Ads

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 125
  Print  
Author Topic: The Republic Reborn  (Read 195199 times)
Modron

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: February 29, 2012, 05:49:03 PM »

OOC - LD, it is an excellent idea. And there is an EASY way to increase the knowledge/numbers of practitioners/goods in the fields you mentioned. I won't sell that out though, but it should be somewhat obvious.

Modron

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 01, 2012, 06:10:34 AM »

Polycarp, I've updated my play-post, just letting you know.

The Holiest of Carp
Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: March 01, 2012, 05:42:31 PM »

Happy March 1st!  Today is the last day to post orders.  At this point, if you decide to edit your orders, please post here or PM me so I know.

The update will absolutely 100% definitely not be posted today, owing to my absorption in other CBG activities recently.  I will try to get it out to you as soon as possible.

PS. Just a friendly reminder to Llum that I need his War PM sometime today, if possible.

The Clockwork Jungle (wiki | thread)
"The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way." - Marcus Aurelius

I always take 20
Administrator
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 01, 2012, 06:03:47 PM »

Updated my post with a couple more orders.

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 01, 2012, 06:15:21 PM »

Updated orders on page 15... (corrected 1 WEALTH invest; not 3 wealth), and added some discussion about a granary.

Planar Grazer
Yrthak

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 01, 2012, 07:17:24 PM »

Orders Spring of 1152

-Go to war on the Sabbine Fortresses of Farfa. Pay the cost from my own wealth.
-Make sure to bring lots of siege equipment and pitch.
-Bring House Guard as personal retinue, bodyguard and overall help. Make sure they gain lots of experience on siege equipment.
-Send Representative to Konstanz as requested by Frederick. He should say that Rome is as ever a loyal vassal to the Holy Roman Empire and to clear up the confusion that we did not mean to imply that we would crown him, but that he is welcome to come and be crowned by the Pope. The Pope himself is welcome in Rome, he may even stay on my personal residence if he fears for his safety, even if the Roman people are displeased with him.

War PM

Objective: Raze.

Troops: 80% of all armed forces (80% militia, cavalry and labour). Special emphasis on bringing a lot of pitch and siege equipment.

Commander: Fortis Calafatus as commander recruiting anyone who's shown skill as aides and sub-commanders. No Pierlionists in high command.

Duration: Single season Campaign.

Conditions: Will accept surrender from any castle if the gates are opened and armed troops are allowed inside. Enemies must be disarmed, and from this point forward they must cease to oppose the forces of Rome and its allies as well as pay tribute annually to Rome. Also must surrender half of all cattle to Consul Calafatus immediatly (said cattle should be send to my estates outside Rome)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 07:24:52 PM by Llum » Logged

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 01, 2012, 10:14:18 PM »

I see the Cattle Quest has been executed...

I always take 20
Administrator
Flumph

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 02, 2012, 12:12:27 AM »

Heh. Well I have hired 100 skilled mercenary infantry who shall be sent to aid this cattle quest under the command of the Consul. Perhaps if the consul is so inclined he will be willing to share in this most generous windfall of moo'ing loot.

Private Letter to Rector Truffa

I see that the good Consul has decided to act in earnest and it brings me no small joy to know that the senate is willing to protect its allies so quickly. I promised aid but busy is the life of a merchant and a senator and there is much to see to and I was not perhaps expecting so quick a response from the Consul. Nevertheless, I offered aid and I stand before you as an honorable citizen and a christian and will not renege on my promise. I have thus seen to it that men of my own shall be sent along to aid in dealing with Farfa. I hope that this act will show my earnest desire to work with a friend of Rome such as yourself in overcoming all obstacles. With god's aid we shall have victory in this and Rieti shall have chance for peace.

Your friend and true ally,
Senator Arrigus Sismondii

The Holiest of Carp
Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: March 04, 2012, 02:05:47 AM »

Anno Domini MCLIII
Spring has passed into Summer…
Summer in Rome is a time of unbearable heat, when the wealthy flee to country estates and the rest of Rome suffers in the stifling and malarial air.  The peasants must work regardless, mowing hay and weeding their gardens until it is time to harvest winter wheat and rye.  By the end of summer, the grain must be reaped, threshed, winnowed, and milled into flour.  The feasts of the Assumption of Mary and of St. Peter and St. Paul are celebrated in the summer, the latter especially important in Rome, the seat of Peter’s blessed heir.

Landlords take their cut at harvest time.  All noble Senators will gain 1 Wealth this season.

Our Consuls: Fortis Calafatus and Roberto Basile
Our Pope: Eugene III
Our Rage: Simmering

News from Abroad

Foreign news this season has been dominated by momentous events in Africa.

A decisive battle has taken place in the lands of the Saracens of Africa.  For a century Africa has been held by the Banu Hilal, a confederation of Arab Bedouin tribesmen with a loose loyalty to the Fatimids of Egypt.  It is said that on the plains of Setif, the Banu Hilal were utterly crushed by the Almohads, a Berber religious movement from the west.  The defeat was so complete that the Banu Hilal have ceased as an independent people, with most of the remaining Bedouins deported westward with their families.  There seems to be no resistance to Almohad rule in Africa save in Tunis and the Sicilian coastal strongholds.

Philip of Mahdia, Admiral of Sicily, has taken advantage of the chaotic situation to undertake a naval campaign against the African coast, and has succeeded in capturing the Kerkennah islands for the Sicilian crown.

News of Latium

Rome has invaded the territory of Farfa Abbey, and the “Consular Army” of Rome has penetrated all the way into Sabina, plundering villages, razing vineyards, and taking at least one castle from the local lords.  As June arrives, the Romans are besieging the castle of Capofarfa, a Farfan strong point overlooking the Via Salaria.

News of Rome

Opinion was divided on the arrangement struck between the Senate and the Pierleoni.  For the first time in a year, the city is now united; Pierlonist militiamen retreated from the Theater of Marcellus and surrendered the bridges of Trastevere, then returned to the Leonine City, where a good portion of them were disbanded.  There remains an invisible line down the Tiber, however – the Senate has confirmed Patrician Giordano Pierleone in his titles and allowed him lordship over the Leonine City and Magistracy over Trastevere, where support for him remains strong.  This apparent cession to the Pierleoni enraged some who had called for his head after the events of October, but the popolo grasso and equites are on the whole quite pleased with the resumption of normalcy.  While a fair number of the lower classes call Consul Basile a traitor, the merchants and wealthy tradesmen approve of his peaceful handling of the situation in time for Holy Week, and the Senate received him with a standing ovation.

Consul Basile has lost 1 Popularity and gained 1 Influence.

The Senate took steps this season to address the corrupt and chaotic court system much maligned by the Romans.  Temporary buildings were set up in the Forum for judicial use and holding court in private was outlawed, but the law remains rather ineffective with far too few legal experts and notaries for far too many illiterate judges.  Some have simply made up punishments, leading people to charge some Senators with deciding cases unfairly or on the basis of personal favor or patronage.

Holy Week was, much to everyone’s relief, a success.  The Faliscans made no effort to hold up the yearly pilgrimage as some had feared, and the pilgrims from far and wide brought with them many purses that left in a far lighter state than they had arrived.  Holy Week is, perhaps, the only time of year when the usual Roman temperament, a heady blend of indignation, pride, contempt, and bloodlust, is suppressed to put on a good face for the foreigners.  Some pilgrims were upset that the Holy Father and other great men of the church they had come to see were absent, but most were interested in spending Easter in Rome rather than personally glimpsing the Pope, who is said to be in poor health anyway.

Senators got in on the action in a variety of ways – hosting pilgrims at their estates, buying up lodgings for paying customers, and in the case of Senator Manzinni selling handwritten “guides” – loose pages with maps on them, for the illiterate – for modest sums.  How profitable the venture was is unclear, but it did start some entertaining dung-throwing skirmishes between Manzinni’s pamphlet-hawkers and Roman city guides who accused the Senator and his “papers” of cutting in on their action.

Pietro Colonna returned to the city during Holy Week in a grand fashion, paying his respects at the major basilicas and resuming his residence at the luxurious Palazzo Colonna.  It is rumored that he visited the Leonine City on the day after Easter to dine with Patrician Pierleone, who they say is alive and well but walks with a limp.

Expeditions

Finances

The interior Consul has provided the Senate with a report on the status of the treasury.

Treasury: 1 Wealth
  • Defense Fund: 0 Wealth

Income
  • Tribute, Tre Fontane: 1 Wealth/year (Paid in Autumn)
  • Duty, Patrician Pierleoni: 1 Wealth/year (Paid in Spring)

Expenditures
  • Jus Politia Upkeep: 1 Wealth/year (Paid in Winter)

Senatorial Inquests

Senators that requested information or launched endeavors have the results of their efforts listed here.  This information is private, but you may certainly choose to share it with the Senate.

IMPORTANT

Still need to do letters, front page, maps, etc.

Here is the deal: I am going on vacation.  I am leaving tomorrow and will be gone until Thursday.  If I have omitted something or made a mistake, go ahead and tell me as usual, but don't expect a correction until I get back.  On the assumption that I haven't screwed up too badly and y'all are going to get along fine without me, I will announce the due date for next season as Sunday, March 11th.  Hopefully we can sort anything out between when I get back and the due date.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:18:34 AM by Polycarp » Logged

"The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way." - Marcus Aurelius

The Holiest of Carp
Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: March 04, 2012, 02:58:28 AM »

I have been induced by the CBG chat crew to give you a "campaign map," so here it is.  Front page updated, letters still coming.

The Holiest of Carp
Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: March 04, 2012, 03:51:20 AM »

To the Senate

Senators of Rome,

The Abbot of Farfa, alarmed by the unprovoked Roman attack on his demesne, has sought our arbitration as a neutral party, and we have agreed to his request.  He asks that you remove your forces from the territory of Farfa and return the castle of Nerola to its rightful owner.  The Romans will agree to a general truce, and the Abbot will pay an indemnity of [3 Wealth] and guarantee Roman merchants and travelers free and unhindered passage on the Via Salaria.

The Faliscan League believes your acceptance of this very fair offer would go a long way towards preventing hostilities from spreading.

In peace and faith,
Johannes III, Bishop of Sutri

Written to Consul Basile

Consul Basile,

I would ask the pleasure of your company for dinner at my residence.  Patrician Pierleone will be in attendance.  You may bring your own guests as you like.  I hope to have an excellent repast and perhaps a fruitful discussion about certain affairs concerning our dear city.

Pietro Colonna, Lord of Palestrina, Tusculum, Castrum Columna, etcetera and so forth

Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 04, 2012, 12:30:16 PM »

Polycarp-
1. Still reading and thanks for the update- but shouldn't senate wealth be 2 wealth due to Da Vinti's contribution last turn?
2. Since there are 100 senators, I'm a bit surprised that none have contributed to the city wealth/defense fund, following Basile, da Vinti, and ??'s lead in the contributions. What may be the reason for "all" of them to hold back?

Also, I was talking with Magnus and it resulted in this question- do I know
a. how much Siclians pay for salt currently?
b. how much it will cost to get enough gregoriopolitan salt ready for them and shipped?

Have a good time on your trip!

I enjoy the blowback that came as a result of my venture smile
--
Oh and elemental elf- just so that we're on the same page: were we ordering iron this turn? I think my opinion was that I'd be for it if we can make the whole procedure work... but currently we can't make the procedure work unless we get the blacksmiths. That being said, I think we would have needed to send the ships this turn for everything to work out in the end?

OOC thoughts- how can we make it work? You mentioned to attract blacksmiths to the area. It seems they would only come if there was work pre-existing in the demense. The only way for profit would be to sell to others, like the Sicilians. If we wanted to build the chainmail ourselves, then we would need to wait 1-2 years so it would be ready maybe around the time that Frederick arrives.

I think though that I'd like to delay until we get the ship protections from Roger- which is arranged through the salt deal. So:
1. Salt First. and Try to attract blacksmiths or at least figure out how to profit from the chainmail. (2-3 seasons?)
2. Send ships (3 seasons? to 4 seasons?)
3. Ships return; forge to chainmail (1 year?)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:43:34 PM by Light Dragon » Logged

Modron

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 04, 2012, 01:05:20 PM »

OOC: I think my contributions have been eaten whole by Basile. Once for the Justice system and another for the walls... or the Aqua Virgo?

The Holiest of Carp
Flail Snail

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: March 04, 2012, 04:01:57 PM »

I'm reading Magnus' orders for last turn and I don't see any contribution... if I'm missing something, give me a page link and I'll correct it when I get back.  Last turn there was 1 Wealth in the Defense Fund and nothing in the treasury; the 1 Wealth in the defense fund was spent by Basile this turn, and 1 Wealth was added to the treasury by Patrician Pierleone paying his annual duty.

Since there are 100 senators, I'm a bit surprised that none have contributed to the city wealth/defense fund, following Basile, da Vinti, and ??'s lead in the contributions. What may be the reason for "all" of them to hold back?

The senatores consiliarii are among the richest Senators.  The average senator probably has 2 Wealth.  As for those who have more - well, clearly they're just not sufficiently motivated.  Also, keep in mind that many of the equites, the upper class of Rome, are not Senators.

I'm just about to step out the door here, so I'll tackle the other questions when I get back.

Modron

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 05, 2012, 10:23:15 PM »

Hey guys, where was that resource map Polycarp once released? I've searched, apparently I'm blind. Can't find it.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 125
  Print  

Jump to: