too much, if anything ever happens to the site I will do whatever it takes to make sure that everyone has a chance to save all their work.

Yeah, I am not actually worried, but after a recent hard drive mishap during which I lost some important data (because I as a moron who didn't backup his fiiiiiles), it's a little sensitive.

Probably some time over the summer I will do some reading to try to figure out what'd be required to get that private server up and going, and then I'll get in touch about the database. But really I am not so much worried about the wiki going down as I am taking a lesson to heart about redundant backups. (I lost a Celtricia character sheet when that drive failed! No way I can reconstruct that kind of thing!)

I'm a dragon. Rawr, and stuff.
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 02:53:43 PM »

Luminous Crayon

Yeah, I am not actually worried, but after a recent hard drive mishap during which I lost some important data (because I as a moron who didn't backup his fiiiiiles), it's a little sensitive.

But really I am not so much worried about the wiki going down as I am taking a lesson to heart about redundant backups. (I lost a Celtricia character sheet when that drive failed! No way I can reconstruct that kind of thing!)

Dude, you, too?

Before you accept advice from this post, remember that the poster has 0 ranks in knowledge (the hell I'm talking about)

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 02:54:08 PM »

R.I.P., Gordin. ;_;

Administrator
Flail Snail

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »

Ninja D!

I tried to add the comment 'Whatever Sparkletwist did to fix the forum tab seems to have changed all forum URLs. If all of our links are broken, anyway, we might be better off starting from scratch on a new forum.' To the latest news post but I'm getting an 'Access Denied'.

This is an issue, but with a move to a new forum all the links would be broken too. It's hard to avoid because we're changing software. sad
I tried posting comments and it worked fine for me so I guess you caught it in the midst of me or Nomadic messing with something. smile

I always take 20
Administrator
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2011, 04:30:06 AM »

Done:
- removed search box in favor of search page
- removed link for help page (was irrelevant)
- edited user header info to display avatar and basic links and info inside a nice section in the top right (still needs a little formatting)
- fixed most of the weird characters in posts/usernames/signatures/titles/etc
- replaced defunct spoiler tags with spoiler tags
- fixed weird tavern issue that was creating double backslashes due to failure to prune escape characters
- fixed quotes
- ported over spoiler (thanks to sparkle for formatting it so nicely)
- found a way to integrate the wiki (username/password login shared between wiki and smf)
- transferred over avatars and updated their references

getting close to initial release smile

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2011, 05:22:36 AM »

Sweet.

One word of warning; If you launch CBG 2.0 on the same day Duke Nukem Forever releases, the results could be catastrophic.

[insert witty statement here]
Handbag Procurer
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2011, 09:02:27 PM »

I just want to point out that my posts must have been absolute nightmares during the brief period in which spoilers were just black boxes. >.<

I'm looking forward to CBG 2.0 quite a bit, just wanted to say - keep up the good work guys!

AnIndex of My Work

Sparkletwist

It's llitul and the brain, llitul and the brain, one is a genius and the other's insane
Proud Receiver of a Golden Dorito

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2011, 09:10:21 PM »

Hear, hear!

I always take 20
Administrator
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2011, 10:32:35 PM »

The SURPRISE!!!„¢ has been implemented on the new site. I'm still tweaking it a bit but if you go there and look up top you should see it pretty quickly.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: