Ads

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 125
  Print  
Author Topic: The Republic Reborn  (Read 185590 times)
Planar Grazer
Yrthak

View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: February 13, 2013, 05:17:54 AM »

Orders

-Go with the Greeks and bring my troops and anyone who is willing to be under my command with me.
-Try and acquire some crossbows and crossbowmen for my employ, willing to spend WP

Modron

View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: February 13, 2013, 09:05:47 AM »

Ok gonna post my orders shortly

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: February 13, 2013, 10:23:49 AM »

Inner Council

(OOC:I had been hoping on Colonna's response first, but in the interest of moving things along)

After the survey that I have done regarding the city's defenses and the political situation, I come to the regrettable conclusion that we must keep the militia here in Rome. The popolo recently rioted against the Church and to send them out to defend it so soon, even though the battle is against the hated Normans, would risk too much instability in Rome for too little reward in terms of wealth and favor with the Church, which did not even ask for our assistance. I look forward to campaigning with Calafatus again, but at the moment, the time is not appropriate- the people do not call for the blood of Normans- the people instead call for the blood of the Church--and I will not risk our stability.

The militia will be staying home, but once again, I encourage individual equites and senators who wish to triumph with Senator Calafatus, to accompany him on his endeavours.

Letter to Calafatus

Rome wishes you good success in your endeavours. I have sent around messages and made personal pleas to equites and senators who possess weapons, including several who have the amazing crossbows that I imported several years past, to assist you in your campaign. I have attempted to organize them to meet near Rome's gates and march together to join you in your mission.

You may have heard that Rome recently faced riots that were only put down by the combined efforts of Rome's militia, DeVinti's guard, my guard, and Basile's guard. It is regrettable that Rome is such a tinderbox of dissent recently, but because of that dissent, we fear to send the militia away to help a Church against which they recently rioted.
OOC: as a side note about crossbows- the other crossbows I had (that did not go to De Vinti) ended up in the hands of some equites.

The Holiest of Carp
Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1143 on: February 13, 2013, 02:30:57 PM »

LD

(OOC:I had been hoping on Colonna's response first, but in the interest of moving things along)

Sorry, I must have missed that.

To Consul Manzinni

Consul,

I do not dispute your points, but nevertheless money is desperately needed for the prosecution of this struggle, and given recent history, Rome has not been pulling its weight, as it were, among the cities of the patrimonium.  The Curia has made clear its preference for money over levies, for skilled, mounted, and armored milites are needed more than militia footmen.

In the future we may be able to discuss alternatives to the hospitality tax, which I agree is a rather blunt instrument, but as of this moment I do not see a viable alternative.  My instructions in this matter are quite clear.

Lord Prefect Pietro Colonna

Deadline

Because of last-minute letters and the fact that some people have been a bit pressed for time, I'm going to give everyone another day before the turn is officially closed.  Please try to get all orders and correspondence to me by the end of Thursday, February 14th.

The Clockwork Jungle (wiki | thread)
"The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way." - Marcus Aurelius

Modron

View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: February 14, 2013, 06:42:23 PM »

Orders

• Pay Upkeep for 50 Palatinis [1 WP]

Patrol Path

Starting at de Palazzo de Vinti, cutting east then north on the Via Appia to reach Manzinni's estate and towards the Curia Julia, circling the Capitoline by the east to finally reach la Villa DeRosa and the Palazzo Colonna.
            My Palatinis will be separated in three groups (15-15-20); one with me (20), one (15) doing the path north of the Curia Julia and another (15) doing the south part of the patrol path. The two groups doing the patrol will be accompanied by 2 masnadas each to serve as messengers.

• Investigate the strange stone(s) and markings in the Circus Maximus. If it is important, either because it has financial value or symbolic, -attempt- to hide its discovery from prying eyes and quickly take possession of it. Unless the political ramifications are too intense? Also, if the raining is too hardcore and it becomes somewhat flooded again, put [1 WP] for this project to go smoothly.

• Attend Prefect Colonna's dinner.

• Serve as Magistrate as often as possible. Promise the sued that they might avoid the death penalty (consequence for treason) "and do their Republic a great service" if they divulge who is behind all of this. Those who do divulge interesting information will be held prisoner until the facts are confirmed. (this is about the Conspiracy thing)

• Continue contribution [1 WP] to the Porta Asinaria project from my own wealth.

• Execute drainage tactics in Pontis et Scorteclariorum. Allocate [1 WP] to the efforts.

• Find the most convenient spot along the Aqua Virgo to establish a school, as Rogerius suggested. When the spot is known, check if the Church owns the land (lol?).
            [/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]
            « Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 06:45:09 PM by Pymtein Magnushake » Logged

Kingmaker
            Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
            « Reply #1145 on: February 14, 2013, 08:53:12 PM »

Orders

Determine if there is a need for food among the smallfolk. If there is, donate up to 1 WP in food.

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
            « Reply #1146 on: February 14, 2013, 10:22:51 PM »

I'm good for the turn; Colonna didn't respond in a way that I would need to change orders regarding the sending of the militia. smile If the Pope doesn't want to give us a discount, he doesn't get the militia's help. (Sorry Llum).

The Holiest of Carp
            Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
            « Reply #1147 on: February 15, 2013, 12:25:11 AM »

Alright then!  Orders are now closed - PM me if you missed the deadline or need to correct something.

"The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way." - Marcus Aurelius

The Holiest of Carp
            Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
            « Reply #1148 on: February 23, 2013, 03:20:05 AM »

Anno Domini MCLVII
            Winter has passed into spring…
            Summer in Rome is a time of unbearable heat, when the wealthy flee to country estates and the rest of Rome suffers in the stifling and malarial air.  The peasants must work regardless, mowing hay and weeding their gardens until it is time to harvest winter wheat and rye.  By the end of summer, the grain must be reaped, threshed, winnowed, and milled into flour.  The feasts of the Assumption of Mary and of St. Peter and St. Paul are celebrated in the summer, the latter especially important in Rome, the seat of Peter’s blessed heir.

Our Consuls: Vittorio Manzinni and Hugo De Vinti
            Our Pope: Adrian IV
            Our Prefect: Pietro II Colonna
            Our Rage: Seething [4]

This Season’s Top 5 Popular Issues

1. "We won’t stand for another tyrannical Prefect!"
            2. "The war in Tuscany is crippling us."
            3. "It is time to restore justice in Rome."
            4. "Hurrah for Arnold!  Drive out Boso and the Papists!"
            5. "We don’t trust these foreign Ebreo…"

News from Abroad

Duke István of Hungary has conspired to overthrow his older brother, King Géza II, but was unsuccessful in the attempt and has reportedly fled to the court of Emperor Friedrich “Barbarossa” von Hohenstaufen.  István is married to Maria Komnene, niece of the Greek Emperor Manuel Komnenos, and many suspect a Greek hand in this conspiracy, particularly given that the Hungarian monarch only recently supported a conspiracy to overthrow Manuel (which was similarly unsuccessful).

Pilgrims from the North have said that King Sverker of the Swedes was brutally murdered on his way to church this past Christmas Day.  One of his rivals, Erik Jedvardsson, has seized power.  Though truly a horrifying crime against God and king, it means little to the Romans save as a confirmation of the barbarity of the Northmen.

News of Italy

King William de Hauteville of Sicily has achieved a major diplomatic victory.  Word has reached Rome that in March, the Sicilian army arrived at the Papal city of Benevento.  Massively outnumbered and apparently unaware of the recent Greek landing at Ancona, Pope Hadrian IV and the Papal Curia felt they had no choice but to sue for peace, signing a treaty formally ending the war between the Papacy and the Norman Kingdom of Sicily.  The Pope has recognized William as King of Sicily and revoked his excommunication; in exchange, King William agreed to an annual tribute to the Pope.  For now, the Curia remains in Benevento, but it is expected that they will soon return to Latium.

Meanwhile, the Greek protostrator Alexios Axouch has continued the war in the north, pacifying Marsica and Aprutium and besieging San Germano near Montecassino along with the rebel Norman Count Andrew de Rupecanina.  King William is expected to give battle, though there may still be a chance of a negotiated end to the war, now simplified to the loyalist Normans against the Greeks and rebels.  There is no word from Bari, where the sebastos Kosmas Bariotes presumably still commands the remnants of the original Greek expeditionary force.  While King William no longer camps beneath Bari’s walls, the Normans may have left a force behind to continue the siege.

Barisone II, guidice of Arborea, has renounced his wife Pellegrina de Lacon and married Agalbursa de Cervera, the daughter of the Viscount of Bas.  His new Catalan wife is closely related to the Counts of Barcelona, and the marriage seals an alliance between Arborea and Barcelona, who both struggle against the Saracen Emir of Mallorca, Ishaq ibn Muhammad.  The move is likely to alienate Barisone from his fellow giudici, however; the Lacon family is an important one on Sardinia.  Some have speculated that Barisone has longer term plans for this Catalan alliance, and is attempting to build a base of power for himself independent of Pisa, whose Archbishop claims suzerainty over all Sardinia.

The war in Tuscany resumed this season after a winter hiatus, though there were no pitched battles.  The two alliances led by Florence and Siena continued to launch raids on each others’ lands, burning fields and razing villages throughout the valley of the Arno.  Pisa and Lucca have likewise been engaged in skirmishes and raids on each others’ territory.  Much of Tuscany has become a no-man’s land, wasted by pillaging and haunted by bandits and mercenaries that have preyed on merchants and even pilgrims all along the Via Francigena.

News of Latium

A naval action was reported off the coast of Civitavecchia.  It appears that an armed galley attempted to chase down a Pisan cargo ship traveling south, but could not catch up with it in time due to unfavorable winds and broke off the attack when the Pisan naval force at Civitavecchia left harbor to respond.  The Pisans have claimed that the Genoese were responsible, but the ship flew no standard and no prisoners were taken who could confirm its identity.

Sora, a Norman-controlled town just east of the borders of the patrimonium, has surrendered to a joint Greek and Roman force.  The Bishop of Sora is said to have interceded on behalf of his city and convinced the Roman commander, Fortis Calafatus, not to sack it.  A Greek garrison now holds Rocca Sorella which overlooks the city.

News of Rome

The rains of winter continued through much of spring, though not as heavily – while the weather did some hamper rebuilding efforts, not much new damage was sustained.  Still, the roads of Rome were particularly muddy through May, making travel both in the city and in the Roman contado particularly miserable.

This year’s pilgrimage season was disappointing, and it can be largely attributed to the continued lawlessness and disorder in Tuscany, which still seethes with the conflict between the opposing alliances of the Florentine and Sienese.  Stories were told of pilgrims on the Via Francigena being robbed and even abducted, and though the Templar houses and other way stations on the route did their best to make the passage safe, they could not patrol the roads, and nobody else in Tuscany seems to have made much of an effort.  Still, the pilgrimage was not nearly as disastrous as the spring of the interdict two years ago.  It seems that a significant number of the wealthier class of pilgrims, aware of the Tuscan war, chose to travel by ship from Pisa or Marseille, arriving in Civitavecchia or directly in Rome.  While most pilgrims cannot afford such passage, the pilgrims who can are also the pilgrims who spend the most whilst in Rome.

The Senate authorized the trial of several dozen suspected conspirators to go forward this season, but most did not take place – upon being offered a reprieve from execution, many of the prisoners confessed, and the entire plot was soon unraveled.  The conspiracy appears to have been hatched by a number of middle-class artisans along with – surprisingly – a merchant in the equestrian order named Pandolfo Cassi who, it appears, offered the conspirators his assistance because he had illegally gained a large amount of ecclesiastical property and presumably wished to hide this matter from the new prefect.  The eques paid off a number of blacksmiths to forge weapons, which the conspirators would use to storm the prefect’s palazzo and murder him; other conspirators intended to stir up a riot a few hours before hand as a distraction, allowing the murderers to strike while the Senate and its troops were distracted.  Though Cassi and the blacksmiths seem to have been motivated solely by greed, most of the common conspirators were hard-line anti-Papists who frequented Wetzel’s sermons and were active in local “confessionals.”  No confessions have linked Wetzel himself to the conspiracy, though he has preached quite openly against the prefect and called for his “removal.”  Cassi himself fled the city shortly after the riot last season, and the Senate was sent into an uproar when, just a few days ago, a senator revealed that he had received information that Cassi had taken refuge at Tivoli, of all places.

The praefectus urbi Pietro II Colonna, having weathered his first few seasons as Rome’s first prefect since 1144, held an exclusive banquet for a number of Rome’s senatorial elite on Easter Monday.  Aside from most of the consiliarii, Patrician Giordano Pierleone was also present.  Though the presence of the prefect continues to be unpopular, riots have been small and sporadic this season; the suppression of last season’s conspiracy seems to have temporarily dampened the strongest anti-Papal sentiment, or at least driven it underground.

Lord Prefect Pietro II Colonna has begun a renovation of his famed palazzo.  It is believed that, following the recent riots and conspiracies against him, the Prefect thought it proper to enhance the security of his impressive yet somewhat vulnerable Roman estate.

Finances

Treasury: 11 WP

State Projects:
            • Porta Asinaria Repair [9/10]

Income: 2 WP
            • Duty, Patrician Pierleone: 1 WP
            • Papal Stipend: 1 WP

Expenditures: 0 WP

Senatorial Inquests

Senators that requested information or launched endeavors have the results of their efforts listed here.  This information is private, but you may certainly choose to share it with the Senate.

Update

Maps updated (actually, just the Italy map).  In addition, I have several new units to add to the Unit Library, but I won't have access to my computer with my unit icons on it for a few days, so that will have to wait.  As usual, let me know if I've missed anything or if I owe you a letter or inquest.
            « Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 05:17:36 AM by Polycarp » Logged

The Holiest of Carp
            Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
            « Reply #1149 on: February 23, 2013, 03:37:02 AM »

In the Senate

The Senate applauds the handling of the conspirators; though some resent that few will be executed because of Consul de Vinti’s amnesty in exchange for information, most recognize that wrapping up the plot was worth it.  The senate, however, is still debating what ought to be done to the conspirators.

The senators are nearly unanimous in calling for a resolution branding Pandolfo Cassi a traitor, and wish to vote immediately on stripping him of his rank and citizenship and seizing whatever property he may have in Rome.  There is also broad support for issuing an ultimatum to Tivoli, threatening war if they do not hand over the man to Rome for justice.

The common conspirators have few friends in the senate; even the self-proclaimed Arnoldists are unwilling to defend their actions, as they hardly wish to be identified as traitors themselves.  Those senators with Arnoldist leanings, however, argue that the animus of the people against the prefect are understandable, and that the Senate should be lenient with them; others insist that everything short of death must be contemplated, and that the conspirators should be stripped of their property and exiled from the city.

A number of senators have also called for the immediate expulsion of Wetzel from the city.  Though no direct link between Wetzel and the conspiracy was established, he is known to have associated with a number of the conspirators; because Wetzel is a foreigner and a non-citizen, he has no legal protection, and could be expelled from Rome without a trial.  A number of the Arnoldists loudly oppose this action, but they are joined by a number of more conservative senators, even equites, who fear that such an action would only cause more violence and unrest.  It is uncertain whether this motion has the votes to pass, but it appears to at least be possible, and may depend on where the consiliarii come down on the matter.

To the Consiliarii

Eminent Senators,

As you are undoubtedly aware, my familial castles of Monte Rotondo and Nomentum have long been cornerstones of the Roman defenses, critical to command of the Via Salaria and the protection of Rome from its local and foreign enemies in centuries past.  It would be preposterous to think that the Pope was not aware of this when he asked the German to topple them during his destructive march through Latium; though I had angered His Holiness by restoring certain properties which were rightfully mine to my own control, my humbling served his obvious second purpose of leaving Rome vulnerable, particularly to his close allies, the Frangipani, who occupy lands very near to mine.

With my own resources I have begun reconstructing these fortresses; the Emperor pulled down my walls, but the stones remain and the foundations are still strong.  I lack, however, the full sum necessary to restore them.  This is why I have written to you, senators, for I believe it is in both of our interests to maintain these important defenses.

I am prepared to swear an oath of loyalty in person before the Senate, to forswear any right or privilege to tax any Roman citizens upon the portion of the Via Salaria that runs through my lands, and to bequeath to the Senate the right to quarter soldiers in either of my castles during times of war.  In exchange, I ask to be recognized as a citizen and eques of Rome, and for [8 WP] to restore my castles to a defensible state.  I recognize that this is not a small sum, but that is what is needed; the Senate is invited to investigate my works now and whenever they please to ensure that their money is well spent.

Signore Niccolo Capocci

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
            « Reply #1150 on: February 23, 2013, 09:53:36 AM »

>>Vassalage is a personal contract; “Rome” cannot be a vassal or a vicarius, and neither can the Senate.

Time to introduce the concept of corporate "personage." laugh Or at least local governmental "personage".

The Holiest of Carp
            Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
            « Reply #1151 on: February 23, 2013, 02:24:18 PM »

Light Dragon

Time to introduce the concept of corporate "personage." laugh Or at least local governmental "personage".

That's sort of what the commune was, or at least attempting to be.  The problem that communes originally attempted to solve was that rural lords tended to tax, rob, and otherwise harass townsfolk and merchants whenever they pleased; the solution was that, while one burgher is not the equal of one knight, a town full of burghers together could promise that any knight which victimized one of them would suffer vengeance from all of them.  Later on, monarchs - no friends of the rural nobility either - realized that it was often in their interests to recognize the corporate identity of the towns, and grant them certain rights in a charter (in part because the towns typically paid the monarch a lot of money for this charter).

That said, however, this corporate identity was differentiated from vassalage.  Vassalage was at its core a military contract between monarch and lord - the lord was granted lands by which he could raise forces to, in turn, support the monarch.  Sometimes towns were required to lend forces to the monarch in their charter, but this was rather rare.  Despite their original purpose as mutual defense organizations, even monarchs never seem to have really liked the idea of commoners fighting and generally did not want to encourage the militarization of communes.

Historically, Italian communes did sometimes establish their own vassals (Pisa would later claim to the Emperor that a guidicati of Sardinia was their rusticus and homo - "our man," in typical feudal language), but more often the towns were hostile to the very idea of vassalage because of its association with the lords that the communes hated so much.  At the height of its power, communal Milan actually banned vassalage, prohibiting Milanese citizens or nobles from swearing fealty to anyone, and then forced the local nobles to relocate to the city where they could be more easily controlled than in their countryside castles.  The communal movement never really sat well with the concept of vassalage, until the end of the communal era when the communes of Italy were almost all taken over by hereditary lordships.

None of this is intended to mean that what you want can't happen - as I've said before, historical innovation in this game is possible.  This is just some more detailed context of the concepts you're dealing with here.
            « Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 02:28:50 PM by Polycarp » Logged

The Holiest of Carp
            Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
            « Reply #1152 on: February 24, 2013, 09:11:07 PM »

Psiloi, Skoutatoi, Latinikon, and Skythikon have been added to the Unit Library.

Orders Due

Orders for the coming season are due Wednesday, March 6th.  Let me know if you will require more time.

Modron

View Profile
            « Reply #1153 on: February 26, 2013, 01:31:08 PM »

Polycarp

The only drawback to the site is that, being in the Campus Martius, there is still the danger of flooding.

Are my draining techniques sufficient to avoid such problems?

Modron

View Profile
            « Reply #1154 on: February 26, 2013, 01:37:44 PM »

At the Senate

Esteemed Senators,
            Questions abound upon your lips as to the actions that are to be taken against the conspirators, as well as against this Pandolfo Cassi person. There is no denying of his treachery, and therefore I present to you a motion to brand him a traitor, strip him of his rank as a citizen and as a member of the equestrian order of Rome, as well as his properties, which shall be returned to their rightful owner; Church or Senate. As for the conspirators, I intend on keeping my promise. All those who divulged actionable information allowing us to identify the real culprits will not be put to death. However, they are not to be released. They should be imprisoned. As for those who didn't cooperate, they should be sentenced to death for their treachery and their insult towards God.

There has been debate in the Greater Council regarding actions to be taken against Tivoli if they do not deliver the man. Surely, Tivoli itself is an insignificant foe, but past rumors come to mind again that they might have forged friendly links with the Faliscan League. It would be unwise to jump headfirst into war before having exhausted all diplomatic efforts in this case.

We have struck hard at the anti-Papist movement, and wait we must before expelling important figures of opposition. Wetzel shall keep his rights to live within the city for now, but further heinous actions on his part, or if he incites others to commit violent acts, shall be punished.

At the Lesser Council

Consiliariis,
            I have surveyed the lands within Rome for the best spot on which to erect this institution of learning. The Baths of Agrippa present a solid base on which we can build it, however the problem of flooding is of concern, and am still gathering information concerning drainage techniques that would allow the school to be untouched by disaster should it happen.

I have faith these techniques will be sufficient, but should they not, other sites along the Aqua Virgo are also interesting to build this school. The only concern therefore would be that there would be no available base, and we would have to use more financial resources to complete the building.

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 125
              Print  

Jump to: