Ads

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Pinnacle  (Read 6167 times)
Fiercely Anochronistic
Giant Space Hamster

View Profile WWW
« on: June 24, 2009, 04:48:25 PM »

A Dream

A Dusty Journal

...If you are reading this , then it is already too late. Soon your world

will melt away and you will be in the dreaming. Perhaps you uncovered this dusty journal in an

attic, or under a dozen magazines at the bottom of a pitiful cardboard box at a garage sale.

Whatever the case, it is already too late.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 08:29:25 AM by Sarisa » Logged

Spawn of Ungoliant
Flumph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 05:18:05 PM »

Looks very promising.  I'm curious what roles you imagine the plaers as taking.

If you haven't seen them already, have a look at Light Dragon's Wonderworld and Salacious Angel's now quite old (but still brilliant) Glossolalia, both of which remind me of this in places.

Cool to see Mirrormask as an influence; I'm getting a very Dave Mckean sort of vibe from the whole thing...

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 10:09:47 PM »

So what are the main Themes? The struggles for the characters?

This seems a bit like Changeling: the Dreaming.

---
And Steerpike is correct: When you say; "They come looking for you when your time is up.Namely when you run out of
Bloodstone."

That reminds me of the "Taxation" I used in WonderWorld (see signature). smile

Fiercely Anochronistic
Giant Space Hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 11:05:29 PM »

!
 It's like my english lit. teacher used to say, "There are only seven original ideas in the world, and no the banana peel gag is not one of them."
   Sorry if I stepped on any toes guys. I am new to these forums and consequently have only read a fraction of some of the great stuff posted on here. I must admit the similarities between the two elements are uncanny.
   But hey, what's a campaign without an antagonist?

Here are some of the ideas I've been fumbling around with for character classes:

FateChanger- I thought this class would be cool if they had a list of spells they could do randomly , akin to the sorcerer class in the PHB2 of 4ed D&D. Except that they would roll to see what spell they cast, and then using either a static number or even another die roll, be able to add or subtract from the roll to get a desired spell. Something like that.

In addition:
-some kind of summoning class that uses bloodstones to draw creatures, kind of like a life exchange program. Wow. Bad joke.
-Gypsy class complete with tarot deck
-Some kind of builder class akin to Edicts architects.

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 11:41:33 PM »

Oh no, don't worry about "stepping on toes"- I thought the taxation idea was a good one, so I am certainly glad to see someone else's take on it.

---
I'm interested in seeing the builder class detailed.

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 08:41:32 AM »

This is really interesting. I love the way you laid everything out, especially the 'Go to sleep' button. It made me think of a noir computer game.

So what exactly IS pinnacle? A city of some kind, I assume.

Fiercely Anochronistic
Giant Space Hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 11:49:27 AM »

Pinnacle is the ever changing city. Often incoherent, but based on a few major landmarks, like Time's Square, or the Underblood tunnels.
   The Four each have a seat of power, Dream lives in a big abandoned theatre with neo-classical motifs, Edict lives in a massive tower, obviously over-compensating for something, Lady fate could be attached to Times Square as a bag lady persona, and Raven would live in the tunnels beneath the city.

I am Doubt, hear me mutter!
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 08:17:16 AM »

I could imagine Rapture from bioshock as a possible inspiration as well.
And glad to hear I'm not the only one who thought Mirrormask had some great elements! laugh
... Malcolm?
Anyyyway, looking promising. Keep it up.

Currently...
Writing: Broken Verge v. 207
Reading: the Black Sea: a History by Charles King
Watching: Farscape and Arrested Development

Fiercely Anochronistic
Giant Space Hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 11:52:33 AM »

Bioshock was a pretty cool game. Actually I think the setting was immersive enough to save it from its terrible gameplay(IMHO).

I'm thinking about what kind of creatures would live here. I think I'm going to go with aberration types. Along with a goblinoid creature but more akin to a creepy little hairy thing. (not the lime green dogslicer wielding comic-relief type goblin) No these guys are going to be intelligent scavengers. Street thugs who steal bloodstone.
  The aberrations will be nightmarish (literally) things in dark alleys and strange buildings.

Biohazard
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 10:14:46 PM »

Definitely adding to the general consensus of the setting's awesomeness. Cool intro fluff and bloodstones are a wicked concept. Looking forward to seeing more detail.

Fiercely Anochronistic
Giant Space Hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 03:39:54 PM »

Just some stuff I've been pondering:

-Core mechanic will be based on two attributes: Bloodstone determining HP (how much damage you can take/deal out. An overall vague measure of how strong you are. And Magistone, determining MP ( how willful your character is, an all encompassing trait for magic)

- Everything else, like climbing, jumping etc. will be based on die rolls. I never was a # cruncher, and I'm thinking this setting will be for hard core RPers. Although this is just a rough outline , I'm thinking the less numbers to worry about , the easier it will be to focus on character development, which brings me to

-Characters will develop in-game. At the start, a PC will pick an affinity for either Bloodstone or Magistone and go from there.
 Powers, skills etc. could be aquired through quests. 'Magic' items are debatable.

-Each session is a 'dream' which allows for a wide variety of theme and tone, as well as the whims of the DM. The 'dream' (sessions) will always feature the city of Pinnacle, outlined above, and the Four which I'm thinking about calling the Absolutes.
 These are the 'gods' in a sense, as they define the physical natural laws found in the dreams. Why they exist is sketchy right now. Maybe they are gods, trapped in a dream world they can only ever hope to escape. Also thinking about sessions which bounce between waking and sleeping. (akin to the Matrix, only the PCs are no Neo)This would require a hell of a lot of input from players to develop characters.

-A morality mechanic would be pretty cool. Using black and white stones alongside the blood and magic. I picture a PC giving a sick person some bloodstone to keep them alive, and they receive positive karma (white stones). It could be cool. I like the idea of a DM's avatar stalking PC/NPCs alike when they get too naughty, aquiring bad karma(black stones).

-Where to go from here? I guess you would have to find a reason for the adventures. Maybe the PC's could end up becoming the Absolutes in the final sessions. Maybe the plots would just be overall character arcs, a hero's journey for the sake of journeying. More later.

I am Doubt, hear me mutter!
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 02:47:27 PM »

This sounds like it could be a really fun small session-based indie game smile
If that was not your intention i apologize ^^
Just a random comment you might be able to use:
I remember a book series called Broken Sky where you had a certain amount of magical stones buried into your spine around puberty, giving you power based on how many you have (and different powers based on type).
Also, do bloodstone and magistone carry over between dreams?

Currently...
Writing: Broken Verge v. 207
Reading: the Black Sea: a History by Charles King
Watching: Farscape and Arrested Development

Fiercely Anochronistic
Giant Space Hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 01:58:04 AM »

Heya Cataclysmic,

I have no idea what my intention is with this thing, that's part of the fun I think to just go with it you know?
 I have never heard of Broken Sky but I can certainly look it up on Amazon. Sounds kinda weird. (sweeet)
   As for the stones carrying over between dreams, I'm pretty much leaving that up to a DM's discretion.
 More to come...(mwahahahhaaaha)

Spawn of Ungoliant
Flumph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 02:11:24 AM »

I love the dream=session idea.  So you're picturing a fairly surreal sort of series of adventures, then?

Fiercely Anochronistic
Giant Space Hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 09:43:17 AM »

Absolutely.

Just a thought now: Instead of Experience points and all that, perhaps the PCs simply collect the stones from whatever they defeat. Seems completely logical and implied , but felt it necessary to get down on paper. That leads to the question of what rewards do PCs get for non-combat encounters?

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: