Ads

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 125
  Print  
Author Topic: The Republic Reborn  (Read 188530 times)
Modron

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 10, 2012, 11:59:36 AM »

Summer, 5th Turn

- Acquire lands in the Roma Campagna big enough to grow -flax-. Spend no more than 1 Wealth for the purchase. If there is a possibility that I can acquire land freely and without problems, use that method. My character would also prefer it if the emplacement was favorable for future expansion, if it's not already big enough.
- Hold my annual party

Intelligence gathering

Perhaps this may give you a few ideas as to what information my agents in Pisa and Bologna could give me.

- Pisa – Strongly Defended City: How, with what and how many?
- Pisa – Weaknesses: What are they?
- Pisa – Hostile Neighbors: Are there any way for Rome to exploit psychological weaknesses to foment a war between Pisa and, let’s say, Florence?
- Pisa – Reach: What and with whom do they trade? What is their reach, how far do they travel and what are their sea routes?
- Bologna – There wasn’t much in the first read, I’ll wait for the second for any questions. Of course information about its defense, education (what do they teach?) and trade opportunities would be good. How others view Rome is also something my senator likes to know.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 12:29:49 PM by Magnus Pym » Logged

The Holiest of Carp
Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: March 10, 2012, 04:10:27 PM »

This is a pleasant reminder that tomorrow is currently the last day to get in orders.  As we only have one set of orders posted so far, my suspicion is that some people may need extra time.  Let me know what's up and how much time you need and I'll adjust the due date accordingly.

Also, do remember that next season is election season!  It's never too early to campaign!

The Clockwork Jungle (wiki | thread)
"The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way." - Marcus Aurelius

I always take 20
Administrator
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 10, 2012, 05:54:51 PM »

Out of Character

- Seeing the need to expand my ventures I will spend [1 wealth] to invest into the local wool trade.
- Some of this will be spent hiring armed men who will help me clear out and lay claim to the most appropriate tract of land I can find near Rome. This will be limited to land owned by the clergy who have been kicked out of Rome by the recent power shifts. I will find the largest piece I can appropriate for grazing sheep on. I will approach any peasant families on the land and pick from amongst them those most competent and capable to help oversee the raising and shearing of my sheep. They will be told that if they work for me they can keep their homes on my land and if they do good work I will supplement them with some coin income. If they cheat me though they will find themselves looking for a home elsewhere. As for any other peasants they will simply be driven off the land by my armed men.
- The remainder of the money spent will be spent on purchasing sheep, feed, and any other equipment required for raising and shearing the sheep. I will find a close family member or friend competent enough to oversee the work and loyal enough to oversee it honestly for me.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 06:39:21 PM by Nomadic » Logged

Grengevir
Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 10, 2012, 08:07:55 PM »

Speech before the Lesser Council

Senators!

The campaign is in the able hands of Consul Calafatus, and I do not say that we should interfere. What word that has reached us speaks only of the triumph of the Romans, so why then should we desist in our efforts when presented with such a paltry sum? We must show all of Latium that we are not to be trifled with, and we must show the Reatini the value of our Alliance. Control of the Via Salaria and its castles is vital to secure our position, and to ensure the safe passage of goods and arms between us and our ally.

Our defenses are near insurmountable, and the Faliscans would not dare engage us. The security of Rome is as ever my primary priority, and even now I am ensuring that our walls are strong, so that we might resist any attack sent against us! We cannot doubt the bravery of our brother Romans in the field, and I am sure that when the Consul achieves victory, the resulting peace will be all the better for our City.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 02:21:08 AM by TheMeanestGuest » Logged

Let the scholar be dragged by the hook.

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 11, 2012, 12:06:30 AM »

Out of Character

-Buy 1 wealth worth of food, to be delivered in Autumn or early Winter either directly from Naples or through a Pisan merchant who docks at Naples and store in a granary... how long will the food keep for? If the food would only keep for 1 season, cancel this order- if the food could keep for up to two years, then that's good.
-Determine where the most blacksmiths are currently located on the Italian peninsula and what sort of commissions they are getting and why they likely are staying in the locations where they have been.
- Do I hear back from the people I sent to Africa on Trade?
- Draft a letter to the Frangipani, asking for their interests in trade and introducing myself and encouraging them to speak to the Consuls of Rome since they are also Children of Rome; inquiring also to what they want from Rome, because we all can benefit and grow rich from Unity.

For the Emperor!
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 11, 2012, 12:33:38 PM »

Orders

Spend no more 1 wealth to fix up as many of my new properties as possible, focusing on areas that would receive the most traffic. These establishments should be ship shape and nice but not fancy.  Take the best property that is both near some of the famous sites in Rome and in a safer/wealthier neighborhood and spend a bit more money on it (in comparison to the rest) to make it above average. If the reconstruction is completed this turn, send some men throughout the Italian Peninsula, informing the masses (as well as the influential merchants) that the De Rosa Inns and Taverns are open and ready to accept patronage!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 12:35:30 PM by Elemental_Elf » Logged

The Holiest of Carp
Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: March 11, 2012, 07:28:27 PM »

I am beginning the update for this turn.  I will accept new orders or changes to existing orders for the next 6 hours or so as long as you notify me with a post or PM.  I will not accept new orders or changes after that point unless you clear it with me by PM.  I hope to post the update sometime tomorrow, but it is a big one, so we will see!

"The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way." - Marcus Aurelius

Planar Grazer
Yrthak

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 11, 2012, 08:16:28 PM »

Orders for Summer of 1153

-Continue with the military campaign/siege from the previous season. Focus on siege weapons trying to throw our stockpiles of flaming pitch (if possible)
-Keep a vanguard of Outriders and scouts on the lookout for enemy reinforcements
-Scour the land around the castle
-If the current siege is won, raze the castle to the ground and loot as much as possible.
-If the siege is won and the advanced continued, keep an good scout for ambushes.
-After the summer, return to Rome. If in siege at the end of the summer, raze and scour anything within 10 leagues of the defenders then leave.
-Get writ of property for each captured castle, town or any land. These are to be held under guard by Calafatus's men and will be distributed the following season.
-Reassure any lords of conquered castles that if they are willing to be subject to Roman rule that things will go their way, but any defiance will be punished dearly.
-Find out if Pierlioni has any allies in the conquered areas.
-Leave Nerulae and other captured castles under the rule of men loyal to Consul Calafatus ( with the exception of Capofarfa which is to be razed). They can come to Rome and retrieve their writ of property in Rome in the Autumn.
-Fund any costs of the war from my own wealth.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 10:30:47 PM by Llum » Logged

The Holiest of Carp
Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: March 14, 2012, 12:17:30 AM »

Anno Domini MCLIII
Summer has passed into Autumn…
In autumn, laborers take to the farmlands to plow the fields and sow the winter wheat, while in the hills grapes and olives must be picked and pressed.  This is a busy time in Rome, for much work needs to be done between the withering summer and the onset of winter.  The wealthy return to the city from their country estates this season, and the Church prepares for the celebration of All Saints’ Day.  On the water, merchants hurry to complete their routes before the winter storms make the sea treacherous, and citizens watch the Tiber warily, for floods come most often in autumn

Our Consuls: None (Elections pending)
Our Pope: Anastasius IV
Our Rage: Simmering

News from Abroad

Uroš II Primislav, Prince of Serbia, has been overthrown by his brother Desa.  Desa is believed to have staged his rebellion in response to the submission of Uroš to the Emperor of the Greeks Manuel Komnenos last year, and is supported by the pro-Hungarian faction of the Serbian court.  Desa has renounced Greek vassalage.

Bernard of Clairvaux, one of the great clergymen of our time, has died.  Bernard founded the abbey of Clairvaux, greatly expanded the Cistercian monastic order, and helped conceive of the rules of the Knights Templar.  His influence in the Christian church was so great that he exchanged frequent letters with many Popes over his lifetime, and was instrumental in the preaching of the Second Crusade.

News of Latium

Romans, we have a new Pope!  On the 8th of July at Anagni, Pope Eugene III passed away.  Four days later the College of Cardinals elected their own Dean, Cardinal Corrado Demetri della Suburra, an 80 year old native of Rome, to the Papal chair.  He has taken the name Anastasius IV.

Signore Niccolo Capocci, Lord of Monte Ritondo and Castrum Nomentum, has captured Castrum Poteranum and expelled its Papal garrison without bloodshed.  He now controls a considerable swath of territory between the Tiber and Castrum Montecellorum (a Frangipani fief), situated directly on the strategic northern approaches to Rome.

News of Rome

Hugo de Vinti has thrown another one of his fabulous parties in August, inviting a number of distinguished Senators and all the senatores consiliarii who cared to attend.  A painting of Consul Basile, a bust of Consul Calafatus, and a full statue of a less than fully clothed woman were exhibited, along with other artistic works.

Wild talk has seized the city - it is said that Patrician Pierleone has charged Consul Calafatus with famosis libellis, a very serious offense!  How will the court decide?  Already brawls have been reported between the old consulari and patrizi...

Work continues on shoring up the worst parts of the Aurelian walls, funded by Consul Basile and the Communal treasury.  Initial repairs are expected to be complete by next season.

Expeditions

Finances

The interior Consul has provided the Senate with a report on the status of the treasury.

Treasury: 1 Wealth
  • Defense Fund: 0 Wealth

Income
  • Tribute, Tre Fontane: 1 Wealth/year (Paid in Autumn)
  • Duty, Patrician Pierleoni: 1 Wealth/year (Paid in Spring)

Expenditures
  • Jus Politia Upkeep: 1 Wealth/year (Paid in Winter)

Senatorial Inquests

Senators that requested information or launched endeavors have the results of their efforts listed here.  This information is private, but you may certainly choose to share it with the Senate.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 01:05:03 AM by Polycarp » Logged

The Holiest of Carp
Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: March 14, 2012, 12:21:43 AM »

Event: Schools of Thought

The actions of various senators have resulted in a number of Bolognese legal scholars moving, at least temporarily, to Rome.  They have brought with them the knowledge of their teachers, the illustrious Four Doctors of Bologna, but their opinions as well, and already it is clear that they are not all of the same mind.  Two “camps” of jurisprudence exist, and it falls to the Senate to determine whose view will be supreme.

• The Bulgari, followers of the doctor Bulgarus, see the law as operating according to its face value.  The narrowest interpretation, or ius strictum, must be applied to maintain consistency and prevent the debasing of ancient and hallowed legal precedents.  The view of the Bulgari is favored by the equites and many of the Senators, who believe it will maintain civic order and secure the powers of the ruling elite.
  • The Gosiani, followers of the doctor Martinus Gosia, are proponents of the legal principle of aequitas, or “equity,” which allows for a more expansive interpretation of the law and gives greater weight to local and traditional codes of justice so principles of Roman law can be extended to modern situations.  The view of the Gosiani is favored by the popolo grasso, who believe it will protect civic liberty and prevent the consolidation of power among the equites.

By the end of the season, the senatores consiliarii should decide (by vote, if necessary) which legal theory should be used to carry out the work of the Curia Senatus.  The effects of this decision may have subtle, but far-reaching effects on Roman society.

Event: A Demand for Justice!

Senator DeRosa, a judge does not choose his cases, and because of your frequent volunteering as a judge you have landed one that might conservatively be described as “politically awkward.”  It falls to you to hear the complaint of the citizen and Patrician Giordano Pierleone against the citizen and Consul Fortis Calafatus which alleges famosis libellis – that is, seditious libel.  According to the Justinian Code and most other known forms of classical jurisprudence, famosis libellis is a capital crime.

The written complain of the claimant follows.  As judge, you may ask whatever questions of the claimant and accused that you wish, and they are compelled by law and tradition to answer your inquiries and respond in person to your summons.

You may consult with a legal advisor (me!) at any time (by PM).  It would be wise to withhold a final judgment until you have consulted with him.

To Senator Domenico DeRosa

Honored Senator,

As a citizen of Rome I am protected by its law, and as a Patrician of Rome, granted this honor by the Senate and confirmed by the same body this year, I am entitled to the protection the law affords to the reputations of men who serve it in a notable and official capacity.  Our ancestors well knew that if the good name of a public figure was permitted to be viciously and baselessly slandered by any man with ill-will towards him, the governance of the Republic would be impossible.  The trust of the citizens in their officials must be preserved, and the destroyers of that trust must be punished.

I allege that Signore Fortis Calafatus, recently Consul, did falsely and slanderously accuse me of attempted murder upon him, despite the obvious facts of the matter and the incredible nature of his story, and refused to retract this accusation despite being given ample opportunity to do so.  The injury to my person demands justice that only the law can provide.  I accuse Signore Fortis Calafatus of famosis libellis and submit my case to the Curia Senatus, in which I have absolute trust, so that the order of the Commune may be preserved.

Giordano Pierleone, Citizen and Patrician of Rome, Magistrate of Trastevere

The Holiest of Carp
Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: March 14, 2012, 12:22:42 AM »

Consular Election of 1153
Senators, it is time to decide who will lead our glorious city in the coming year!

Election Rules

All PCs are eligible for Consular status, though a character who wins an election may choose not to accept the position if he so desires.  All PCs are eligible to cast a ballot, though casting a ballot is not mandatory.

Each character has a number of votes equal to his Influence score.  When you cast a ballot, you must choose how these votes are allotted.  You may spend all your votes on one candidate or split votes between candidates however you wish.  A ballot should be in a red OOC box like this one, and be in this format:

Election of 1153

Your Senator’s Name

4 votes to Senator X
2 votes to Senator Y

The ballot is not secret.  Who voted for whom is in-character information known by all.  The whole Senate, all 100 members, takes part in this vote; our game simulates this using Influence, meaning that when you “cast a ballot” it actually represents your character and his friends and/or family actively cajoling and convincing NPC senators to vote your way.  This is a tedious process of pandering speeches, cloying flattery, empty promises, and boring dinner parties, and is by definition not a private matter.

Bribery, specifically the expenditure of Wealth to buy votes, is permitted.  Bribery will alter the final count of votes, depending on how much Wealth was spent.  One point of Wealth “steals” one vote from a candidate of your choice and gives it to another candidate of your choice.  It may be obvious that people were bribed if the final result doesn’t match who players actually voted for, but there will be no direct indication of who bribed them.

If the bribery is discovered, there will be a scandal resulting in a loss of Influence.  The chances of a bribe becoming a scandal are 10% for each point of Wealth spent.  Note that a scandal does not mean the bribe was unsuccessful – it is still possible to win an election by bribery despite a scandal, but the loss of Influence may make it difficult to hold on to power.

If you choose to bribe, it should ONLY be done by sending me a PM indicating how much you are spending and who the bribed Senators are supposed to vote for.  If you post a bribe in this thread, it will not be accepted, and I will laugh at you.  Bribes are non-refundable!

The two players with the most votes (after Bribery) are elected Consuls.  The Consul who receives the most votes has the privilege of deciding which Consul, external or internal, he wishes to be.  Ties will be resolved in favor of who has the most Influence or, failing that, a coin flip.

Planar Grazer
Yrthak

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 14, 2012, 01:08:07 AM »

Votes for Consular Elections of 1153

4 Votes Consul Calafatus
1 Vote Consul Basile

I always take 20
Administrator
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 14, 2012, 01:52:41 AM »

Votes for Consul

3 Votes Calafatus
2 Vote Basile

For the Emperor!
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 14, 2012, 02:32:23 AM »

OOC - Oy Vey!

To the Curia Senatus and Giordano Pierleone

The court is now in order. I, Domenico DeRosa, Senator and most humble Judge of the Eternal City shall now hear your case. You, Signore Giordano Pierleone, accuse the Consul of Rome - one Signore Fortis Calafatus - of famosis libellis. This is a most heinous and vile crime, one which no Roman should beget nor stand idly by as another is slandered. However, it should be known that the law has strict guidelines concerning what does and does not constitute famosis libellis. I wish, at this time, to make it known to ALL citizens, nay the entirety of Rome itself, that I will act in a dignified and impartial manner. I shall be like King Solomon of Israel, and hear both sides plead their case. When all is said and done I shall render a verdict, which will be final. ALL Romans, from the lowliest beggar to the highest Consul, shall both heed and abide by that verdict.  I do not relish the thought of trying the Consul or Rome, nor do I wish to see a man slandered and have no recourse. I shall now hear this case. I ask that those who listen and watch the proceedings to maintain an open mind and realize that every issue has two sides. Both sides' stories are often correct, from a certain point of view. However, my fellow citizens, the truth is almost always located some where between the two stories.

Modron

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 14, 2012, 05:47:45 AM »

Votes for Consular Elections of 1153

3 Votes to Fortis Calafatus
2 Votes to Roberto Basile

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 125
  Print  

Jump to: