Ads

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 57
  Print  
Author Topic: Fimbulvinter  (Read 61773 times)
Spawn of Ungoliant
Flumph

View Profile WWW
« on: January 22, 2012, 05:04:09 PM »

Fimbulvinter

Ragnarök Approaches

Brothers shall strive and slaughter each other;
Own sisters' children shall sin together;
Ill days among men, many a whoredom:
An axe-age, a sword-age, shields shall be cloven;
A wind-age, a wolf-age, ere the world totters.

-   Völuspá

In the world of Midgard, winter has lasted for almost two years – two years of snow and ice, of hail and bitter cold, of frozen earth and lashing wind.  War sweeps the land as clan battles with clan for what food, livestock, and arable land remain.  The flesh of the dead becomes the meat of the living.  The laws of honour have been all but forsaken in a slaughterous frenzy.  Men fall on their own swords to deliver themselves from further horror.  Women smother their babes to spare them a life of tears and blood.

Ships built from dead men’s nails and born on the winds of Hel have berthed themselves on barren shores bearing armies of dishonoured shades.  Dark things stir in the mountains, creeping down from their lairs to slay men in the night.  Evil spirits in the form of flayed bulls or blue-black corpses leave travellers trampled or bloodless on the snow-strewn roads.  Linnorms wake from long slumbers, slithering down from their caves to snatch cattle in their monstrous jaws.  Trollwives chant prayers to fell powers and spill the blood of innocents on stone altars.

Soon Ragnarök will come and the world will end in fire born by the sons of Muspell.  But until then humanity lingers on, their hearts freezing in their breasts as surely as the fjords turn to ice, their faces growing grim and cadaverous, their ways turning to wickedness and savagery.

This is the time of death and desolation.

This is the age of darkness and despair.

This is the breath before the final battle.

This is Fimbulvinter.

So, yeah, I’ve been playing Skyrim lately...

Inspired by the d20 thread, I’m thinking of running a small, casual, episodic game using this setting and the Pathfinder rules, with drop-ins encouraged, similar to how I’ve been running Sixguns (i.e. intermittently rather than according to a weekly schedule).  The vibe I’m going for is sort of Norse Mythology + the Cadaverous Earth – post-apocalyptic Viking horror.  This will be a “Steerpike’s Beer & Pretzels” game – nothing too sophisticated, though with more creepiness and gruesomeness than your standard D&D dungeon crawl.

Note: I haven’t abandoned Sixguns, Spaceships & Cyclopean Horrors, and am still planning on running plenty more of those.  My notes for the next Sixguns scenario are about half done – enough in fact that we could probably start.  I’ll post more about that soon.

I’m curious if:

1)   People would be at all interested in this one.
2)   When they’d be free to play.  Tuesdays and Wednesdays are probably best for me.
3)   Should I allow people to make their own characters or stick with Pre-mades?

I'll post more world details and stuff if people are interested at all.

Races

Humans only to start.  There are other races around – various sorts of Elves, Dwarves, Trolls, etc – but those aren’t available for player characters.  If people die, I might consider non-human characters as replacements.

Classes

The following are playable Classes:

Barbarian - "Berserker"
Bloodrager
Brawler
Cleric* - "Gothi"
Fighter
Hunter
Inquisitor (of the Faith)
Paladin (of the Faith)
Ranger
Rogue
Seer (Oracle Archetype) - "Völva"
Shaman
Skald (Hybrid Class or Bard Archetype)
Sorcerer - "Seidman"
Warpriest* - "Gothi"
Witch
Wizard
Wolf Shaman (Druid Archetype) - "Úlfhéðinn"

Other classes might be used for NPCs. If you want to play a class not on the list, let me know.

*Possible Domains: Air (Wind), Animal (Feather, Fur), Community (Family, Home), Earth, Fire, Glory (Heroism, Honor), Knowledge (Memory, Thought), Luck (Curse, Fate), Nobility (Leadership), Protection (Defense), Repose (Ancestors), Rune (Wards), Trickery (Deception, Thievery), War (Tactics), Water (Ice, Oceans), Weather (Seasons, Storms)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 02:15:56 PM by Steerpike » Logged

Grengevir
Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 05:17:04 PM »

Sounds fun to me! I'm definitely on board to play. I'd like to hear more about your version of Midgard, of course.

Edit: I will always advocate players being able to make their own characters. Premades only is something I don't find particularly appealing. Also, Wednesday or Tuesday afternoon does work for me, but I'll have to leave at about 4-4:20 EST.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 06:17:56 PM by TheMeanestGuest » Logged

Let the scholar be dragged by the hook.

Planar Grazer
Yrthak

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 05:52:45 PM »

Looks interesting, if it was at a time I'd be able to play I'd love to. My schedule is fairly busy though tongue

Digital wizard
Yrthak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 07:25:36 PM »

I'm totally in if I can make the given time slot. Probably a ranger, ranger/rogue or fighter/rogue.

[insert witty statement here]
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 12:09:37 AM »

I'm interested in playing - my schedule is pretty busy, though weds is more likely to be a possibility for me than tuesday.

Aside: Right now, the posted classes don't strike me as particularly interesting. I was wondering if there are any other options or things we could discuss?

AnIndex of My Work

Sparkletwist

It's llitul and the brain, llitul and the brain, one is a genius and the other's insane
Proud Receiver of a Golden Dorito

Spawn of Ungoliant
Flumph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 02:55:10 AM »

I'd be open to different class options, for sure.  There might be Christian (or Christian-esque - not sure how historical I want to go yet) missionaries and wandering knights (Clerics of a different persuasion, Paladins, and Inquisitors) as well as monasteries to be raided.  They might be interpreting the eternal winter as a punishment from God for sin, or something.  I wasn't planning on making them available as player characters to start, but maybe I should...

Did you have something specific in mind, though?  I was planning on avoiding Monks (too Asian), Druids (too Celtic, though I suppose they might have been captured as thralls during raids, or something), and Wizards (too scholarly).  I could see having Witches, though.  If they were male they'd tend to be shunned as effeminate (ergi), but during Fimbulvinter some of those social barriers are starting to deteriorate.

How historical should I make things?  I was planning on making it a fantasy world along the lines of Seraphine's Cad Goleor or Gamer Printshop's Kaidan, or even Kindling's Dark Silver.  Does that sound better than an actual (alternate) historical campaign?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 02:57:19 AM by Steerpike » Logged

Grengevir
Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 10:09:42 AM »

Fantasy world sounds better to me.

Yrthak

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 10:37:54 AM »

Oh yeah! This is soooo metal laugh

Possible soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDgAAQBlANs&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9KbmRTgigQ

Aaanyway, quite how drop-in/drop-outable where you imagining this would be? I'd love to play, but securing mondays off for CE games means I'd feel bad getting any other regular day off as well - might leave others in the lurch. I'd be available on wednesdays and tuesdays fairly often - they're not busy days at my work - just not enough to want to commit unless it would be very easy for me to drop in and out of the game.

all hail the reapers of hope

Digital wizard
Yrthak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 10:57:35 AM »

I think it would be just as interesting to see you do a post-apocalyptic version of Earth for the time period. With the winter and the magic it could pretty well change the entire face of the planet, so "historical" might be stretched pretty thin as a definition and you might find it a lot easier to work with (unless you've already got a fantasy setting written up).

Edit: If there were missionaries, I might also be up for playing a paladin.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:06:10 AM by The Horse » Logged

Iä! Iä!
Yrthak

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 11:30:16 AM »

I'd prefer a game based more on the mythology than actual history.

¡ɟlǝs ǝnɹʇ ǝɥʇ ´ʍopɐɥS ɯɐ I
Paragon * (Paragon Rules) * Savage Age (Wiki) * Argyrian Empire

Spawn of Ungoliant
Flumph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 11:49:47 AM »

I think this would be pretty infrequent, Kindling, at least for now.  I just don't have the time to run two regularly scheduled games.  At least for the moment this would be an "every now and then" game.

I think I'll go with a more fantastic/mythological world textured here and there with bits of history.  Vikings need people to raid, so various non-Northermen will be around, but they won't be the focus and will generally be viewed as "craven Southron milksops."

[insert witty statement here]
Gelatinous Cube

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 03:38:16 PM »

Steerpike

I'd be open to different class options, for sure.  There might be Christian (or Christian-esque - not sure how historical I want to go yet) missionaries and wandering knights (Clerics of a different persuasion, Paladins, and Inquisitors) as well as monasteries to be raided.  They might be interpreting the eternal winter as a punishment from God for sin, or something.  I wasn't planning on making them available as player characters to start, but maybe I should...

Did you have something specific in mind, though?  [snip]

The three classes in Pathfinder I'm most interested in playing (in order of preference) are Summoner, Gunslinger (replacing with crossbows to suit time period, perhaps?), and Alchemist. (Incidentally, that's probably the same order of "Ease to make fit tone/theme")

Edit: Also, what level would this start at?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 03:41:32 PM by Xathan Back Again » Logged

AnIndex of My Work

Sparkletwist

It's llitul and the brain, llitul and the brain, one is a genius and the other's insane
Proud Receiver of a Golden Dorito

Spawn of Ungoliant
Flumph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 05:23:57 PM »

Starting level will be 2, and I'm thinking of instituting some form of E6 variant to keep things grim & gritty.

I could see doing a Summoner of a kind of Finnish shaman sort.  From what I've read the Norse thought of the Fins as supernatural weirdos (Wizard might even work for characters of that sort, as well).  Since I'm not using a strict historical world we wouldn't call the character a Fin, but we could come up with something similar.

Crossbows were pretty ancient so a crossbow-wielding "Gunslinger" is viable, though certain abilities (like Blast Lock and Stop Bleeding) wouldn't work.

The characters are all going to begin as thralls taken in a raid by a clan of cannibal marauders called the Blóðbards (Bloodbeards).

EDIT: Considering "E8" instead of E6.  Anyone have any opinions on that?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:01:16 PM by Steerpike » Logged

Grengevir
Giant Space Hamster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 06:15:55 PM »

Eight sounds fine to me.

A question (or several). Are you going to be tweaking armour and weapon costs to reflect the setting as a whole and the situation of the Northlands? How much cash do we have available at character creation? For stats I'm assuming we're using point buy, but how many points?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:18:23 PM by TheMeanestGuest » Logged

My name has nothing to do with internet gaming.
Yrthak

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 06:28:33 PM »

I'll give an online game a shot, considering I have yet to do it and I now have the time. I'll take the Berserker if that's cool.

Let's go teach these monkeys about evolution.
-Mark Wahlberg

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 57
  Print  

Jump to: