Ads

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: The Kingdoms of Aeolond [Pre-Setting Discussion Thread]  (Read 12527 times)
For the Emperor!
Flumph

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2009, 03:47:26 PM »

[size=34]The Kingdoms of Aeolond[/size]

Note

Aeolond is a new campaign setting, or rather it will be. As of right now it is little more than a few ideas and a map. I've always had trouble getting my ideas onto paper (or in this case, into Word) and most of my interesting ideas/settings die before they get off the ground. That is why I am trying something new '“ post my ideas, get feedback, keep writing and, eventually, I will have a setting.

Ramblings on history
In the distant past, the original God - Liffrea - created the stars above and Aeolond below. He forged and placed everything, from the tiniest blade of grass, to the 7 great rivers, to the burning hills of Nacaud, to the floating over mountains of Faela, to each and every human and finally, to the mighty golden throne on which the Emperor of Men would sit and be the voice of reason and justice, the voice of God himself on Aeolond. So it was for 753 years. In that time, the Empire was at peace and the people rejoiced at their fortune. Unfortunately all good things, as they say, must pass, the Empire and even God were not exempt. On new years day of the year 753 the newly crowned Emperor of Mankind suffered a stroke and died with out an heir. This had never before occurred, nor was a contingency every devised. Blood poured in the streets as the masses fell to riot believing God had forsaken them. As he watched from above, helpless to interfere, Liffrea, God of Men, forged 7 great Axes and ordered his angels to slay him. The Angels could not disobey and thus hacked and hacked and hacked at God's body until only pulp and blood remained. With Liffrea now dead, an Apocalypse of sorts did occur.

It is said on that day the sky turned purple and the seas pink as the earth violently shook, destroying Man's greatest cities and monuments. Whole stretches of Aeolond where ripped away, feeding a great maelstrom high above the land which would eventually birth the 7 Planes. When all was said and done, Aeolond was half as large as it once was, the people were flung across the land, divided and leaderless; it was the beginning of the Dark Ages that would last for nearly a thousand years. Little is remembered of the Dark Ages as literacy was all but forgotten as man's only concern was survival. Hundreds of tribes grew up to replace the old Empire, some were nomadic, others sedentary. War and disease were common, few lived past their mid-thirties.

What is known is that some time after the death of Emperor Arden II, the last Emperor of the First Empire, the great maelstrom abated and birthed the 7 Planes, each with a God born from the Axes that slew Liffrea. These 7 Gods were not like Liffrea and did no possess his omnipotence nor his omniscience nor is unending patience. They were pettier and possessed their own agendas even still, the 7 could feel each and every human's sorrow, their pain and their suffering. And so they decided the only way to end this torment would be to re-forge the Empire of Men. Each God tried in turn based their age (counting from when they broke free from the maelstrom). Each tried to send down a new race, meant to either inspire men or make them cower in fear, yet each in turn failed. The 7th God, Gwydane, decided to weaken the shield surrounding Aeolond and allow the mythical creatures that dwelt in his primordial forest to venture forth into Aeolond. His hope was that Men, and the 6 other races now inhabiting the continent, would unite to defeat the tide of beasts. The plan backfired and the races of Aeolond slipped further into despair and darkness.

Finally, the sole angel left from the times of Liffrea, traveled down to a small cave high up in what is today the Highlands and spoke to a single 15 year old boy. The Angel told the boy about the First Empire, of reverence for the true God and taught him science, reason, history, and much more. That boy emerged from the cave at the age of 16 and went on to conquer the continent and forged the Second Empire. He would be remembered as Jarvis the Great. The Empire Jarvis created brought an end to the Dark Ages that had plagued the previous thousand years and brought forth an era of peace and stability that would, sadly, last only last for a mere 136 years.

The great grandson of Emperor Jarvis the Great, Emperor Kenton I, died with four heirs. He was a bitter man who believed his four children, as well as his many servants and courtiers, were plotting to assassinate him. After years of odd behavior, Emperor Kenton hung himself, his note read only that he named no heir to his throne as punishment for their [perceived] plots. Each Heir declared them self Emperor and marshaled an army to back their claim. Luckily, no blood was spilled, no battles had, as each of the 4 heirs agreed to split the Empire into 4 pieces and take the lesser title of King. And so the 4 Kingdoms were forged - the Highlands, the Midlands, the Westlands and the Eastlands.

Five years after the Treaty of Newchurch, the King of the Westlands - Morven I - died in a hunting accident, leaving 3 heirs and left no indication who should be crowned in his place. His 3 heirs, like their father and uncles before, each raised and army except this time no deal could be struck. The Westlands were torn asunder by rampant and petty violence as each heir tried to secure victory. The bulk of the traditional war was fought on the streets of Lythwyn, capital of the Westlands. The three armies fought a bitter war for control of its streets and canals. In the end, the youngest heir declared herself Queen Thistle of the Lowlands, claiming Lokbog as her capital. With a promise of neutrality, the other two heirs let their sister have the bog infested lands. The war dragged on for 3 years until finally Faeder Paar, leader of the Church, threatened to excommunicate the two heirs if they did not come to a peace deal. The two acquiesced and Owswin was granted the more fertile north and the title King of the Uplands, while the oldest son Morven was granted the title of King of the Westlands and given the mineral rich lands south of Lethwyn and west of the Grene River.

And so, there came to pass the 6 Kingdoms that grace the lands of Aeolond today.

Links[/b]

Kingdoms and Regions
- The Kingdom of the Heartlands
- The Kingdom of the Highlands
- The Kingdom of the Midlands
- The Kingdom of the Sutlands
- The Kingdom of the Uplands
- The Kingdom of the Westlands

Other Lands
- The Northlands
- The Planes of Aeolond

Organizations of Aeolond
- The Wizards Guild

Other Topics
- The Races of Aeolond
- The Timeline of Aeolond
- Overview of Religion
- The Noble Ranks of Aeolond

Other Posts
- Various Maps of Aeolond (last updated 4-30-09)
- The Lineage of the Royal Families
- The Flags of Aeolond
- More to Come!

Finally, anyone that posts in this thread is entitled to take this badge as a thank you!

Code:
[url=http://www.thecbg.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?66357.0][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/RHO1/Aeolondbip.png[/img][/url]  
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 08:13:22 PM by Jaerc » Logged

I am Doubt, hear me mutter!
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 03:53:19 PM »

Eagerly awaiting any interesting ideas. Would have been nice if you had put up at least one with the thread ^^

Currently...
Writing: Broken Verge v. 207
Reading: the Black Sea: a History by Charles King
Watching: Farscape and Arrested Development

For the Emperor!
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 04:06:51 PM »

Cataclysmic Crow

Eagerly awaiting any interesting ideas. Would have been nice if you had put up at least one with the thread ^^

How'd this get here...  x. Ooops, I hit submit instead of Preview... Yes ideas will be coming...  

For the Emperor!
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 05:13:38 PM »

Ok, there we go. I have a blurb about the history of the setting. Sorry it took me so long smile

I always take 20
Administrator
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 05:51:48 PM »

Very awesome, can't wait to see what's next. So the real question is, how much did Jharvis pay you to make him emperor of your setting?

Stream-of-Consiousness Prophet.
Flumph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 06:17:01 PM »

was the eastoland's King the eldest?  he made out like a bandit...

VerkonenVreeg, The Nice.Celtricia, World of Factions

Steel Island Online gaming thread
The Collegium Arcana Online Game
Old, evil, twisted, damaged, and afflicted.  Orbis non sufficit.Thread Murderer Extraordinaire, and supposedly pragmatic...\"That is my interpretation. That the same rules designed to reduce the role of the GM and to empower the player also destroyed the autonomy to create a consistent setting. And more importantly, these rules reduce the Roleplaying component of what is supposed to be a \'Fantasy Roleplaying game\' to something else\"-Vreeg

For the Emperor!
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 07:07:42 PM »

Nomadic

Very awesome, can't wait to see what's next. So the real question is, how much did Jharvis pay you to make him emperor of your setting?

Lol, I'm just using Old English names and Jarvis means 'Conqueror,' so I thought it was fitting smile

Lord Vreeg

Was the eastoland's King the eldest?  he made out like a bandit...

Actually he was the youngest. The Oldest, Kenton II took the ancestral lands where Jarvis began his great war to unite the continent (i.e. the Highlands). Drake, the King of the Eastlands, was able to take the region because he just happened to be in Alecaster when his father died. Drake moved rather quickly to secure the support of the towns surrounding Alecaster, as well as the important town of Gyldenport (the largest port on the continent). He was able to entrench himself to the point where only open war could push him out.

Gibbering Mouther

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 07:48:18 PM »

Great history section, I am very interested in seeing where this setting goes. The only question I have right now is what program did you use to make your amazing map? Photoshop?

For the Emperor!
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 07:57:34 PM »

XXsiriusXX

Great history section, I am very interested in seeing where this setting goes. The only question I have right now is what program did you use to make your amazing map? Photoshop?

Thanks! I used Photoshop CS3, though you could easily do this with CS2 (I often switch between the two). smile

I always take 20
Administrator
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 09:40:03 PM »

Elemental_Elf

XXsiriusXX

Thanks! I used Photoshop CS3, though you could easily do this with CS2 (I often switch between the two). smile

In fact you could do it with CS. It's awesome regardless though some of the colors make it hard to tell where one area starts and the other begins.

For the Emperor!
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 10:01:05 PM »

Nomadic

Elemental_Elf

XXsiriusXX

In fact you could do it with CS. It's awesome regardless though some of the colors make it hard to tell where one area starts and the other begins.

Actually, I'm fairly sure I could do it with my old copy of Adobe Photoshop 5.5LE, lol. smile

As for the colors. Its a by product of having to keep the colors at such a low opacity. The original map had much brighter colors. I'll try to fix that for the next version smile In fact, I just updated it smile

For the Emperor!
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 10:13:37 PM »

Here's the Lineage of the Royal Families, its not a full family tree, it just lists the important people (i.e. are either Kings or Emperors.

For the Emperor!
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 03:56:13 PM »

The Planes Of Aeolond
There are 7 planes that orbit Aeolond, each with its own unique character and God. Travel to and from the planes is relatively simple, only requiring a simple ritual and a small sacrifice symbolizing the plane. As easy as the ritual may be, the Planes are not place for the weak of heart, for most are extremely dangerous with roving hordes of unearthly creatures that are more than capable of ripping a man a sunder.

The Lehtlands
- The Lehtlands is the plane of eternal day, symbolized by the sun. The Plane is comprised of an unending series of rolling hills covered by a thick carpet of grass. The skies are always clear with a scant number of fluffy clouds floating high above. The plane is inhabited by celestial creatures who guard the many cemeteries that do the landscape. The Lehtlands are ruled over by Lehta, a virtuous warrior goddess often seen in a set of golden full plate. She is the goddess of virtue, honor and battle.

The Throslands
- The Throslands is a blasted plane of eternal night, symbolized the moon. The plane is devoid of life, thunderstorms roar overhead, the rain violently strikes the land forming torrents of flash flooding that race across the land. The plane is inhabited by all manner of undead, all of whom worship Thros the Unclean, god of undead and necromancy. When not in his necromantic palace, Thros is often seen as an old emaciated lich, with a crown made of obsidian bejeweled with the eyes of his enemies.

The Fyrlands
- The Fyrlands is a plane of basin and range mountains eternally lit of fire. The basins are covered in a thick layer of black ash and the skies have an equally thick layer of choking smoke. The plane is inhabited by all manner of creatures infused with living fire, such as hellcats, firerats and hellhorses. The plane is ruled by Fyr the Mighty. He is a barbarous warlord who revels equally in the hunt and the slaughter that follows. Fyr is the god of barbarism, recklessness, fire and big weapons. The plane is symbolized by the Red Orb.

The Wodorlands
- The Wodorlands is a plane of a never-ending ocean and is symbolized by the Blue Orb. The great sea is dotted with thousands of tiny craggy islands. The ocean is said to be as blue as Emperor Jarvis I's eyes. The plane is inhabited by sea creatures of all sizes, of note are the great anglerwhales, dire ichthyosaurs and wise lionturtles. The plane is ruled by Wodora the Compassionate. She is often seen as a beautiful Watelf draped in a silken robe. She is the goddess of beauty, love and courtship.

The Vindalands
- The Vindalands is a plane of endless skies filled with billowing clouds and is symbolized by the Yellow Orb. There is no land save for the upturned mountains that float in the skies like lily-pads on water. Creatures that are native to Vindalands are all capable of flight and include the majestic whalecrows and the vicious Piranhaguls. Vinda is the goddess of the Vindalands, she is often seen as a tall, slight woman with beautiful butterfly wings whose color changes with her mood. She is the goddess of freedom and travelers.

The Gwydlands
- The Gwydlands is comprised of a single massive primordial forest and is symbolized by the Green Orb. The Gwydlands is blanketed by a thick rain forest inhabited by thousands of mythical creatures including, Wyverns, Dryads, chimeras, griffins and goblins. The forest is a very dangerous place and is constantly changing at the whims of its God '“ Gwydane. He is often seen as a Satyr, roaming his forest with a large pink flute. He is the God of the wild lands, beasts and forests.

The Erdalands
- The Erdalands is an scorching desert that has no end, it is symbolized by the Brown Orb. The Erdalands is covered by an endless sea of shifting sands and dunes. Water is non-existent on the surface and can only be found below the ground, away from the baking heat. Only subterranean animals truly thrive, the most vivacious include the moleshark, dire scorpions and jackalbats. The God of the Erdalands is Erdan who is most often seen as either a colossal Basilisk or an old, withered man riding a camel. Erdan is the god of listlessness, sculpture, metal and poison.

Gibbering Mouther

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 06:06:28 PM »

Just have a couple questions.

1.) What does one need to sacrifice in order to travel from one of the planes to Aeolond?

2.) Besides the dryads and goblins of the gwydlands are there any other humanoid inhabitants of the planes? (Not counting gods in human form or undead)

For the Emperor!
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 10:14:11 PM »

XXsiriusXX

Just have a couple questions.

1.) What does one need to sacrifice in order to travel from one of the planes to Aeolond?

2.) Besides the dryads and goblins of the gwydlands are there any other humanoid inhabitants of the planes? (Not counting gods)

1.) It varies by plane, nothing too serious or devious, save Throslands (for obvious reasons). To enter the Gwydlands one must offer a large woodland creature (such as a deer, a wolf, etc.) so that it's spirit may re-join the great primordial forest; for the Fyrlands, one must offer a well crafted weapon such as a warmace or a greatsword to Fyr's great armory; for the Lehtlands one must offer a written story of one's heroics and good deeds so that it may be added to Lehta's great libary.

As you can see these objects are fairly mundane. The real trick is finding a proper ritual circle. Long story short, different ritual circles are needed to travel to different planes depending on the time of the year and how close the accompanying Orb is to it's zenith in the sky. For this reason, travel to the Lehtlands and the Throslands is simple (since they are associated with the sun and moon (respectfully) and are thus at their zenith once per day.  The other Orbs only reach their zenith once every 5 months. To travel to a plane when its orb is not at its zenith requires not only a double offering and a totally different ritual circle but also an offering to the orb that is currently at its zenith (or closest to it).

2.) There are many sentient races in the planes, not just the Satyrs, Dryads and Goblins of the Gwydlands. in the Wodorlands the Watalfs are common, they are also the race Wodora sent to Aeolond. The Ankyr of the Fyrlands are exceptionally tall humanoids with full beards that behave like a heat-less flame, they too were sent to Aeolond (by Fyr) and tend to congregate in Castel, near the last everburning mountain left in Aeolond.

As for others, I'm still trying to decide how derivative I want to go, i.e. if want to include common fantasy races like Orcs and Halflings or forge my own path. smile

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: