Ads

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 125
  Print  
Author Topic: The Republic Reborn  (Read 195203 times)
Modron

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: July 21, 2012, 08:17:36 PM »

Letter to Nicolo Cappoci

Signore Cappoci,
As you read this, the Emperor's forces, at the request of the Pope, might already have demanded that you submit your lands, or is about to.
Unfortunately there is very little I can do in this matter. You are welcome to come visit me at my palazzo in Rome so that we may discuss further.

Sincerely,
Hugo De Vinti, Consul of the Interior

At the Senate

Esteemed Senators!
It is unfortunate that Roman blood had to be spilled on that day [coronation ceremony]. Indeed it is not everyday that the Roman people is subjugated to the will of others, be they Pope, Emperor or Monk. Their anger was understandable.
Though, understandable or not the Rule of Law, and Order must be kept so that peace may reign.

However, let's observe a moment of silence for those who fell on that fateful day, and pray for their families.

Orders for the Summer of 1155

Consular Duties
Sign the Treaty presented by the Pope and Frederick.

Make available 8 WP from the Treasury for the reimbursment of goods plundered during the ousting of the Pope, a few years back, as was asked for by Hadrianus in his demands.

Continue repairs on the Aqua Virgo. [Use, as a maximum, half of the remaining funds in the Treasury after it has been used to reimburse the Papal Curia]

Start repairs on the Aurelian Walls protecting the Via Asinaria (Porta Asinaria). [Spend 2 WP on the startup, or for the whole operation if it can be done at such a cost]

Allocate 1 WP of my personal wealth to the Treasury.

Flax
Get an update on my Flax industry; the state of the fields, the morale of the workers, impression of this year's production and what can be improved, or even invested upon.

Naples
Have my agent keep up the recruitment efforts, and tell him that he might be able to convince the most skilled Flax workers that with the Pope so near, they would be safe to work the Roman fields. But keep this persuasion method only for the best scouted experts (I mean, he should know the bests now, he's been there YEARS).

Palazzo
Get an update on the progress of my palazzo's embellishment.

Militia
Pay upkeep [1 WP]

Have my heavy infantry (50) train their aim with the crossbows on makeshift targets in my palazzo's yard, in the process establishing a strict code of conduct as to ensure the security in and around the palazzo.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 09:57:52 PM by Pymtein Magnushake » Logged

I always take 20
Administrator
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: July 22, 2012, 05:47:10 PM »

orders

- Pay Calafatus the 3 I owe him

Things I'm waiting on:
- Guy I sent to Flanders about the wool
- Alum from Egypt
- Babby
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 05:45:43 PM by Nomadic » Logged

The Holiest of Carp
Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
« Reply #707 on: July 23, 2012, 01:48:57 AM »

To Consul De Vinti

I appreciate the warning, Consul, though I expected that His Holiness would not pass up this opportunity to strike at my lands with Imperial force.  My retainers and I stand little chance against the army of the Emperor, particularly if no assistance is forthcoming.

If I am forced to leave my lands, which seems likely, I trust the Senate will allow me and my family to take refuge in Rome, for I think it is unlikely that any other place in Latium would receive and protect us.

Signore Niccolo Capocci

The Clockwork Jungle (wiki | thread)
"The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way." - Marcus Aurelius

Modron

View Profile
« Reply #708 on: July 23, 2012, 10:31:08 AM »

On Another Round At the Senate

Senators,
The Curia will now collect most, or the entirety, of the monies that usually flows from religious tourism. Of course, we can hope the Pope will put it to good use, but we cannot be certain of this. And it would be a miracle that he tells us what he intends to do with it, exactly.

For this very reason, we have to find ways to promote the building of establishments that are not run by the Church; such as inns and estates. Furthermore, this again reinforces the point that we must put more effort into the diversification of our economy, lest we want the current state of affairs to remain...

Letter to Consul Calafatus

Consul Calafatus,
The matter I wish to discuss I also wish would remain a secret between the two of us.
The Pope demanded that we cease all use of force against christians. Obviously, this request is a serious hit to our right to redeem what is truly ours.
But now that the Pope can be easily persuaded that any armed force we mount is for the defense of Rome, perhaps it would be a good time to think about organizing a standing army? It would have the full blessing of the Pope.

The reason why this is relevant should be somewhat obvious, especially to you.
I'll let you ponder on this.

In Good Faith,
Hugo De Vinti

I always take 20
Administrator
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #709 on: July 23, 2012, 06:10:22 PM »

Pym the curia will mostly be collecting money that the churches collected before, which we never collected before the pope anyhow.

"who shall possess sole authority over the collection of tithes, tolls on travelers and pilgrims, and the collection of all revenues from ecclesiastical rents and estates."

We never collected tithes, tolls, or revenue from ecclesiastical properties (save for the tribute from tre fontane). We're also getting a 4wp stipend so we lose 1wp from tre fontane and gain 4 from the pope. The money gained from selling goods and services to the pilgrims will still go to the individual Romans providing those goods and services.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 06:12:07 PM by Nomadic » Logged

The Holiest of Carp
Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
« Reply #710 on: July 23, 2012, 06:56:41 PM »

We're also getting a 4wp stipend so we lose 1wp from tre fontane and gain 4 from the pope.

Actually, that stipend is explicitly stated to be 4WP per year, equivalent to 1WP per season, which is the same amount the Senate is currently extracting from Tre Fontane.

"The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way." - Marcus Aurelius

I always take 20
Administrator
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #711 on: July 23, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »

Polycarp

We're also getting a 4wp stipend so we lose 1wp from tre fontane and gain 4 from the pope.

Actually, that stipend is explicitly stated to be 4WP per year, equivalent to 1WP per season, which is the same amount the Senate is currently extracting from Tre Fontane.

I know it's 4wp/year. I thought though that tre fontane was 1wp/year. Good to know though.

The Holiest of Carp
Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
« Reply #712 on: July 23, 2012, 07:15:48 PM »

Nomadic

I know it's 4wp/year. I thought though that tre fontane was 1wp/year. Good to know though.

Well, the mistake is understandable - it was 1 wealth per year under the old wealth system, but became 1WP/season under the new wealth system.

Modron

View Profile
« Reply #713 on: July 23, 2012, 09:51:41 PM »

Jesus Christ

Grengevir
Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #714 on: July 23, 2012, 10:14:05 PM »

Orders

- Invest 2 WP into my fishing/salting business.
- Inquire with my son if he has further considered the matter of his marriage, indicating that I would be more than pleased to find a suitable bride for him.
- Provision my fishers and salt workers with canteens and waterskins. Spend 1 WP on this.
- Begin a search for a suitable source of fresh drinkable water near to the banks of the Tiber in the vicinity of Ostia.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 04:23:16 PM by TheMeanestGuest » Logged

Let the scholar be dragged by the hook.

Modron

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: July 24, 2012, 05:13:08 AM »

I guess the core of what I had to say is still relevant, at least smile Haha

/facepalm

The Holiest of Carp
Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
« Reply #716 on: July 25, 2012, 09:54:11 PM »

This is a quick reminder that you have one more day to submit orders for this turn.  Also, I still need both consuls to decide whether they are going to sign the treaty or not!

Planar Grazer
Yrthak

View Profile
« Reply #717 on: July 26, 2012, 11:25:41 AM »

Orders

-Sign the treaty
-If anyone comes back claiming some of the land I've acquired, stall then tell them to get in line and we can deal with it at some point in the future
-Resend my invite to the leader of Ardea that I will help his daughter find a good marriage
-Pay the Popes stupid fine
-Disband all but 50 of my Honor Guard (for now) keeping all their gear and telling them it is a temporary leave. They will be required in the future.
-Invest any money I can in acquiring more property prioritizing around the Colosseum and near city entrances.

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #718 on: July 26, 2012, 10:17:56 PM »

My orders were a few pages back before the mini-turns.

The Holiest of Carp
Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
« Reply #719 on: July 27, 2012, 12:59:07 AM »

Anno Domini MCLV
Summer has passed into Autumn…
In autumn, laborers take to the farmlands to plow the fields and sow the winter wheat, while in the hills grapes and olives must be picked and pressed.  This is a busy time in Rome, for much work needs to be done between the withering summer and the onset of winter.  The wealthy return to the city from their country estates this season, and the Church prepares for the celebration of All Saints’ Day.  On the water, merchants hurry to complete their routes before the winter storms make the sea treacherous, and citizens watch the Tiber warily, for floods come most often in autumn

Our Consuls: To be determined
Our Pope: Adrian IV
Our Rage: Simmering

This Season’s Top 5 Popular Issues

1. "Bring back Arnoldo!"
2. "Let the Normans and Papists kill one another – the better for us."
3. "We ought to do to Viterbo what we did to Tivoli!"
4. "We won’t stand for another tyrannical Prefect!"
5. "Death to the foreigners!  Down with the barbarian Pope!"

News from Abroad

Rebellion and War!  The barons of the Kingdom of Sicily have long chafed under the consolidation of royal power masterminded by the unpopular ammiratus ammiratorum (“emir of emirs”) Maio of Bari, the most powerful man in the Sicilian royal court.  Now, encouraged by the excommunication of King William de Hauteville by Pope Adrian IV, scores of Norman noblemen have risen up in rebellion against the King of Sicily.  On the mainland, the Counts of Principato, Sangro, Gravina, and Lecce have attacked royal garrisons, and a baronial revolt has exploded in the southern part of the Isle of Sicily itself.  Meanwhile, two exiled Norman noblemen who traveled south with the Emperor, Robert Drengot and Andrew de Rupecanina, have crossed into Sicilian territory and begun raising an army to seize their former lands in the region of Capua.

All this may prove to be merely a distraction, however, to the greatest threat of all.  One of the most powerful Norman lords in mainland Sicily, Robert de Bassonville, Count of Loritello and Conversano, has renounced his allegiance to King William and allied with the Greeks, who have invaded the Apulian coast with a large army and are said to be encouraging more barons to revolt with generous gifts – that is, bribes – of Greek gold.  The Greek army, led by the strategoi Michael Palaiologos and John Doukas and accompanied by Count Robert’s rebels, has already taken several important coastal strongholds, some without any resistance at all – the people of Bari, which was once the capital of the Greek provinces in Italy, seized and imprisoned their own Norman garrison and threw open the city’s gates to their fellow Greeks.

As if all this were not bad enough news for the Sicilian King, it is rumored that he is bedridden with illness, incapable of taking to the field in defense of his endangered kingdom.  Some are convinced that he is close to death.  It is said that Maio of Bari has sent the royal chancellor Asclettin de Catania from Palermo with an army and a fleet to confront the treacherous Count Robert and his Greek allies. [From now on, shaded areas within the Kingdom of Sicily on the map of Italy will be used to represent areas held by rebels against the crown.]

News of Latium

Hail the Emperor! The rex Romanorum et Italiae, Friedrich von Hohenstaufen, has received the Imperial crown from Pope Adrian IV in Rome.  Shortly afterwards, the Germans attacked the holdings of Signore Niccolo Capocci, who had seized the Papal castle of Poteranum during the Romano-Farfan conflict.  Signore Capocci relinquished his conquest and retreated to his castle at Monte Ritondo, but the Emperor would not relent.  Hopelessly outnumbered, Signore Capocci fled to Rome with his family and retainers.  Both his castles, Monte Ritondo and Nomentum, were razed by the Germans.  Unfortunately, the climate of the Tiber valley in July proved less than healthful, and an outbreak of the Roman Fever among the Germans took many lives.  Though many had expected the Emperor to remain and make war against the Sicilians, the Germans subsequently began withdrawing northwards – though not before “reasserting” a few “Imperial rights.”

The Emperor began by forcing Tivoli to pay the fodrum, or “hospitality tax” (purportedly a tax for the upkeep of the Imperial army), and then requiring the Tiburtini to make an oath of fealty to him.  The Pope protested these impositions and was able to annul the oath, but could not prevent the collection of the tax, nor the subsequent collection of the fodrum from the Abbey of Farfa.  From there, the Emperor proceeded to Rieti, which was also forced to pay the fodrum, and thence to Spoleto, whose citizens behaved in a particularly foolish manner.  They refused to pay the Emperor’s tax and demanded that the Emperor pay them for the release of Count Guido Guerra, an Imperial delegate whom the Spoletans had imprisoned.  Frederick began a siege of the city, but did not need to wait very long – the Spoletans tried to attack his camp, but were soundly beaten and chased back to the city with heavy casualties.  The Germans then stormed the walls, plundered the city, and burned everything.  Even the city’s cathedral was torn down.  As a final insult, the Germans seized the relics of Saint Gregory of Spoleto, the city’s beloved patron saint, to be carted back to Germany.  Men across Italy now speak in fearful voices of the fell deeds of Barbarossa – “red-beard” – whose thirst for vengeance is limitless, and whose cruelty surely knows no equal.

[Imperial Knights have been added to the unit library.]

Meanwhile, as the Emperor was besieging Spoleto, Pope Adrian IV traveled to Tusculum.  He apparently purchased the fortress from Signore Pietro Colonna for a grand sum, and bequeathed it to Gionata Tusculani, Count of Tusculum, in exchange for the smaller fortresses of Artena and Faiola (both in the Alban Hills) and a personal oath of loyalty to the pope.  Gionata pledged his loyalty and promised to defend the Church against all men, but insisted that because the Counts of Tusculum had been Imperial vassals since the days of Emperor Louis the Blind, he had the right to append “excepto contra Imperatorem” – “except against the Emperor.”

At Tusculum, the Pope also received a new delegation from the Greek Emperor Manuel Comnenus, and shortly afterwards the pope announced his intention to enter the conflict against King William of Sicily by summoning the expeditio, the grand levy of the entire patrimonium.  By law and custom, all the pope’s feudatories are required to either fulfill their military obligations in person or pay a fine by which mercenaries may be hired in their place.  Messengers are riding throughout Latium to call upon every baron and commune to muster their forces at Ferentino come October.

It is rumored that the pope has indeed entered into an explicit alliance with the Greeks, and if so he is in violation of the Treaty of Constance with the Emperor, which specified that “…the pope will not grant any land in Italy to the king of the Greeks, and will use all the resources of St. Peter to drive him out if he invades that land.”  As Frederick is already on his way northwards, however, it seems unlikely this apparent breach will have any immediate repercussions.

News of Rome

Congratulations are due to Senator Arrigus Sismondii, whose wife Pera has given birth to a healthy baby girl!  The child has been baptized as Angela.

A number of noble Roman families who were expelled from the city in the revolution of 1144 have returned following the signing of the Treaty of Campus Neronius, though most simply sent representatives, being less interested in moving back to Rome than simply reclaiming their property.  One of the families that has actually returned to the city is the Demetri, the family of the late Pope Anastasius IV.  Signore Antonio Demetri della Suburra, nephew of Anastasius and younger brother of Gregorio della Suburra, Cardinal-Bishop of Sabina, has begun rebuilding the old family estate just south of Senator Basile’s residence, which was sacked in 1144 and has been squatted in by goat herders since then.

In late June, the notorious Arnoldist preacher Wetzel attempted to stir up trouble in the district of S. Eustachii et Vinea Teudemarii, where Cardinal-Deacon Ildebrando Grassi had been residing and supervising the giving of alms since the entry of the Pope into the city.  Despite the fact that the district is known to be a hotbed of Arnoldism, the locals apparently did not appreciate the disruption of Church charity.  Wetzel was shouted down when he attempted to speak on the steps of Saint Eustace and chased out of the district by a mob of angry beggars.

Work continues on restoring the section of the Aqua Virgo within the city walls.  Without skilled architects or the expertise of the ancients, the work must be completed through brute force; broken arches cannot be restored, but must be replaced by simply building a giant wall of brick there.  Such an approach is not fast, cheap, or efficient, but should eventually get the job done.

The allied regiments sent by our Tiberian allies, Rieti and Perugia, have returned home, no doubt thankful that they did not actually have to fight the Imperial army.

Finances

Treasury: 0 WP

State Projects: Aqua Virgo Repair [6/15]

Income: 1 WP
  • Duty, Patrician Pierleone: 1 WP

Expenditures: 0 WP

Senatorial Inquests

Senators that requested information or launched endeavors have the results of their efforts listed here.  This information is private, but you may certainly choose to share it with the Senate.

Update

Maps and correspondence to follow shortly.  Let me know if any orders are missing or if finances are out of order.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:30:27 PM by Polycarp » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 125
  Print  

Jump to: