Ads

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Kamlaga and the Murkmire  (Read 6146 times)
For the Emperor!
Flumph

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2008, 06:09:12 PM »

Kamalga and the Murkmire [/size]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Primer

The history of Kamalga began with the first Human settlers, who came to the continent over 1000 years ago from the Deep Domain of Rhea. The first humans, often refered to as the Pious, were foreigners in a foreign land; a land where great trees whispered to each other, mighty Orcs roamed the vast jungles and ignoble Trolls dabbled with magic beyond comprehension.

The Pious came to Kamlaga by word of Sant James, Emissary of the Goddess Amala. The Pious wandered the Deep Domains for some 60 years before finding Amala's gift '“ the only land on the whole of Kamalga not covered by the Murkmire. It was on this virgin land that the races of men '“ masters of steel and war '“ crafted a new nation, unlike those that they had left behind.

Unfortunately for the races of Men, the Murkmire forest was (and remains) nigh impossible to clear; farmers would work from dawn till dusk clearing land, only to find a fully grown forest when the morn came. And such was men's plight for two hundred years. And thus, man was restricted to Amala's gift.

From a distant Deep Domain came the forces of Baazra; thousands of hideously grotesque fire creatures spewed forth from five infernal portals. The enemy burned the Murkmire to cinders, and used magic unknown to seal the forest beyond the great ashen walls. The enemy soon turned its eye from forest, to inhabitants and began a systematic extermination of all life.

With their intent obvious, Men and Orc and Troll, made unlikely allies waged a war for survival, a war for life, a war for freedom. After many years of defeat, the unlikely allies discovered a means to shut the infernal portals, thanks in part to Trollish Magic and Human guile. When all five portals had been shut, only the great Azer Horde remained, held up in their great fortress named for their Phoenix God '“ Ardora.

And there they sat for three long years, while the unlikely allies laid siege. When finally, the great flaming walls had been extinguished, only horrid sights of beardless Azer, made weak by the siege, welcomed them. The leader of the Azer, held up in the Fortress' inner keep, offered peace, to which the unlikely allies quickly agreed.

With the enemy defeated, the allies soon fractured on racial lines, and went their separate ways. Men forged a new Kingdom in the newly cleared lands of the north; the Trolls wandered back into the forests and to the islands of the south; the Orcs, as with the trolls, retreated into the familiarity of the forest, though their homeland had been sacrificed to close the first Infernal Portal.

The war ended some 9 years ago. Life in the south returned to normal, with Troll, Goblin and Man waging war with Man. In the north a new destiny is being forged, it is hoped that destiny will be less bloody than that of the South. And stuck between lie the Azers of Corcera, trapped in a foreign land'¦

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Explanation of certain things:

This is the setting and discussion thread for the second attempt to codify my setting - Kamalga and the Murkmire. Right now the world is in 'rough draft' mode and I'm looking for real, gritty feed back to make the setting better. Some things to note, this setting is actually an amalgamation of my first 6 one-shot campaigns as well as another setting called Karasend and a second called Hickory. This world is living and breathing as my players have adventured in parts of the world and (hopefully) will continue to do so following a different campaign I am currently running. Many of the important figures are or were PCs at one time or another and many of the place names, especially in Galtara, are named after, for or drew their inspiration from player characters. The world will feel slightly (some would say needlessly) generic. I can't really help that as I was an inexperienced DM in my early years are relied heavily on WotC inspired fluff. Further, this world is intended be my 'fall back' world where I don't need to explain a ton of new concepts to players to 'get them into it.' That's not to say Kamalga is not with out its own unique flavor and fun, I'm just warning you about some of the blatant generalities you may or may not encounter.

At any rate, this is here is what I have for the setting currently written down (trust me there's more up in my head, loads more but everyone needs to start some where). [/size]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally, any one who posts in this thread with any comments, concerns, criticisms or compliments is entitled and encouraged to take this Setting Badge:

Premade Image Link for your convenience:  
Code:
[url=http://www.thecbg.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?58408.0] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/RHO1/Bips/Amalga.gif[/img] [/url]
[/size]
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 09:39:06 PM by Elemental_Elf » Logged

For the Emperor!
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 06:12:17 PM »

The Kingdoms, Duchies, Empires and Nations of Kamalga
[/b]

'¢   The Kingdom of Galtara is the oldest extant nation on the face of Kamalga, having been founded in -934. Galtara is also the strongest and most well organized of all the nations on Kamalga. It is, however, in a state of decline. Daily it looses land and prestige to the younger, more vibrant nations that surround it. King Margath IV has brought stability to the Kingdom's ever shrinking borders but this is a mere stop gap. The Kingdom is with out allies and confronted with enemies on all sides. Only a string of mighty warrior Kings have prevented the fall of this nation.

'¢   The Duchy of Newland is a rising star of the south. In a period of just 20 years the Kingdom has expanded from a small port town to a regional power. It has taken land away from every nation that borders the Newland Sea, including Brazel's Empire, a feat that has not occurred since the Dragon's arrival some 300 years ago. The Newlandic Navy is the largest in the whole of Kamalga, and the Duchy has used it to further its own ends, especially in forcing commerce with the Acera.

'¢   The Kingdom of Sunhand was founded by 3 aristocratic families who were upset with Galtara's lack of funding and support to counter the growing threat of Dagdam, Empire of the Trolls. The Kingdom officially gained its independence in -304BW however it had been de facto independent for nearly 50 years prior. The Kingdom has experienced a waxing and a waning period, its fortunes tied to the behavior of Dagdam.

'¢   The Republic of Aubidai is the only true Republic in the whole of Kalalga. It is the second oldest nation, having been founded in -867BW. The Republic is ruled by a Chancellor, who is the eldest and most respected member of the Aubidai Senate.  The Republic has lost much of its territory to the expansionist imperialism of Newland. The two have waged 4 wars, each a loss for the Republic. Some say that the Republic is doomed to be subsumed into the Duchy of Newland.

'¢   Khazaki is the beleaguered nation of the Old Elves. The nation once spread all the way north to what is now North Austritaine, Lupica but that was before the Azer invaded. Khazaki is a nation with no cities and no towns, the Old Elves are nomadic.  However, the Acera of Corcera have waged an unsuccessful war to conquer the Khazaks and learn of their ancient magic. Both Sunhand and Galtara wage a war by proxy by supporting the Elves in every way they can, for the nations of Man fear the power of an unchecked Corcera.

'¢   The Duchy of Rifa was founded following the Azer Wars and was to be the splendid new homeland for all Elves whether they were High, Old or Half. The The Duchy has not completely lived up to its lofty ideals, as the Old Elves linger in the Khazaks and Half-Elves are discriminated against. Yet the Duchy has thrived, becoming a beacon of hope for the North.

'¢   The Kingdom of Lupica is one of the youngest nations in Kamalga. It was founded in 10AW, a mere day following the end of the Azer Wars. The Kingdom is more of a military alliance between the 6 Counties, with the King serving a set term and only possessing direct control over the Royal Army. For all intents and purposes the Kingdom is simply 6 independent nations. The strongest of the 6 is Westbridge, blessed with fertile lands and a booming population. The weakest would be Normark, cursed with cold winters, rocky soil and faced with constant threats from the Orcwoods.

'¢   The Kingdom of Corcera is the nation of those Azers left behind when the last Infernal Portal was close shut by the Northern Alliance. The Azer split into two peoples '“ Aucers and Corcers. The Aucers believed that since they were trapped, it was better to go out and live in peace with their new neighbors, forge a new destiny. The Corcers believed differently and continued the old ways. In a brief civil war, the Aucers were expelled. Few truly know the internal mechanations of the Empire, other than it is ruled by a Pope-like figure known as the Azersi. The land of Corcera is left fallow, the Corcers preferring to live in underground Keeps.  

CR 14
Owlbear

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 06:19:12 PM »

What is the murkmire? is it a forest or a swamp of some sort?

a.k.a. gnomish cheetos

For the Emperor!
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 06:24:33 PM »

Gnomish Cheetos

What is the murkmire? is it a forest or a swamp of some sort?

In places the Murkmire is a swamp in others a boreal forest, in others a jungle. For the most part, however, the Murkmire is a bog infested jungle completely inhospitable to the lifeways of Men (at least of this setting). The life that exists in the murkmire would not be out of place in the jungles of South America.

CR 14
Owlbear

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 06:25:32 PM »

how did people survive before they found the gift?

a.k.a. gnomish cheetos

SilvercatMoonpaw
Modron

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 06:41:32 PM »

So the Azer sit between Lapica and pretty much everyone else, barring sea routes.  What aspects of the setting does this effect?

I'm a muck-levelist, I like to see things from the bottom.

"No matter where you go, you will find stupid people."

Planar Grazer
Yrthak

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 06:47:14 PM »

So far the brief history of the Murkmire and Kamalga seem loosely interwoven.

A few questions concerning the Azers, do the Corcers try and open another infernal portal? Will the infernal forces try and open more portals? Is it even possible?

The map is fantastic, really quite good.  Now do the Orcs even have problems with Lupica? And how come the king of Lupica doesn't stage a coup and install himself as military dictator? He has the means, if hes especially charismatic would a king try and conquer the other five states for his home state?

Who is Brazel? He has one of the largest pieces of land, yet I don't believe he's mentioned. All those isolated bits of land that belong to Galtara, I would imagine they would be swallowed up soon by other countries.

Dagdam and the Orcwoods are part of the Murkmire as far as I can tell. Are their special trees in the murkmire that has unique properties? Something that would be good for building ships?

I always take 20
Administrator
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 07:35:25 PM »

Very interesting, and yes I too love the map. Question though, how did newland get so powerful so fast? Do they have easy access to fertile land? Is there other rich resources to be found there (metal and wood for example)? Or did they just get lucky?

Also who exactly is Amala, obviously a goddess, but of what? How directly does she interact with her people (we see that she sends word through prophets, but what else)?

From out the wild wood comes the call...
Flumph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 09:17:34 PM »

I get the impression that Amala is the goddess of a monotheistic religion.  Is this the case?  Do the other races have different releigious beliefs that "Pious" men?  It seems the Azer have Ardora as their own deity.  Or are Amala and Ardora part of a larger pantheon?  How does religion play into your world?  Are there holy wars, jihads, crusades?  Does it affect how governments operate?  Does it affect trade?  What is religion founded on?  Do the gods assert their presence or stay out of worldly affairs?  How does this affect piety?

Brother Guillotine of Loving Wisdom
My Campaigns:
Discuss Avayevnon here at the New Discussion Thread
Discuss Cad Goleor here: Cad Goleor

Bardistry Wands on Etsy

Review Badges:

Gibbering Mouther

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 10:18:42 PM »

This is just my first impression from the post and the map, but there seems to me to be a problem with Galtara and Sunhand, to wit, that Sunhand now controls Galtara's access to the Castleberry Sea.  Given the penchant of pre-modern civilizations towards taxes and tarrifs, it would seem that if Galtara has any interest in trade with the Eastern parts of Lupica, with the Orcs, the Duchy of Rifa, or really even the Eastern parts of Corcera (though why would they? But while I'm at it, is Corcera an Empire or a Kingdom?) then they pretty much have to kiss Sunhand's ass.

So the Murkmire has recovered from the great burn?

"All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare."
Visit my world, Calisenthe, on the wiki!

Gibbering Mouther

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 10:24:56 PM »

Also -- I really like the notion of proxy wars.  It gives your political set-up instant credibility just to have the concept deployed in an active, interesting way.  It seems dangerous, though, for Sunhand to be doing any of this proxy business, because they actually share a border with the people they are proxy-fighting.  That's possible, but always a dicey proposition.

Question: Do the Azers have any allies at all?  It sounds like maybe Newland might be willing to work with them.  What do the other parties think of this?

I'm just tossing out questions as I think of them.  They aren't meant to be particularly insightful or penetrating, and no doubt you've got answers to most of them already.  Keep up the good work!

"All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare."
Visit my world, Calisenthe, on the wiki!

For the Emperor!
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 10:31:29 PM »

First off let me thank all of you for your fast replies! I really appreciate it!

SilvercatMoonpaw

So the Azer sit between Lapica and pretty much everyone else, barring sea routes.  What aspects of the setting does this effect?

In many ways, the Azers of Corcera segregate the North from the South. The North, being the youngest of all the areas, is thus blessed and cursed. It is blessed because the imperious nature of Men would most likely rip the north a sunder with near constant war. The Azer thus serve as a buffer state. However with good comes the bad. The Azer are not entirely benign, though their efforts have been focused on conquering the Khazaks as of late, a policy that could change. Further, the Azer block much of the sea route between the South and the North (never let your enemies have easy contact, especially when they surround you). The Azer navy tends to focus on small, maneuverable ships that can easily patrol and strike at any incoming vessels. The only nation to be allowed passage around Corcera on the Eastern Coast has been Newland but even then it's only a small number of ships. Another problem is that Sunhand is not a naval super power by any stretch of the term, which further segregates the north along the Castleberry Sea.

Gnomish Cheetos

how did people survive before they found the gift?

I shall bridge this question into answering some basic questions you may have concerning Deep Domains. Deep Domains are much like Planes in other settings in that they are massive other worldly places. In my setting, there are 6 Deep Domains, each corresponding to 1 of the 6 Elements (Earth, Fire, Meta, Water, Wind & Wood). Think of each of these as large discs, attached to each of these discs are smaller discs that represent the 5 other elements. Thus each Deep Domain is completely separate from the others, in many ways they're separate universes.

The Humans originated on the inner Domain of Rhea. With Amala's guidence, they were able to travel from Rhea, into Il'Kbar (the central disc of this Deep Domain), wandered around the desert for 50 or so years (trading with the Ogres and Luwan who lived there) until discovering the means to enter Kamalga and finally wading throiugh the Murkmire until they found Amala's Gift (which is just about everything under Corcera).

I hope that answers your question, if not I can elaborate smile

Llum

So far the brief history of the Murkmire and Kamalga seem loosely interwoven.

Well in many ways the Murkmire is an enigma. Its a place of dark mystical energy and is little explored. Humans just didn't travel into the Mire because it was viewed as useless. However, the Eastern portion of the Murkmire, the part now claimed by Corcera, Lupica and Rifa was the most well known. As I stated, the Elves lived there, and oten had human companions. But for the most part the Murkmire is, as I said, an engima - a place of Adventure.

Llum

A few questions concerning the Azers, do the Corcers try and open another infernal portal? Will the infernal forces try and open more portals? Is it even possible?

The reason they have not opened another infernal portal (because believe you me, if they could they would have already) is that the Azer originate from a different Deep Domain. The only way to travel between the two is when two 'discs' touch each other, which rarely occurs. It is unknown when the next time the discs will touch but it is a constant nagging fear for the non-Azers.

Llum

The map is fantastic, really quite good.

Thank you for the comment on the map. Its certainly one of my favorites and I'm glad to hear others like it as well! smile

Llum

Now do the Orcs even have problems with Lupica?

As for the Orcs... yes and no. They certainly don't care for the un-forested land but they do not appreciate the military might of Lupica right next door. Even still, there are greater concerns for the Orcs, in that a large swath of their land was merged with a portion of a Deep Plane. It caused the whole area inside the commingled section to advance in time by 100 years. It is a barren wasteland inhabited by Dinosaurs and Orcs who have lost their way. The Orcs of Kamlaga are desperately searching for a means to either close the commingled area or revert the land to the way it was prior to the accident.

Llum

And how come the king of Lupica doesn't stage a coup and install himself as military dictator? He has the means, if hes especially charismatic would a king try and conquer the other five states for his home state?

Well that has alot to do with the inner politics of Lupica. The King of Lupica is the head of the Royal Army but the royal army is more a large strike force of highly trained men, spread too thinly across the country than a star wars style Grand Army of the Republic. Each Count is allowed to put forward a single person as their choice for the new king (when the old one either dies or is removed from office).

Thus far the 4 Kings have all been the 'champions' of Halcaster (giving Halcaster Counts some prestige amongst the other Counties). The first 2 Kings died in office, the third King went mad shortly after his coronation and ran off into the Orc Woods with a chest full of platinum pieces (a prize many adventurers seek). The Fourth King prefers the pleasures of the flesh to war. Thus the Counties remain relatively independent because none of the Kins have been truly effective in their post.

Llum

Who is Brazel? He has one of the largest pieces of land, yet I don't believe he's mentioned. All those isolated bits of land that belong to Galtara, I would imagine they would be swallowed up soon by other countries.

That is a lengthy topic that I don't have the time (right now) to bridge. The short of it is this: Brazel is a Black Dragon, cast out of the Draconic Pantheon, native to the inner Domain or Qiansu. As all Dragons who leave the heavens, they are cast down to Il'Kabr (the main inner Domain) in mortal form. He wandered listlessly around the deserts of il'Kabr before discovering a means of entering Kamlaga, some 300 years ago. Brazel discovered the Sarkan Coast, a wild and lightly populated area of Kamalga.

From there he kidnapped several Orcs and mutated them though arcane and draconic magics until he birthed a new creature '“ the Goblin. He soon bred an army of Goblins and invaded Galtara. Initially Galtara was in the midst of a civil war, so Brazel's gains were unpresidented. However, once the Galtaran King Margath II realized the threat Brzel posed, he mustered his forces for war. It is said Margath and Brazel dueled one another, with Margath slicing off Brazel's Left arm. Defeated, the dragon retreated to the mountains, plotting his revenge.

Brazel again invaded some 30 years ago, this time with an even larger army and several Golems of the Mithril variety. King Margath IV along with a loyal band of retainers and an the Galtaran Blue Army met Brazel in Atryd. The two armies clashed, with the King and his retainers narrowly defeating the Golems. When faced with such opposition, Brazel again retreated.

It should be noted that it was at this time that one of King Margath IV's retainers, one Marshal Duma, '˜saw the light' and declared himself an Emissary of Amala. Such talk was blasphemy and the King had no choice but to banish Duma (for the King had not the heart to execute him). Marshal Duma then traveled to what came to be known as Marshal City and begat the Duchy of Newland.

Llum

Dagdam and the Orcwoods are part of the Murkmire as far as I can tell. Are their special trees in the murkmire that has unique properties? Something that would be good for building ships?

The Orcwoods and Dogdam are well with in the borders of the Murkmire. Funny you should mention 'special trees' for that is what the Orcs and Trolls worship. Through out the forest there are special spirit trees that are believed to house a portion of the Earth Mother's soul. These trees are ancient, older than any other living thing on Kamalga. These Trees are said to whisper earthly truisms to those that have heart to heed their words.

Beyond those spirit trees, there are many fine trees with which to construct any manner of things, including ships. The Humans or Sunhand are well known to (in the eyes of the Trolls) raid the forest for wood, which is a point of contention between the two nations.

Nomadic

Very interesting, and yes I too love the map.

Thank you!

Nomadic

Question though, how did newland get so powerful so fast? Do they have easy access to fertile land? Is there other rich resources to be found there (metal and wood for example)? Or did they just get lucky?

Newland rapidly rose in power because of 3 factors - 1. Marshal Duma is an amazing tactician, one of the brightest minds of his generation. 2. Newland's main island is abundantly fertile and was sparsly populated until Duma arrived. He greatly encouraged immigration and ruled his people with a light touch (and very low taxes). 3. The last 30 years have literally changed the entire face of the world. Galtara, Sunhand and Aubidai have all looked north to counter the invasion of the Azer, all the while Marshal Duma spread out and conquered new lands. By war's end, the entire make up of the Newland Sea had decisively shifted in favor of the Duchy. Further, Newland is a country that does not turn its back on people and nations because of past ills. In fact, Newlandic policy has been about openness, especially with Corcera, with whom Newland hopes to gain a powerful ally, one shadows Newlandic strength.

Nomadic

Also who exactly is Amala, obviously a goddess, but of what? How directly does she interact with her people (we see that she sends word through prophets, but what else)?

Amala is one of the few deities not bound to a particular 'disc.' Because of this she is no where near as powerful as other 'bound' Gods. She is a Goddess of hope, compassion, love and fraternity. She is also a Goddess of wrath and war, when opposed by tyrants. Her church is led by an Osai, who commands the faithful from Athican City. Her only true creeds are to love thy neighbor, follow secular laws, spread her faith and, most importantly, hold her as the only true Goddess. This last fact is a reason why the faith has trouble penetrating into Orc and Troll cultures, as they are decidedly pantheistic.

EDIT: Cool! New posts! Let me take a breather and I'll head back in to answer the new questions smile

I always take 20
Administrator
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 11:14:24 PM »

Ok I absolutely love your idea of rotating discs aligning so that you can only enter a plain at a certain time. I might just steal that tongue

For the Emperor!
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 11:22:13 PM »

Seraphine_Harmonium

I get the impression that Amala is the goddess of a monotheistic religion.  Is this the case?  Do the other races have different releigious beliefs that "Pious" men?  It seems the Azer have Ardora as their own deity.  Or are Amala and Ardora part of a larger pantheon?  How does religion play into your world?  Are there holy wars, jihads, crusades?  Does it affect how governments operate?  Does it affect trade?  What is religion founded on?  Do the gods assert their presence or stay out of worldly affairs?  How does this affect piety?

This is an interesting and wholly deep series of questions. Amala is a mono-theistic religion. She is a Goddess who wishes for nothing except peace and for all mortals to hear her call and worship her. She is not evil by any stretch but her worshipers do commit heinous acts in her name. Unlike 'bound' Gods, Amala does not possess the power to manifest destructive powers, she can only interfere in the world of Mortals with words and ideas. Holy Wars were wholly uncommon, if not unheard of, in Kamalga prior to the Azer's invasion. Following their invasion, many concepts such as Crusades (especially against the 'unclean Trolls' (as the Sunhandese say) as well as against the Azer (for obvious reasons).

Ardora is part of a different pantheon, a Pantheon bound to Deep Domain of Baraza. The Phoenix God has no power to contact or advice the Azers. However, this is only known to the higher ups in the Corceran government. The Azersi puts out a public image of hearing Ardora's will.

As stated the Trolls and Orcs worship the Earth Mother, who is said to have died in times immemorial to birth the land of Kamalga. Her will is heard through wizened old Trees, who whisper truisms to those that would head their words. They have no concept of a true religion (in the eyes of Man and Azer) however and thusly has no organization beyond local Shamans.

The interesting Pantheon, if you can call it that, would be the Pantheon of Nargosa. nargosa was another Dragon that was banished from the heavens, just as Brazel was. However, where Brazel is wholly evil, Nargosa was wholly Good. He was a champion of the poor, the weak, the down trodden and the voiceless masses. Nargosa had many lovers, many of whom birthed sons, who took up arms and joined their father on his quests. Nargosa was eventually allowed to return to the Heavens, prior to leaving, he bequeethed great power on many of his children in the hopes that they would continue his cause. This Pantheon is referred to as 'Aurixia,' named after the first born child of the Gold Dragon, who single-handedly prevented a second invasion by Brazel. The Champions of Aurixia possess near Divine powers and often meddle in mortal affairs.

Amala is both pleased and upset with Nargoas and his Aurixian Pantheon. On the one hand, Aurxia keeps Brazel in check and helps those that need help. However, many of the people the Aurxians aid worship them as Gods. Amala and Aurxia have a contentious relationship at best. In the South, Aurixia is not much seen but often heard. Coversely, in the North, Aurixia is openly worshiped, especially in Halcaster and South Austritaine (worship of Aurixia is what caused the split between north and south Austritaine).

So to answer your questions, Religion matters. smile

Acrimone

This is just my first impression from the post and the map, but there seems to me to be a problem with Galtara and Sunhand, to wit, that Sunhand now controls Galtara's access to the Castleberry Sea.  Given the penchant of pre-modern civilizations towards taxes and tarrifs, it would seem that if Galtara has any interest in trade with the Eastern parts of Lupica, with the Orcs, the Duchy of Rifa, or really even the Eastern parts of Corcera (though why would they? But while I'm at it, is Corcera an Empire or a Kingdom?) then they pretty much have to kiss Sunhand's ass.

That is the exact reason Galtara fought so hard to keep Sunhand in the fold, as it were. Access to the Castleberry sea, and its bountiful harvest of Castleberries (small cherry like fruit that is rich in flavor and nutrition) is of vital importance to all nations of the south. To loose access was a death throw for Galtara that hastened its decline. Of the Ships that do trade, and Sunhand does trade some (especially with the small number of human slave communities that exist on the coast), only a few are truly tariff-ed on the Corceran side. All Corceran commerce that makes its way to Sunhand (the bulk of which are bluey-purple Castleberries unique to the coasts of Corcera) is heavily tariff-ed, not only to protect local growers but to reap the benefits of a profitable trade.

Much of the Trade with Lupica is cursed in that the underpayed Corceran captains seize it, then load it on to ships bound for Sunhand and harvest the massive profits.

Corcera is an Empire, in that that is the closest approximation of the Azer word in the tongues of Men. A more accurate translation might be 'Land by which the Azersi rules in the name of Ardora and exercises complete secular control to expand the land in his name.'

Acrimone

So the Murkmire has recovered from the great burn?

Since we are only 19 years from the Great Burn, none can say. However, it is hoped that the Murkmire has been charred away for good.

Acrimone

Also -- I really like the notion of proxy wars.  It gives your political set-up instant credibility just to have the concept deployed in an active, interesting way.  It seems dangerous, though, for Sunhand to be doing any of this proxy business, because they actually share a border with the people they are proxy-fighting.  That's possible, but always a dicey proposition.

Its a dangerous & dicey prospect but Sunhand has little else it can do. It can not challenge the might of Corcera alone (hell it can barely contain the Trolls of Dagdam) but the King of Sunhand never the less, feels some sort of sympathy for the Elves and their plight and wishes to support them (and with the hope that the Elves hold Corcera's attention).

Acrimone

Question: Do the Azers have any allies at all?  It sounds like maybe Newland might be willing to work with them.  What do the other parties think of this?

The Azers are allied, in a sense, with Newland. Both countries are expressionistic and share an mutual enemy in the form of Galtara. The Enemy of My Enemy is My Friend, as the saying goes. That is not to say that the two countries explicitly trust one another, that is hardly the case but never the less their alliance strengthens every day.

Acrimone

I'm just tossing out questions as I think of them.  They aren't meant to be particularly insightful or penetrating, and no doubt you've got answers to most of them already.  Keep up the good work!

I love questions, any and all are helpful! Please, ask more of them! They help me to refine my product and thinking so that I can present a quality product to everyone once I create the true Setting Thread smile

Thank you, all of you for your help!

For the Emperor!
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 11:24:06 PM »

Nomadic

Ok I absolutely love your idea of rotating discs aligning so that you can only enter a plain at a certain time. I might just steal that tongue

Feel free. If my ideas inspire other people to write about great things then I have accomplished something almost, if not more, meaningful than my own ideas.

EDIT: If any of you want me to look at your settings, please indicate which setting you would like looked at. Baring that, I will simply shoot for the first of your settings in your sig smile

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: