Ads

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 125
  Print  
Author Topic: The Republic Reborn  (Read 185591 times)
The Holiest of Carp
Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
« Reply #495 on: May 22, 2012, 12:59:53 PM »

Greetings friends,

As you may have gathered, I'm definitely back from vacation, but I've been very busy this past week.  I have to run some errands today but I'll resume work on the update tonight; hopefully I'll be able to deliver it by tomorrow.  Thanks for your patience.

Edit: My mouse stopped working yesterday and I had to hold off on any updating while I got a new one.  Also, I told Llum I would finish this update before I went to bed come hell or high water, but then my computer crashed and I lost some of it.  Somebody upstairs has it in for this update, but I bravely soldier on, heedless of setbacks and obstacles, determined to give you the long awaited Summer Update as soon as humanly possible.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 05:53:41 AM by Polycarp » Logged

The Clockwork Jungle (wiki | thread)
"The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way." - Marcus Aurelius

The Holiest of Carp
Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
« Reply #496 on: May 25, 2012, 04:28:38 PM »

Anno Domini MCLIV
    Summer has passed into Autumn…
    In autumn, laborers take to the farmlands to plow the fields and sow the winter wheat, while in the hills grapes and olives must be picked and pressed.  This is a busy time in Rome, for much work needs to be done between the withering summer and the onset of winter.  The wealthy return to the city from their country estates this season, and the Church prepares for the celebration of All Saints’ Day.  On the water, merchants hurry to complete their routes before the winter storms make the sea treacherous, and citizens watch the Tiber warily, for floods come most often in autumn

Our Consuls: To Be Determined
    Our Pope: Anastasius IV
    Our Rage: Simmering

This Season’s Top 5 Popular Issues

1. "The Emperor is coming!  Who will defend us?"
    2. "No, seriously this time– he’s really coming!  What are we going to do!?"
    3. "Is it time to mend our fences with the Pope?"
    4. "The Senators and their Courts are corrupt."
    5. "Arnold of Brescia is a great man.  We should protect him."

News from Abroad

Word has come from the north that Frederick von Hohenstaufen, King of Germany, has crossed the Alps through the Brenner Pass.  With him is an army of his German vassals, as well as arguably the two most important nobles in Germany, Henry “the Lion” Welf, Duke of Saxony, and Otto von Wittelsbach, Count Palatine of Bavaria.  The king has announced that an Imperial Diet will be held on the plain of Roncaglia, near the city of Piacenza, in autumn, and has summoned representatives from all the major communes and baronial houses of Imperial Italy to attend.

News of Latium

The communes of Perugia and Assisi have fought several skirmishes over the small city of Bastia, which lies between them, throughout spring and summer.  The conflict was inconclusive, and the two cities have agreed to a truce.

The Roman Commune has invaded the city of Civitavecchia, which surrendered without a fight after the Pisan colony in the city declined to join in the defense of the city.

Word has it that the lord of Magliano, Niccolo Anguillara, has allied himself with the Faliscan League.

Castrum Nerulae, known also as Nerola, has been occupied by Farfa Abbey.  Cardinal-Bishop Ottaviano dei Crescenzi Ottaviani di Monticelli, the original owner of the castle, has sold it to the abbey for an unknown sum.

News of Rome

An epidemic of fever has plagued the city this summer, particularly those low-lying districts hit hardest by the flood earlier this year.  The riverside shacks of the poor, many only recently rebuilt, echo with the moans of the ill or simply stand silent as tombs.  Those that can afford to leave the city have done so; those who cannot must take refuge in prayer.

Expeditions

Finances

Treasury: 7 WP
    • Defense Fund: 0 WP

Income: 2 WP
    • Duty, Patrician Pierleone: 1 WP
    • Tribute, Tre Fontane: 1 WP

Expenditures: 1 WP
    • Vigili Upkeep: 1 WP

Senatorial Inquests

Senators that requested information or launched endeavors have the results of their efforts listed here.  This information is private, but you may certainly choose to share it with the Senate.

FINALLY

Ok, we're done here - well, at least this part is done.  I still need to update the front page, the maps - and we have an election this turn...

As usual, let me know if I've missed anything and I'll get right to it.  This was a complicated turn and it might be worth double-checking your finances.
    [/list]
    « Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 01:43:45 PM by Polycarp » Logged

"The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way." - Marcus Aurelius

The Holiest of Carp
    Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #497 on: May 25, 2012, 04:32:49 PM »

Consular Election of 1154
    Senators, it is time to decide who will lead our glorious city in the coming year!

Election Rules

All PCs are eligible for Consular status, though a character who wins an election may choose not to accept the position if he so desires.  All PCs are eligible to cast a ballot, though casting a ballot is not mandatory.

Each character has a number of votes equal to his Influence score.  When you cast a ballot, you must choose how these votes are allotted.  You may spend all your votes on one candidate or split votes between candidates however you wish.  A ballot should be in a red OOC box like this one, and be in this format:

Election of 1153

Your Senator’s Name

4 votes to Senator X
    2 votes to Senator Y

The ballot is not secret.  Who voted for whom is in-character information known by all.  The whole Senate, all 100 members, takes part in this vote; our game simulates this using Influence, meaning that when you “cast a ballot” it actually represents your character and his friends and/or family actively cajoling and convincing NPC senators to vote your way.  This is a tedious process of pandering speeches, cloying flattery, empty promises, and boring dinner parties, and is by definition not a private matter.

Bribery, specifically the expenditure of Wealth to buy votes, is permitted.  Bribery will alter the final count of votes, depending on how much Wealth was spent.  Bribery works by  “stealing” one vote from a candidate of your choice and giving it to another candidate of your choice.  Stealing a vote in this way costs 2 WP.  It may be obvious that people were bribed if the final result doesn’t match who players actually voted for, but there will be no direct indication of who bribed them unless the bribery is discovered.

If the bribery is discovered, there will be a scandal resulting in a loss of Influence.  The chances of a bribe becoming a scandal are 10% for each vote bought.  Note that a scandal does not mean the bribe was unsuccessful – it is still possible to win an election by bribery despite a scandal, but the loss of Influence may make it difficult to hold on to power.

If you choose to bribe, it should ONLY be done by sending me a PM indicating how much you are spending and who the bribed Senators are supposed to vote for.  If you post a bribe in this thread, it will not be accepted, and I will laugh at you.  Bribes are non-refundable!

The two players with the most votes (after Bribery) are elected Consuls.  The Consul who receives the most votes has the privilege of deciding which Consul, external or internal, he wishes to be.  Ties will be resolved in favor of who has the most Influence or, failing that, a coin flip.

Grengevir
    Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
    « Reply #498 on: May 25, 2012, 07:36:06 PM »

Election of 1154

5 votes for Senator Calafatus
    « Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 04:57:00 PM by TheMeanestGuest » Logged

Let the scholar be dragged by the hook.

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
    « Reply #499 on: May 25, 2012, 10:51:20 PM »

Private To Senator Sissmondi

Senator. I and others were impressed by your leadership regarding the reconstruction of churches in Rome. Would you be interested in receiving support in the upcoming election so that your good deeds can be promulgated in the future?

I find it hard to vote for Basile in the current political situation- he has led for long and although he has led well in the vast majority of circumstances- it is good to have new ideas and a rotation of leadership from time to time, especially when his handling of the legal situation has led many people to have lost confidence in our embryonic Courts.

Basile made the right decision- I still agree that DeRosa's judicial decision was not the best decision for Rome- but I also strongly argue that Basile did not make the decision in the best way to serve Rome and peace and prosperity- there were different ways to honor our good General, Fortis Calafactus, who has given Rome great wealth and opportunity--without risking chaos.

Regardless of who wins the election, Rome will have competent leaders-- but perhaps it is the time for new ideas? Perhaps it is time for Consul Sissmondi?

I always take 20
    Administrator
    Flumph

View Profile
    « Reply #500 on: May 25, 2012, 11:49:59 PM »

Reply to Manzinni

Senator your faith in me fills me with joy. To know that I have done well at least in the eyes of some makes for a most excellent measuring rod when I weigh my past decisions and choices. Indeed I have hoped to do my duty to my brothers in Christ as is required of any proper Christian. However my friend, mine is not the mind of a leader but of a guide and a council. I would seek rather to provide aid and advice to those governing Rome than to govern myself. This was why I first joined the Senate and why I must decline the most generous offer you give me now. It perhaps remains to be seen who shall lead us in the coming days, but it will not be me. Look for me rather at the right hand of the Romans, a staff to steady their weary steps and guide their path.

The Holiest of Carp
    Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #501 on: May 26, 2012, 01:22:07 AM »

Please note the little Hohenstaufen shield on the map of Italy - it indicates where Frederick currently is (or at least where he's rumored to be) as of the most current reports.  Also note that because it takes time for these rumors to reach Rome, his position on that map may not be 100% accurate.

I have some mail for the Consuls - that is, the new consuls - and it will be posted when the election is finished.

To the Senate

Senators of the Romans,

My brother-chaplains in Italy have informed me of the perilous spiritual and moral road on which the city of Rome has tread since its deplorable disunion with the One and True Church.  I urge you, as leaders of the people of this holy city, to stamp out heresy in all its devious forms and renounce pride for piety and humility.

I have given permission for my brothers of the Templar Order in Italy to reestablish the Order’s preceptory in Rome, in the district of Ripe et Marmorate, which unfortunately fell into disuse and ill repair under the rule of my gloriously martyred predecessor.  It is my expectation that the Romans will allow these brethren to perform their holy duties without interference, critical as they are to the maintenance of Jerusalem for the followers of Christ and the protection of pilgrims and their valuables en route to the Holy Land.

André de Montbard, Grandmaster of the Poor Fellow-Soldiers of Christ and of the Temple of Solomon

Modron

View Profile
    « Reply #502 on: May 27, 2012, 12:56:20 AM »

Polycarp Civitavecchia Campaign

The council seemed to be stalling for time until the Pisans forced their hand – the Pisan consul, meeting with Consul Calafatus, agreed to remain neutral in exchange for Roman recognition of their sovereignty and immunity from Roman law and taxation.  Without Pisan assistance, the council had only its local militia to rely upon.  Not wishing to invite a sack, the council surrendered the city to the Romans on July 8th, after an uneventful and bloodless two-week “siege.”

I'm not sure; are they sovereign then, or not?

Modron

View Profile
    « Reply #503 on: May 27, 2012, 01:48:11 AM »

Privately Speaking to Fortis Calafatus as he returns from the Civitavecchia Campaign

Congratulations, signore Calafatus, on your successful campaign.
    Civitavecchia is important to the prosperity of Rome. It’s the first step in acquiring a sea presence. And such brings important benefits.

I, however, wonder what your plans are to restore some kind of order and take a firm hold on this new, and most appreciated, acquisition. Perhaps if I could relieve you of a few burdens, we could surely cement our grasp on the city?
    I have been making headways with the Pisans, if only slightly. I opened channels with important men over there, including the Archbishop.
    Although they didn’t own the city, as we do now; they still command great respect. I believe they have much of interest with Civitavecchia and diplomatic talks must happen in order to avoid a deterioration of the situation, regarding them.
    In the meantime I propose to augment my well-armed militia and use them as politia in the port.

Ah eh, and the matter of our courageous men acting like uncivilized primates, I will definitely be putting the word out there that such behavior is disgraceful and unacceptable. We do not take a city to make it into a circus. This new administration needs to be put in order. Rome is exemplary.

Letter to Fortis Calafatus, sent after the Private Discussion

Signore Calafatus,
    I fear powerful actors up in the Italian north may want to coerce this King of Germany into obliterating us for taking Civitavecchia. It is a key port, indeed, and some have practiced beneficial relationships there for some time.

It’s extremely important that we restore peace and that trade may be allowed to continue unhindered, even for those not of the Roman blood.
    Though I do not wish to say that we should not be a bit bold; my proposition still stands for stationing men in the city’s port to keep trade flowing and a peaceful ambience.

Privately Speaking to Roberto Basile, on a quick visit to his Estate

Signore Basile,
    Good to see you.
    I can still hear the crowds complaining about a corrupted senate and the courts serving political interests. It has bugged me, for I know we, senators and consiliarii, devote the entirety of our time to the governance of Rome. If the people keep wondering if they are safe, the governing body will stay weak, and no progress can be made.

I was wondering what were your plans concerning the courts? We are presented a decent opportunity to polish their image with Civitavecchia, where I hear our men have been acting rather primitively. We should station a politia in the city and punish those who commit these disgraceful acts.

The Holiest of Carp
    Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #504 on: May 27, 2012, 04:21:31 AM »

I'm not sure; are they sovereign then, or not?

"Sovereignty" probably isn't the word I should have used.  It's a term of very limited meaning in the Middle Ages, for the only truly sovereign entities are Popes and Emperors, and even they hold their positions only as "vassals" of the Almighty God.  The political system of 12th century Europe is such that virtually everyone in normal society is someone else's vassal.  Even the great communes of Italy - like, say, Florence - are "independent" only insofar as that they have had a measure of autonomy granted to them by an Imperial charter, and are de jure still Imperial vassals, just as Rome is de jure a Papal vassal as far as anyone in Christendom is concerned.  Even Milan, which practically spits in the Emperor's face, does not claim to be legally independent of the Empire.  For a city to be truly and totally independent, not subject to any higher authority, is sort of beyond the medieval conception of political organization in which absolutely everything is subject to the Pope and Emperor.  (To drive home the point, the Pope claims special authority granted to him by Constantine over "islands" - yes, all islands, everywhere - and this is a claim that's taken seriously enough in the 12th century that the King of England ends up writing to the Pope for permission to invade "his" island of Ireland.)

Civitavecchia is owned by the Abbey of Farfa - lock, stock, and barrel - so in theory everything in the city is theirs and all the non-free residents are their tenants/serfs.  In practice, however, Farfa's only interest in the city is that pays its taxes to the abbey's coffers, and the city is allowed to govern itself nearly all other matters.

The Pisan presence complicates matters somewhat; again, in theory, all the city belongs to the abbey and can't be alienated from the abbey unless the abbey chooses to sell it.  The abbey, however, can certainly rent lands and rights to others, and probably rents the "Pisan Quarter" to the Pisans and allows them exclusive trading privileges in exchange for some cut of the profit and/or a regular payment.  Since the abbey owns the city, it is perfectly within its rights to rent such rights and properties out to the Pisans whether the city council agrees or not.  Regardless of how much de facto autonomy the council enjoys in day to day life, their very existence is based solely on the whim of the abbey and they have no grounds to contest its decisions nor are they in any position to force or compel the Pisans to help defend the city.

To use an analogy, the Pisans and Civitavecchians are like two residents in a duplex apartment.  They don't have the authority to kick each other out or tell each other what to do - only the landlord (Farfa) can do that.  Rome has invaded the Civitavecchians' apartment, and the Pisans have agreed to not do anything about it so long as the Romans leave them be in their apartment.  (The landlord is pissed, though.)
    « Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 04:27:22 AM by Polycarp » Logged

Modron

View Profile
    « Reply #505 on: May 27, 2012, 10:54:06 AM »

While this answers some interesting things, it wasn't really the core of my question. Let me rephrase;

Polycarp Civitavecchia Campaign

...and immunity from Roman law and taxation...

Is this in effect? Did Calafatus agree to that?

The Holiest of Carp
    Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #506 on: May 27, 2012, 03:43:25 PM »

Pymtein Magnushake

Is this in effect? Did Calafatus agree to that?

Yes, he did - at least, according to the Romans, Pisans, and a few Civitavecchians involved in the negotiations, who are the ultimate sources of the rumors constituting that expedition report.

Grengevir
    Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
    « Reply #507 on: May 27, 2012, 04:35:20 PM »

In conversation with Senator DeVinti

Ah, Senator. While this matter is as always of great concern to me, I find that my efforts in this regard have all amounted to so much chaff on the wind. The system of Roman Justice I had so painstakingly nurtured has been undone by the malice of our dear colleague, Senator DeRosa. Perhaps the Romans do not truly desire the rule of Law, but the veracity of such musings will have to be determined by another. My pursuit of the Consulship again this year is in some doubt. It is quite taxing on the vigours of the body and mind, and I find that I need some degree of rest from such hardship. My groves need tending, and as you can no doubt see, my estate is in need of some reorganization with the additions that are in progress.

Perhaps I shall change my mind in this regard if Rome shows that she desires my continued leadership, but I have not felt the warmth of such sentiment in some time. The Senate will decide as it decides.

Let the scholar be dragged by the hook.

Planar Grazer
    Yrthak

View Profile
    « Reply #508 on: May 27, 2012, 04:36:25 PM »

Votes

Senator Calafatus: 4 votes

Private letter to Senator de Vinti

Thank you for your kind words Senator.

I plan on installing a politia of my own, partly using my house guards and local recruits. If you would be willing to contribute to this with men or funds it would be most welcome.

As for the northerners goading Frederick into destroying Rome, I do not believe he would be so bold. But I shall consider this matter, thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Consul Fortis Calafatus

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
    « Reply #509 on: May 28, 2012, 05:34:14 AM »

Nomadic

Reply to Manzinni

Senator your faith in me fills me with joy. To know that I have done well at least in the eyes of some makes for a most excellent measuring rod when I weigh my past decisions and choices. Indeed I have hoped to do my duty to my brothers in Christ as is required of any proper Christian. However my friend, mine is not the mind of a leader but of a guide and a council. I would seek rather to provide aid and advice to those governing Rome than to govern myself. This was why I first joined the Senate and why I must decline the most generous offer you give me now. It perhaps remains to be seen who shall lead us in the coming days, but it will not be me. Look for me rather at the right hand of the Romans, a staff to steady their weary steps and guide their path.

Private to Arrigus

I thank you greatly for your response and for your calm and measured nature! I wish you well in your endeavors and I look forward to hearing your continued input at the Senate. I am a big believer in a diversity of views as leading to the success of Rome.

Private To Fortis

Senator Calafactus, Congratulations again on your victory. I would like to support you in the upcoming election as I have supported you in the past. To this end, I question what are some of your plans to strengthen Rome's position when the Emperor arrives? Are we to mend fences with the Pope? Have we estimated the strength of Frederick's armies if we must oppose him? Is there any third way of negotiation that appears open? The people WILL follow where you lead, and Rome needs a direction.

Private to Vanetti

Senator Vanetti,

Salutations and welcome again to the Inner Council. Your measured speeches in the Senate for peace and order were well received. I write to you today to ask you a question- given that the Emperor is arriving soon, have you given thought to the leadership of this Senate and what that leadership may express to the Emperor and to the Pope?

Senator Basile led as consul during the sack of the Lateran--I do not chide him for his decision--indeed it was the right decision at the right time; but, having him in charge of Rome during a time when reconciliation with the Pope is required may not be an appropriate message to send to Frederick. It could be that Rome needs to demonstrate, via election, that it wishes rapporachement with the Pope--at least until the Emperor has departed.

I fear for the future of Rome and I wish it best. I am saddened that Basile's actions-good at the time-may reflect poorly on Rome now. Perhaps it is time for a rotation of leaders, or at least of one leader?  I think we both wish Rome to prosper.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 125
      Print  

Jump to: